Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Loki: Agent of Asgard #7 *spoilers* - The Ice Cream Parlor of Doctor Doom.

Synopisis: Before we continue from last month, we get a brief interlude with Freyja and Odin, who has just become privy to Old Loki's existence. He basically tells her that whatever her plan is, it will blow up in her face.

While Doom has the Loki-cube put in his art gallery, World War Hate fully embroils Latveria. He is able to shield himself, but not his people, who are rioting.

Meanwhile, Verity and Valeria are talking. Verity manages to convince Val to free Loki, and then they use Gram to heal the Latverians. Verity is declared a sworn ally of Doctor Doom, and the issue ends with Magneto entering to recruit Doom and Loki.

My Thoughts: a much more filling issue than last month's 10 page monologue from Doom. Loki continues to be an excellent tie-in to Axis. The art is a little rough in spots, particularly the very square face Loki has in most shots.

Best quote: anything by Valeria, she's on fire this issue. But in particular this exchange:

D: Finish up here, child.
    V: Can we have ice cream later?
    D: Doom will consider your request.
    V (after he leaves): That means "yes." I hope we have strawberry.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post

D: Finish up here, child.
    V: Can we have ice cream later?
    D: Doom will consider your request.
    V (after he leaves): That means "yes." I hope we have strawberry.
    HAHAHA!! That's great. I've been missing this book.

Ewing does a lot of good work even with tie-in issues. The minus on the issue will be lack of Loki of course but the overall story and theme still going strong.

BANNED

I hope that since Mighty Avengers is wrapped up Ewing will go to a different title tondo alongside Loki. I really would read a "Doctor Doom" ongoing spun out of Axis.

He is still doing Mighty Avengers, it's just getting relaunched as Captain America and the Mighty Avengers.

It had some really nice moments, but suffers the same problem as the last couple issues, which I don't think is Ewing's fault exactly but still... It just felt like it wrapped up too quickly and easily, like it could have used more time to really flesh it out, and not make Verity talking Valeria into releasing Loki happen so FAST, a bit more time to show the riots, etc... I think it's just that Ewing has to contend with lining things up with events, first he had to wrap up issue 5 in one issue when it probably could have used 2 because of Original Sin, then that's over but then these past 2 issues with Doom could have probably done with 3 or 4 issues, but had to line up with the rest of AXIS, so 2 it is... I'm just looking forward to when he's not beholden to lining things up with events once AXIS is over, so he can pace things a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    He is still doing Mighty Avengers, it's just getting relaunched as Captain America and the Mighty Avengers.

It had some really nice moments, but suffers the same problem as the last couple issues, which I don't think is Ewing's fault exactly but still... It just felt like it wrapped up too quickly and easily, like it could have used more time to really flesh it out, and not make Verity talking Valeria into releasing Loki happen so FAST, a bit more time to show the riots, etc... I think it's just that Ewing has to contend with lining things up with events, first he had to wrap up issue 5 in one issue when it probably could have used 2 because of Original Sin, then that's over but then these past 2 issues with Doom could have probably done with 3 or 4 issues, but had to line up with the rest of AXIS, so 2 it is... I'm just looking forward to when he's not beholden to lining things up with events once AXIS is over, so he can pace things a bit better.
    Once AXIS is over he will have to line up with the next event.

That is just how it works on these titles. Ewing is quite good at this though unlike some.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

While Doom: Agent of Asgard is fun; he is NOT what I signed up for. Next issue - Magneto: Agent of Asgard. Hopefully when the event is over we can go back to Loki. Not loving Verity's extreme diet make over either. It is sooooooo unspeakable that we had a normal woman with a normal waist? I give it 3 out of 5, it was still very well written and Valerie was awesome!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 10-15-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Everything about this issue is perfect. PERFECT! Doom does a great blend of old school camp and being badass, Val is perfect, Loki is perfect. And finally we get Verity saying what everyone has been saying about Loki turning good. And Doom put Loki in the art hall, so it's all good. I'm looking forward to Doom, Loki, and Magneto doing anything together!

And can I add how much better a comic relief team member Loki is when compared to the average superhero team member (Human torch, Iceman, etc)? Not only is he funny he's also interesting. I'm thinking half of Marvel's lighthearted team members need to take some lessons from Loki.
    Last edited by Post Monster; 10-15-2014 at 03:40 PM.

All-New Member

I don't know, may be it's just me but Loki in this and last issue seems to be incredibly weak. First Dr Doom outsmarts and defeats him with almost no effort, then Verity, who is Loki's friend for some reason, saves Loki (and Loki did not know she would do it so that makes his embarrassing defeat to Doom totally legit ), then it's Verity who comes up with a plan to save the day and has to explain to Loki why it will work because Loki himself doesn't understand it. Seriously, at the moment, comparing with Kid Loki, who was innocent, without any powers, memories and experience, the current one, who has all that, that seems like an amateur.

