Page 62 of 65 FirstFirst ... 12525859606162636465 LastLast
    ciaomeingott

Exclamation 8 pages of sequential art..

Quote Originally Posted by sjmancione View Post
    I was wondering the same, I looked through the previous contest's thread and it was 8 pages minimum for sequential art, I'm guessing that's what it is this year...?
    I may have missed the answer thumbing through this Discussion Thread, but I am wondering about the eight pages of art. Does the 8 pages have to be continuous sequential pages, or can the pages be groups of pages chosen from the script?

Thank you!!!!

Shirt Is Optional Member Attila Kiss's Avatar

Hello fellow contestants.

Hope you're all well and ready for the next round.
    This is a very exciting new contest. Very hard... but exciting nonetheless.
    Read through everything that was suggested in the rules, and have to complement the new direction Top Cow took with this property.
    It must be a helluva cheat-sheet to keep everything in sight, which makes the novice writers job that much harder.
    I mean even Matt had a small goof, and he's THE Man. (i.e. Hephaetus has no recollection of being resurrected for the first time, 25 years later in Issue #1 of IXth Generation, but in Issue #2 at the "last supper" scene Velocity clearly toasts to the first successful sync, at the time when it happened, with Hephaetus standing right beside her.)

I have an idea for a story, however the fact that IXth Generation series is not at the end makes me nervous.
    The nucleus of my one-shot is very fragile. For now it holds together, but not knowing what will happen in the remaining issues of the series, makes it vulnerable.
    One small event can shatter the most interesting part. Have to keep close eye on the future developments.

I would also like to grab this opportunity and ask if any artist wants to collaborate? Feel free to hit me up.

Best luck to the entrants, and looking forward to read all the works from the previous contest winners.

It was said before but it should be repeated,
    Thank You Top Cow for this amazing opportunity.

gonzoliving

I'm looking forward to be able to get my hands on the IXth Generation TPB that is being released on September 8.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ciaomeingott View Post
    I may have missed the answer thumbing through this Discussion Thread, but I am wondering about the eight pages of art. Does the 8 pages have to be continuous sequential pages, or can the pages be groups of pages chosen from the script?

Thank you!!!!
    Sequential pages are what they are looking for. Choose a set of eight sequential pages from the whole script.

If you work: Thumbnails, At Size Layouts, Finished pages -- then is should be easy to pick out the the strongest pages. But the measure of a true professional is how well she draws the parts that are NOT interesting to her. Try to find a good mix -- eight pages with interior locations, exterior locations, multiple culture sex age height weight characters, emotional scenes and birds, there should always be birds or squirrels.

Ryan Lord

The rules pdf states:

UNPUBLISHED
    What does this mean? I’m going to narrow it down specifically that if you’ve done work for any of these companies or any of their affiliates, divisions or imprints you can’t participate:
    I've colored a few covers for Boom, but other than that have never had my own digital art published, i.e. my only published work is coloring other people's art. Anyone know if that disqualifies you? It doesn't seem like it would since they're not looking for colorists in particular, but I thought I'd check before I spent time on any pages.

Thanks!

All-New Member

Hello everyone, Its my first try at the artist talent hunt. If anyone wants to add me as a friend on facebook look me up www.facebook.com/clinton.farley.art i always like having other artist friends to chat with.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post
    Hello fellow contestants.

Hope you're all well and ready for the next round.
    This is a very exciting new contest. Very hard... but exciting nonetheless.
    Read through everything that was suggested in the rules, and have to complement the new direction Top Cow took with this property.
    It must be a helluva cheat-sheet to keep everything in sight, which makes the novice writers job that much harder.
    I mean even Matt had a small goof, and he's THE Man. (i.e. Hephaetus has no recollection of being resurrected for the first time, 25 years later in Issue #1 of IXth Generation, but in Issue #2 at the "last supper" scene Velocity clearly toasts to the first successful sync, at the time when it happened, with Hephaetus standing right beside her.)

I have an idea for a story, however the fact that IXth Generation series is not at the end makes me nervous.
    The nucleus of my one-shot is very fragile. For now it holds together, but not knowing what will happen in the remaining issues of the series, makes it vulnerable.
    One small event can shatter the most interesting part. Have to keep close eye on the future developments.
    I was having a similar problem too. It's difficult to plan a story when you don't have control of the content in the story. It's also discouraging when we have no knowledge of where IXth Generation is going. I imagine that in the professional comic book community that there is more coordination between writers working in a shared universe or notes from editors saying stuff like "don't do this, because this writer is going to do this." So we are basically going into this blind. But I've found a way to work with this first everything you write can not make any changes in continuity and second it might to change the time setting of your story like perhaps instead of the story occurring after the events of the latest issue of IXth have it set before IXth. You could for example tell a story of what happens in the 25 years between Hephaetus being resurrected and issue #1. That way you know where the story is going and if the ending can work continuity.

