Page 11 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Another question: Cyber Force and Aphrodite IX are in the near and not-so-near future, right? So the timeline is Artifacts in the present, Cyber Force in the near future and IX in the far future? It's a bit hard to find confirmation of that post-rebirth online.

Also, am I correct in thinking they can be used in any combination if the timeline fits, as in the first arc/event period of Artifacts?

And speaking of Rebirth: if I were to set a story after another universal reset, would that be allowed or would it be too confusing? Basically, I want to know if I can fudge the continuity timeline-wise. :P

EDIT: Oh, and reading some stuff, I was wondering about the level of adult material that is acceptable here. After Rebirth there seems to be more Game of Thrones type sex and swearing in addition to fantasy violence. Which is cool, I just want to know how far we're allowed to go.
    Last edited by hunter_peterson; 10-29-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Another question: Cyber Force and Aphrodite IX are in the near and not-so-near future, right? So the timeline is Artifacts in the present, Cyber Force in the near future and IX in the far future? It's a bit hard to find confirmation of that post-rebirth online.

Also, am I correct in thinking they can be used in any combination if the timeline fits, as in the first arc/event period of Artifacts?

And speaking of Rebirth: if I were to set a story after another universal reset, would that be allowed or would it be too confusing? Basically, I want to know if I can fudge the continuity timeline-wise. :P

EDIT: Oh, and reading some stuff, I was wondering about the level of adult material that is acceptable here. After Rebirth there seems to be more Game of Thrones type sex and swearing in addition to fantasy violence. Which is cool, I just want to know how far we're allowed to go.
    Correct on the timelines there.

Another universe reset would certainly be too much continuity futzing. Don't overdo it.

As for Maturity level, know that shooting for PG-13 is usually your best bet, simply because sales will inevitably be higher and it's easier to distribute. There's nothing wrong with an M-rated comic, and we put them out, but if you're going to go for something with lots of violence/sexual content, make it integral to the plot. No gratuity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cow Ryan View Post
    Correct on the timelines there.

Another universe reset would certainly be too much continuity futzing. Don't overdo it.

As for Maturity level, know that shooting for PG-13 is usually your best bet, simply because sales will inevitably be higher and it's easier to distribute. There's nothing wrong with an M-rated comic, and we put them out, but if you're going to go for something with lots of violence/sexual content, make it integral to the plot. No gratuity.
    Thanks! It sounds like I've got decent grasp of the task so far.

Extraordinary Member

For the Artists do we have to stick 100% to the scripts when illustrating the action? Is it possible to make little changes like number of panels and views?

I found some differences between the scrpts and the finished comics, for example missing dialogue/speechbubbles or characters on a few panels. Which should I follow? Because some speechbubbles can change an entire layout for a page.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    I found some differences between the scrpts and the finished comics, for example missing dialogue/speechbubbles or characters on a few panels. Which should I follow? Because some speechbubbles can change an entire layout for a page.
    What a great question! It would help to know which script you are referring to, but that being said, when you work full script, where all the speech balloons are carved in stone, you plan your art around the placement of balloons. On the Artifacts 5 script there were areas where the writer said that he is just suggesting dialogue so the artist would have emotional context for the drawing.

So, DO plan for there to be dialogue balloons. Sketch in the dialogue balloons and see how your figure placement affects the balloon placement.

Artifacts #12 page 4 panel 6:

from the script:
    PANEL 6: We end the scene with Tom and Tilly both unconscious, Tom now back in his human form. Obviously there are a few destroyed Aphs -- and pieces thereof -- scattered around the clearing. The Aph who shot Tom announces, "The Survivor wants both of them..."

from the final issue:

As you see, no Aph and no speechbubble.
    (hope it's ok that Iam using this Panel)

I tend to follow the script, but it's a bit difficult for the composition not to know how much dialogue a panel needs.

Example:

Artifacts #12 page 3 Panel 3:
    Concentrate on Tom. The Rapture is starting to glow as Tom goes into "transformstion" mode, starting to turn to brimstone form. Tom mutters something cool that I haven't thought of yet.

To what Ron Marz said maybe this is not the finished version of the script.

A good storytelling is a good balance between medium-, wideshots and closeups. Having some Text or not having some text or diappearing characters can change everything for me.
    Last edited by Temujin; 10-31-2014 at 06:06 PM.

TRivas

I have a question, and if it was answered earlier in the thread please forgive me. But I was wondering if I have (what I believe to be) an awesome story that doesn't quite fit in with the history/continuity of the character (but is still in step with the spirit of the character) which master do I serve first? The story or continuity?

etech

In previous years, writers were instructed not to worry about recap pages since that's usually something the editors put together. Is it okay if we write one anyway to establish what the readers are already expected to know by page one of the actual story? This would be with the assumption that the editors would make us change whatever they thought necessary, like any other part of the script.

Also, if it is okay to write a recap page, would that count toward the 22 pages of script, or would you want 23 including the recap?

