Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Could a METROPOLIS tv show work?

Very excited for this fall (2014) on television:

Arrow season 3 premiere
    The Flash series debut
    Gotham series debut
    Constantine series debut
    iZombie series debut

GOTHAM's premise and upcoming debut has got me thinking ... sometime down the line from now, could a METROPOLIS television series work?

I say yes, it could. I also say yes, it would and should.

Here's my pitch:

Make Lois Lane the undisputed main character. Focus on her professional AND personal life. Make the city of Metropolis a character unto itself. And never show us a certain someone's point-of-view.

Regular recurring METROPOLIS characters:

Lois Lane
    Perry White
    Jimmy Olsen
    Cat Grant
    Steve Lombard
    Ron Troupe
    Franklin Stern
    John Henry Irons
    Natasha Irons
    Jose Delgado
    Bo "Bibbo" Bibbowski
    Inspector William Henderson
    Captain Maggie Sawyer
    General Sam Lane
    Lucy Lane
    Ella Lane
    Emil Hamilton
    Morgan Edge
    Bruno Mannheim
    Lex Luthor
    Mercy Graves
    Otis Berg
    Thaddeus Killgrave
    Oswald Loomis
    Winslow Schott
    Butch Mason (the villainous gangster from Action Comics #1, vol 1)
    Baron Sunday
    John Corben
    Rudy Jones
    Ultra-Humanite
    and
    Clark Kent

Yes, Clark Kent/Superman would show up in METROPOLIS, in costume to boot, but only from other people's perspectives. We'd only see Superman or Clark as Lois or other characters saw him. We see him in the sky, we glimpse him brawling before we have to get to safety. In other words, we don't go with Superman on his solo flights or fights, we never get inside his head. Think MARVELS miniseries from 1993: Superman (and Clark Kent) from the common man's eye. Also, this keeps the TV budget down considerably.

But we do get into Lois's head. METROPOLIS would revolve around Lois in the way THE SOPRANOS revolved around Tony. We get her point of view far more than anyone else's during the course of what would be (hopefully) a pre-plotted five-season run.

First episode starts with Lois on an all-time high, having just won her first Pulitzer. 28 years old, professionally established, nationally known as a ground-breaking risk-taking legitimate journalist. First episode ends with Perry White introducing her to a seemingly shy, introverted 22 year old Clark Kent who just scored his first real job as a reporter.

We don't go to Krypton (ever) or Smallville (much, much later on). No Superman origin story (other than his public debut at the end of the first season). It's all about living (and dying) in Metropolis, which would finally start to become a character like Gotham has, only in the opposite direction. You have the Daily Planet, Galaxy Broadcasting, Suicide Slum, STAR Labs, Cadmus Project (later), Lexcorp, Special Crimes Unit, Stryker's Island Penitentiary, etc.

I'd watch it.

I've rarely been interested in Superman stories that don't star Superman, which is why I rarely cared for Supergirl, Superboy, that Action Comics 2-year run that didn't have Superman, etc. I don't know if that Gotham show is going to be any good, but I can't say it has me stoked, mainly because it's Batman without Batman. I understand there are a lot of people who love the supporting cast, but for me this idea seems like one that's easy to pass up on.

This is the third time I've heard of a setup like that. The first was "Lois Lane's Daily Planet" which was meant to END with the introduction of Superman. This conception eventually became the basis for Lois and Clark: The new Adventures of Superman. Then I remember reading in at least one spot that "Smallville" was originally conceived to be about Lois and not Clark. I personally find the concept to be intriguing. The gist of such a tack would focus on a lot of the same sorts of things that "Lois and Clark was originally meant to focus on (with the romance only being secondary). It would be focusing on the newsroom and the intrigue of the articles that needed to be investigated/written. I personally love the concept, but I know so many people complain about "Lois and Clark" not having enough action and this sort of concept would (again) have that issue for those individuals.

But we do get into Lois's head. METROPOLIS would revolve around Lois in the way THE SOPRANOS revolved around Tony. We get her point of view far more than anyone else's during the course of what would be (hopefully) a pre-plotted five-season run.

First episode starts with Lois on an all-time high, having just won her first Pulitzer. 28 years old, professionally established, nationally known as a ground-breaking risk-taking legitimate journalist. First episode ends with Perry White introducing her to a seemingly shy, introverted 22 year old Clark Kent who just scored his first real job as a reporter.
    This ESPECIALLY sounds similar to the pilot of Lois and Clark. In it the VERY first scene we see is Lois being congratulated by the office for breaking an investigation of a car theft ring where she had to go undercover as a young man. She later comes blazing into Perry's office and interrupts an interview with a fresh from Australia Clark Kent trying to get a job at the Planet. It did give closer to equal time to Clark/Superman and Lois, though.
    Last edited by UltraWoman; 05-08-2014 at 05:03 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Not interested.

Like DochaDocha I'm not always down for a Superman show that has little to do with Superman......unlike DochaDocha however I bend the rules if Jim Olsen is the main character and POV. I like the idea of Superman coming in only as a plot device or a fixture in the world. I like Jim more than Lois for a show where Superman isn't the main focus because I get all of the crazy weirdness and fun that comes with Superman but without the heavy moral responsibility of the world. He can be a journalist, adventurer, you name it Jim can pretty much be it all and still be Jim. The Legion of Superheroes know him almost as well as they know Superman, and have had nearly as many adventures with him.

So to sum it up: for me it's Jim Olsen or bust when it comes to a Superman show that's not about our Superpowered main character.