All-New Member

Is this page setup to help pair artists and writers on the talent hunt.. or is it recommended to follow one of the pre-written scripts that are given instead

Quote Originally Posted by settlechaos View Post
    I was having a similar problem too. It's difficult to plan a story when you don't have control of the content in the story. It's also discouraging when we have no knowledge of where IXth Generation is going. I imagine that in the professional comic book community that there is more coordination between writers working in a shared universe or notes from editors saying stuff like "don't do this, because this writer is going to do this." So we are basically going into this blind. But I've found a way to work with this first everything you write can not make any changes in continuity and second it might to change the time setting of your story like perhaps instead of the story occurring after the events of the latest issue of IXth have it set before IXth. You could for example tell a story of what happens in the 25 years between Hephaetus being resurrected and issue #1. That way you know where the story is going and if the ending can work continuity.
    I placed my story in that same time frame of 25 years establishing the Kingdoms, and I haven't changed anything in continuity. In fact, everything goes along nicely with what we know so far, but... there is a twist, that makes the whole story interesting, and that twist is in jeopardy. I have a strong feeling the circumstances will change and render my efforts useless. If that happens, I'll sit this one out, unless I can think of another one.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonFarley View Post
    Is this page setup to help pair artists and writers on the talent hunt.. or is it recommended to follow one of the pre-written scripts that are given instead
    It's set up if you want it to be set up. All you have to do is reach out. Nice art, BTW.
    As far as I know, there's been team winners of this contest, previously. If I'm not mistaken: the last one, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Even if you work as a team, the entries are judged on it's own merits... me thinks.
    Last edited by Attila Kiss; 08-11-2015 at 02:41 AM.

Eddon't callmestark

Your posts have been like solid gold mate thanks!, I have a question to ask of you because in a course of creative writing my mentor told me that I lack "character driven stories" would you be so kind as to provide some intel on what makes a story "character driven" because i thought that as long as it was about telling the important story in the life of a character would make that trick, also English is not my native tongue so please I beg you be lenient with my grammar, thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddon't callmestark View Post
    Your posts have been like solid gold mate thanks!, I have a question to ask of you because in a course of creative writing my mentor told me that I lack "character driven stories" would you be so kind as to provide some intel on what makes a story "character driven" because i thought that as long as it was about telling the important story in the life of a character would make that trick, also English is not my native tongue so please I beg you be lenient with my grammar, thanks man.
    I think I can help you with that.
    A plot/action-driven story focuses on events that happen outside of the character's control. When the plot drives the story, external things motivate the character to take action.
    The focus lies on the external events and the character is basically along for the ride. This is like watching an action movie. It also means the story isn't very deep and relies more on thrills and entertainment.
    A character-driven story focuses on the feelings and inner motivations of the character himself. So the character is the source of why the story takes place, unlike with the plot-driven one.
    It often has the character grow or evolve in some way, where he must overcome personal/emotional obstacles. This would be like watching a drama. In this case, the audience should feel involved with the character, while in a plot-driven story the events provide the tension (like a time-bomb for example).

I hope that helps. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Eddon't callmestark View Post
    Like Sara said, think of the plot driven story as an Action Movie. Perhaps Martial arts film, where the cast is not trained in acting. Their lines are very limited to serve the story not the character. On the end you will most likely remember something that happened in the movie. You will also think of the cast member by his real name not the name he used in the film.

While the character driven story is a Drama, where the character will stop to smell the roses... if you will. Reflection into their inner self will explain what they do, why and how that makes them feel. On the end you will either like or hate the character. The story will only linger in your memory.

In comic books short stories and one-shots are better suited to be plot driven, because you don't have the space to develop the characters properly. While the ongoing books need character building to humanize the story. It's "talking-heads" vs. "constant battles". Finding the right balance is what makes the comic books interesting. In any case, listen to your mentor.

All-New Member

Hi everyone. I'd heard about the Talent Hunt before but this is the first year that I'm determined to submit a script. There's lots of work ahead, but I'm looking forward to it!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post
    Like Sara said, think of the plot driven story as an Action Movie. Perhaps Martial arts film, where the cast is not trained in acting. Their lines are very limited to serve the story not the character. On the end you will most likely remember something that happened in the movie. You will also think of the cast member by his real name not the name he used in the film.

While the character driven story is a Drama, where the character will stop to smell the roses... if you will. Reflection into their inner self will explain what they do, why and how that makes them feel. On the end you will either like or hate the character. The story will only linger in your memory.

In comic books short stories and one-shots are better suited to be plot driven, because you don't have the space to develop the characters properly. While the ongoing books need character building to humanize the story. It's "talking-heads" vs. "constant battles". Finding the right balance is what makes the comic books interesting. In any case, listen to your mentor.
    I beg the differ. The one shots being released for the IX universe are "character driven" stories. A character driven story can focus on an aspect of the character, the growth of the character or the point of view of the character. One of the most famous pov (point of view) character driven stories was Marvels. The Silver age of Marvel comics through the eyes of a non superhero character -- Kingdom come form the same team would be another. One shots and miniseries are excellent tools for exploring character -- which is what a character driven story would be.