Quick question:
    Is it true that Ji Xi's powers include teleportation? I don't think I have ever read an issue where he actually teleports.
    Thank you for answering my previous question btw,
    N-

Amazing Member

Artifacts #12 page 4 panel 6:

from the script:
    PANEL 6: We end the scene with Tom and Tilly both unconscious, Tom now back in his human form. Obviously there are a few destroyed Aphs -- and pieces thereof -- scattered around the clearing. The Aph who shot Tom announces, "The Survivor wants both of them..."

from the final issue:

As you see, no Aph and no speechbubble.
    (hope it's ok that Iam using this Panel)

I tend to follow the script, but it's a bit difficult for the composition not to know how much dialogue a panel needs.

Example:

Artifacts #12 page 3 Panel 3:
    Concentrate on Tom. The Rapture is starting to glow as Tom goes into "transformstion" mode, starting to turn to brimstone form. Tom mutters something cool that I haven't thought of yet.

To what Ron Marz said maybe this is not the finished version of the script.

A good storytelling is a good balance between medium-, wideshots and closeups. Having some Text or not having some text or diappearing characters can change everything for me.
    The two extremes of comic book script writing are the "Marvel Style" and the full script. Marvel Style does not include dialogue balloons and can go so far as to not include panel breakdowns. The Marvel Style is absolutely dependent on the artist to bring their vision to the story -- the advantage to the Marvel Stye is that it allows for the dialogue to be adapted to the vision of the artist. The reason there are so many arguments about who contributed the most to the founding of Marvel: Jack Kirby or Stan Lee are because in working in the Marvel Style (general story idea versus full script) Jack would create something because he saw a logic in the story that Stan didn't. In Son of Origins, Stan credited Jack with creating the Silver Surfer! Jack said, "A being like Galactus needs a herald."

So you may get a script with vague descriptions of dialogue or explicit descriptions of dialogue, but it is up to you as the artist to make the decisions about the visual language. Artists can literally come up with fifty different ways to do a panel, you choose the one that you feel best conveys what you are trying to say. As I've said before, you can't slavishly follow a writer's script, because while they are wonderful creative people most can't draw and don't understand the limitations or advantages of this medium.

Let me add this, I do feel that many writers are really being lazy and calling it Marvel Style! As an artist I do need time of day, time of year, weather, descriptions of rooms, and types of cars and guns... To me leaving it all up to the artist means the writer is not doing their research!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningmax View Post
    The two extremes of comic book script writing are the "Marvel Style" and the full script. Marvel Style does not include dialogue balloons and can go so far as to not include panel breakdowns. The Marvel Style is absolutely dependent on the artist to bring their vision to the story -- the advantage to the Marvel Stye is that it allows for the dialogue to be adapted to the vision of the artist. The reason there are so many arguments about who contributed the most to the founding of Marvel: Jack Kirby or Stan Lee are because in working in the Marvel Style (general story idea versus full script) Jack would create something because he saw a logic in the story that Stan didn't. In Son of Origins, Stan credited Jack with creating the Silver Surfer! Jack said, "A being like Galactus needs a herald."

So you may get a script with vague descriptions of dialogue or explicit descriptions of dialogue, but it is up to you as the artist to make the decisions about the visual language. Artists can literally come up with fifty different ways to do a panel, you choose the one that you feel best conveys what you are trying to say. As I've said before, you can't slavishly follow a writer's script, because while they are wonderful creative people most can't draw and don't understand the limitations or advantages of this medium.

Let me add this, I do feel that many writers are really being lazy and calling it Marvel Style! As an artist I do need time of day, time of year, weather, descriptions of rooms, and types of cars and guns... To me leaving it all up to the artist means the writer is not doing their research!
    I know that and I've already worked with both and the problem here is I can't interact with an editor or with the writer. So if I feel I can do something really better I would do that. But sometimes it feels like that this is not the last version of the script and that maybe there is another version.

Amazing Member

I know that and I've already worked with both and the problem here is I can't interact with an editor or with the writer. So if I feel I can do something really better I would do that. But sometimes it feels like that this is not the last version of the script and that maybe there is another version.
    There's no other version FOR US. I know it's frustrating. This is not for publication, but you have to approach it like it is.

Kirby wrote what he thought the characters were saying in balloons, sometimes Stan used them straight sometimes he changed them. It limited the area he could use for the drawing , it also guided his composition and page design.

There are always going to be times when you disagree or have questions for the writer, in this case we don't have access to the writer, but as a comic book artist we have developed specialized skill sets through years of education and practice -- we have to be careful not to sell ourselves short. Your questions show the art intelligence to be successful at this opportunity, but you have to trust yourself. Helping the writer achieve their vision is a wonderful thing, but adding your talents and vision to the project is what the collaborative process is about. Do your best with what you have -- I hope to see it.

I'll help you any way I can, sketches, design, whatever.

If asked to help I will post artwork so everyone can learn from the experience.

It's not frustrating for me just sometimes confusing (thats ok) when I compare my sketches with the original artists work and there are baloons and characters missing. It's an interesting lesson to see how far away an artist can go away from a script.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightningmax View Post

If asked to help I will post artwork so everyone can learn from the experience.
    Yes, please. Always fascinating to see how other artists work!