BANNED

Another good Axis tie in issue....Valeria stood out the most though. Doom put it together quick as well. Are these 3 really gonna be the Astonishing Avengers during the event?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Once AXIS is over he will have to line up with the next event.

That is just how it works on these titles. Ewing is quite good at this though unlike some.
    At least this issue feels connected to Axis and gives us a great showing of Magneto while also showing just how strong this Hate Plague can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    While Doom: Agent of Asgard is fun; he is NOT what I signed up for. Next issue - Magneto: Agent of Asgard. Hopefully when the event is over we can go back to Loki. Not loving Verity's extreme diet make over either. It is sooooooo unspeakable that we had a normal woman with a normal waist? I give it 3 out of 5, it was still very well written and Valerie was awesome!
    If you wanted total realism, comics are not usually you're best bet. It can be hard to get a realistic figure, and Verity was at least evened out with a relatively conservative and normal looking outfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I don't know, may be it's just me but Loki in this and last issue seems to be incredibly weak. First Dr Doom outsmarts and defeats him with almost no effort, then Verity, who is Loki's friend for some reason, saves Loki (and Loki did not know she would do it so that makes his embarrassing defeat to Doom totally legit ), then it's Verity who comes up with a plan to save the day and has to explain to Loki why it will work because Loki himself doesn't understand it. Seriously, at the moment, comparing with Kid Loki, who was innocent, without any powers, memories and experience, the current one, who has all that, that seems like an amateur.
    Well, Doom's plan does seem pretty air-tight. It's not really anything we've seen before. You could argue that kidLoki had beginner's luck, and he did lose in the end, which is why we have the current Loki.

Extraordinary Member

Future Loki isn't a certainty yet.

If you read the end of Thor/Loki the 10th Realm, Odin does something in Teen Loki's presence that Future Loki
    doesn't remember experiencing.

And boy, does Future Loki throw a fit about it when he finds out.

So Future Loki is trying to make himself an inevitability, which he is not.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    At least this issue feels connected to Axis and gives us a great showing of Magneto while also showing just how strong this Hate Plague can be.
    Fan of G1 Transformers by any chance?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I agree with some of this. I still liked the issue, but Loki could be shown to be more competent at points. I mean, he is supposed to be a genius, he is supposed to be the most intelligent of the gods in Asgard, comparable to Odin himself. So, you know, it would have been nice if Loki at least came up with the plan to save Latveria.

But there's also an important character development here, where Loki willingly stabs the ball of light to release the wave of truth, despite the harm it will cause him, and that's pretty dang heroic. So that's a big F-you in the face of everyone saying Loki can't change.

But yeah, I'd like Loki to start showing a little more of the guile and brilliance that he's actually supposed to possess. And more magic too. That would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post

If you wanted total realism, comics are not usually you're best bet. It can be hard to get a realistic figure, and Verity was at least evened out with a relatively conservative and normal looking outfit.
    She wasn't even unrealistically thin, or thinner than previous appearances. (well, not a lot, anyway) I mean, I'm that thin. thinner. I'm 105 lbs and a size 0, and don't like, diet or anything. It's ridiculous to assume that thin automatically = unhealthy, or whatever. Some people really ARE thin AND healthy naturally. No need to pretend otherwise or erase them from existence.

Well, Doom's plan does seem pretty air-tight. It's not really anything we've seen before. You could argue that kidLoki had beginner's luck, and he did lose in the end, which is why we have the current Loki.
    It was not air tight, they pointed out multiple flaws IN THE ISSUE, that's why Valeria let him go. Also, frustratingly, Doom never bothered to check to see if his capturing Loki actually DID alter the future. He could have gone back, seen if the world was still wrecked or not, (while making sure Loki was still imprisoned in the future, of course) and he would have had evidence if Loki he had met was lying or not. That's the kind of thing I was talking about, the sort of thing they could have explored with another issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicjoke21 View Post
    I agree with some of this. I still liked the issue, but Loki could be shown to be more competent at points. I mean, he is supposed to be a genius, he is supposed to be the most intelligent of the gods in Asgard, comparable to Odin himself. So, you know, it would have been nice if Loki at least came up with the plan to save Latveria.

But there's also an important character development here, where Loki willingly stabs the ball of light to release the wave of truth, despite the harm it will cause him, and that's pretty dang heroic. So that's a big F-you in the face of everyone saying Loki can't change.

But yeah, I'd like Loki to start showing a little more of the guile and brilliance that he's actually supposed to possess. And more magic too. That would be nice.
    Yeah, Loki was just kinda along for the ride this issue, while I like Verity and it's nice to have her get a moment to shine, I mean... it's Loki's book...