I'd watch something like that for sure. A different angle to the Superman story, and one that accomplishes world building which would add a complementary and rich texture to the Superman myth, could only broaden his all around appeal and make him more accessible. I think one of the problems with Superman is that his city and his supporting cast hasn't received enough development, which places too much of a burden on Superman exclusively for any interest. It's important to care about the city he calls home and the people he chooses to love and befriend. I'd also add that if such a project were to ever get made, it would be neat if the actress playing Lois wasn't white.

BANNED

flushing this bad idea down the toilet of obscurity.

the main character of a comic adaptation should never be used as a plot device for a story based on their supporting cast. last i checked, superman was the draw here. for the same reasons, i think the gotham show is going to tank, that and it being on fox lol

Maybe, yeah. But much like my opinions on Gotham, why do that when you can just do a Superman tv show. I long for the day when someone in the industry has the bright idea of "screw all these fancy lesser interesting concepts, I want to create a show about Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Spider-Man/etc."

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I'd certainly give it a shot. Better idea than Gotham, that's for damn sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Maybe, yeah. But much like my opinions on Gotham, why do that when you can just do a Superman tv show. I long for the day when someone in the industry has the bright idea of "screw all these fancy lesser interesting concepts, I want to create a show about Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Spider-Man/etc."
    But that's the point. That's the draw. There is PLENTY of material out there with those characters get the spotlight. It's also ignoring the idea that this is a way to get people interested and aware of a hero's universe through a character that maybe they prefer, especially if you consider non-fans or people who are mostly just casually acquainted with a specific hero or who actually have grown to dislike a particular hero protagonist. I just think it's hilariously rich to suggest that the rebellious thing (i.e. "I long for the day...screw [this]") or best thing would be to pitch a show starring the traditional/cliche lead.

I also think Gotham is going to be a hit. Arrow is, Smallville was, and already I see posts on Tumblr for Gotham with tens of thousands of notes which is quite an achievement. People didn't think a show like Fox's Sleepy Hollow was going to be a success, but it is. A show that stars an awesome female lead, which supports a episodic case as well as long-term arc format, and that has a built in sci-fi/fantasy as well as potential romantic elements sounds viable enough to me to not warrant such lukewarm or pessimistic reception.

436 posts and counting... TheFearlessDefender89's Avatar

If its Lois Lane as the primary protagonist and the plot revolves around her world/P.O.V. constantly, then yes, Id love to watch a show like this. I'd love it even more if it explores her childhood, investigative skills, her snarky personality and her ability to rescue others without being controlled or becoming a meta.
    Pull List: Harley Quinn, Superman Unchained, She-Hulk, Ms.Marvel, The Fearless Defenders (R.I.P.)
    *~ValkyrieXAnnabelle~*

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    I'd also add that if such a project were to ever get made, it would be neat if the actress playing Lois wasn't white.
    Interesting. If I may ask why do you say this, because honestly I'd be more than down for such a thing.

Also nice to see you again

BANNED

another thing, the problem i see down the road with gotham is exactly why i shoot this idea down. people aren't going to be interested in a side character leading the show when everytime the main character (bruce) shows up, the side character becomes a guest in it's own series. with gotham, atleast bruce isn't batman yet. with this idea, how often are episodes going to devolve to supes making a guest appearance to save the day? and at that point why focus on a side character like lois or jimmy? the only way it could work is if supes isn't in the picture, but then who's name is going sell the show? lois? jimmy? get real people.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    But that's the point. That's the draw. There is PLENTY of material out there with those characters get the spotlight. It's also ignoring the idea that this is a way to get people interested and aware of a hero's universe through a character that maybe they prefer, especially if you consider non-fans or people who are mostly just casually acquainted with a specific hero or who actually have grown to dislike a particular hero protagonist. I just think it's hilariously rich to suggest that the rebellious thing (i.e. "I long for the day...screw [this]") or best thing would be to pitch a show starring the traditional/cliche lead.

I also think Gotham is going to be a hit. Arrow is, Smallville was, and already I see posts on Tumblr for Gotham with tens of thousands of notes which is quite an achievement. People didn't think a show like Fox's Sleepy Hollow was going to be a success, but it is. A show that stars an awesome female lead, which supports a episodic case as well as long-term arc format, and that has a built in sci-fi/fantasy as well as potential romantic elements sounds viable enough to me to not warrant such lukewarm or pessimistic reception.
    I'm just of the opinion its not much of a draw compared to the main event. TV to me is a huge untapped resource for the superhero genre. I think its a better platform for the concept than film, and second only to animation in alternative media for the characters. Thus its just tiring to me that everytime a project seems to be considered its a prequel or other type of tale that completely avoids the big gun. Its like ordering a really good hamburger but removing the meat.

If some people are more interested in the supporting casts, that's cool. But for my money I want what makes all that other stuff relevant in the first place. Give me Superman, not Metropolis. Give me Batman, not Gotham. And so on and so forth. All this other stuff is a supplement to me, its not the draw.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-08-2014 at 07:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I just don't think its AS big a draw as the main event, so to speak. I just think tv is a huge untapped resource for the superhero genre. I think its a better platform for the concept than film, and second only to animation in alternative media for the characters. Thus its just tiring to me that everytime a project seems to be considered its a prequel or other type of tale that completely avoids the big gun. Its like ordering a really good hamburger but removing the meat.

If some people are more interested in the supporting casts, that's cool. But for my money I want what makes all that other stuff relevant in the first place. Give me Superman, not Metropolis. Give me Batman, not Gotham. And so on and so forth.
    agreed, you can't build a house without the foundation anyway.

With all that said I think Batman series would probably be a little more practical than a Superman show. While I still think today's tv effects and costumes are not too shabby even on one of the big three's budget (even moreso on cable), Batman would require less effects with more a street level setting.

But man a Superman show on TNT or AMC or something? That would be orgasmic.