Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Default Batwoman #35 Discussion & Spoilers

So did anyone read this besides me? I... I'm not impressed. (4 out of 10)

The reason for me scoring it so low is because 1. There is no context or explanation for anything. We are dropped in the midst of the action and it's hard to constantly care or get wrapped up in what's happening since you don't know what the hell is going on.
    2. The artwork. Such a drop in quality. From J.H. Williams III to Trevor McCarthy to Jeremy Haun to finally Georges Jeanty. The guy's artwork is just so mediocre and lackluster overall.

But that's me complaining. What did you guys think?

Astonishing Member

Yeah it was pretty blah, and not what I was expecting or hoping from Andreyko. Was this really the first issue of a new arc?

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    Yeah it was pretty blah, and not what I was expecting or hoping from Andreyko. Was this really the first issue of a new arc?
    Yep. Next issue we find out how they actually got there.

Ya, i thought it was pretty bad. To me the Futures Ends issue already did the whole how did we get here thing that this issue was going for.

Incredible Member

I actually thought this was the most fun this book has been...in a long time. Kate had her snark and she was the very competent "boss". Sure, we didn't get context. But this was just straight up comic book action and it worked for me. Jeanty leaves some to be desired, but I like his Batwoman.

The problem isn't that we're dropped in en media res or that we don't full explanation within the span of the issue - if those are intrinsic faults then half of Morrisons run would've been at issue. The problem is that nothing meaningful or illustrative actually happens here. It's all one long fight scene with characters spouting inane cartoon nothingness at each other. No relationships, conflict or plot that I can discern. I'm not sure how Andreyko or the editors thought that this would be cool.

I actually loved how WTF this issue was. Def sticking to see how the arc pans out. I'm a sucker for wacky left turns like this.

Astonishing Member

I liked the art. And the craziness. And Red Alice.

But not the plotting. Dropping us into the action was fine. Giving us "how they got there" next issue is fine. 20-page fight sequences are not fine.

I like the Unknowns team (seriously except for Batwoman they're all killers!), but am not keen on you know ... "they can talk in space". I've never given a crap about DC's Morgan Le Fay, but at least when she turned up in Aquaman I was like "ahaha somebody playing the "King Arthur" connection!" If she is to be a nemesis for Etrigan, we simply must have more Kirby. Kirby-max. There'd certainly be merit to trying to tell a Jack Kirby Batwoman story.

But anyway, it all comes back to being 20 pages of fight scene. Ugh ... I want detective mysteries.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Looks like I jumped off at the right time. I'm gonna have to read Elegy all the way up to the end of Williams/Blackman's run and wonder 'what the hell happened to one of DC's most unique and enjoyable books?".
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Ultimate Member

Lesbian vampires, that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Lesbian vampires, that's what happened.
    The absence of decent/any characterisation came first.

Spectacular Member

Wait Jeanty is on this book now? Guess I won't bother even reading this in trade, I suffered through 2 seasons of him on art in Buffy, I've had my fill of him.

Astonishing Member

I thought Andreyko's writing on Manhunter was stellar, and thus had high hopes for him on this book. Nothing would probably be as good as the Rucka/Williams run, but surely this would have been better than what Williams/Blackman were doing. How this mess was published is beyond me.

All-New Member

You are suppose to be dropped in the middle cause of the ending.. Even batman doesnt know why he was being attacked until the end... Made me wish the month will go faster.. Do you think he really is back ??? Blah thought it was batman 35 nevermind but lesbian vampires sound cool and all lol...

BANNED

I was annoyed as well. We had a cliffhanger then futures end that seemed to continue that story years into the future and then suddenly we're dropped into another new story in another time. Time Travel Whiplash because the author has some sort of whim. If this hadn't been on my pull list I wouldn't have gotten it. Sometimes I think the writers have too much faith that we like the character enough not to drop the book after this sort of stunt. I'm sitting here looking at issues 34 and 25 and I'm wondering if they didn't make a mistake and throw in an old story without realizing it.