Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Goyer attached to 'Krypton' TV Show

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...-name-krypton/

This is simply amazing! A Superman-Esque TV Show?!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10/...-name-krypton/

This is simply amazing! A Superman-Esque TV Show?!
    Yes yes yes, I want exploits of Jor El, I wanna see a whole side of Krypton preferably on cable tv.
    I can't wait for it.

Extraordinary Member

Rumour on Twitter is that FOX is behind it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Rumour on Twitter is that FOX is behind it.
    How can fox be behind this?
    As in, Fox ordered a pilot from wb?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    How can fox be behind this?
    As in, Fox ordered a pilot from wb?
    I believe so, well this is according to Superheroreport, and its only a idea.

Astonishing Member

With so many great superheroes to make shows for, why do they keep doing the whole "before the superhero even shows up" thing. I'm waiting for the school that Black Lightning works at before they hired Black Lightning, Paradise Island starring Hippolyta who really wants to have a kid and other such "prequels". I'd rather they just have flashbacks in Supergirl of teenage Kara on Krypton.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Goshdarnitall, I was all set to make a complementary thread to my old "Could a METROPOLIS tv series work" regarding this exact possibility.

Well, screw it: may as well start it here.

Could a KRYPTON television series work?

My answer: Yes ... But.

Yes it could work, But now is soooo NOT the right time to begin working on it. For a couple of reasons.

#1) Market saturation is real. In addition to Henry Cavill's MAN OF STEEL/BATMAN V SUPERMAN/JUSTICE LEAGUE/ JUSTICE LEAGUE 2/MAN OF STEEL 2 movieverse from WB (2013 - 2019?), we are also getting SUPERGIRL from CBS next year (2015 - ). Doing a KRYPTON television series at this time would seem to be tapping the Superverse too much too soon.

#2) DC is more than Superman and Batman, and there is a bit of the zero-sum pool going on here. The time, money and effort being put into this rumored project could go toward much more neglected intellectual properties, like say (deep breath):

DOOM PATROL or
    LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES or
    ETRIGAN THE DEMON or
    VIXEN or
    BLUE (BEETLE) & (BOOSTER) GOLD or
    MARTIAN MANHUNTER or
    STATIC SHOCK or
    HAWKWORLD or
    THE ATOM or even
    PLASTIC MAN!

#3) The timing for this project could be so much better in the future. The concept is fantastic enough that I think a KRYPTON tv series done right could be awesome, but I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle. Maybe after the DCCU Superman and SUPERGIRL tv series finish their runs. Maybe in 2023?

#4) You can forget about Russell Crowe donning Jor-El's suit again. He ain't coming to TV.

#5) Before we all lose our minds one way or the other, let's all remember this is JUST A REPORTED RUMOR at this point, with no concrete anything to it. More than likely, it'll not get green-lit for a very long while.

Goyer? Pass.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member

I strongly doubt it will be the movie-verse, simply as the effects are too grand for TV.

Incredible Member

Man this sounds awesome. I loved the world of krypton story dc did in the new 52 so a story with jor el and lara on krypton could be more awesome, I mean stories involving krypton are often the best superman stories so this could be way better show than smallville (although that wouldn't be hard).

Retired

It would probably be good for Fox paired with GOTHAM.

I'm worried about the whole dystopian angle. For Superman to work, I need to feel bad for him. But if it turns out that Krypton was a hell hole, then it's probably a good thing it was destroyed and it's better for Kal-El to be out of there. So what's there to feel bad about? Why should we care what happens to Krypton--we know that everybody dies (or most of them)--so the worse it is on Krypton the less is at stake.

At least with GOTHAM it isn't the whole planet and there are a few redemptive characters. But if Gordon turns out to be just as corrupt and the Waynes turn out to be just as bad as the criminals, then I don't have anyone to root for. If Bruce was in an abusive home with a criminal family, then it's probably a good thing his parents were plugged, so he could end up with a nice father like Alfred.

The more they try to make these environments mean and horrible, the more they chip away at any sense of contrast between good and evil. I don't want to read comics or watch TV shows about ethical relativism.

Not a fan of Krypton...I don't care about a Dying planet that has no basis in the DC Universe. It's GONE and is not a part of anything except for Superman and the people from Krypton that keep popping up. I, for one, will not be watching.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

So a Gotham but for Superman? I am in, DC can do wrong with TV atm.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Amazing Member

I am all in. Its a prequel no different from Smallville. People knew at the end of Smallville Clark would become Superman. Krypton has more to tell than a Dying planet, the people and the culture.