Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Showings

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Yeah, I have to admit, I only copy-pasted it.
    Googled, but can't find the scans.
    Searching scans when you don't know which issue etc is really a pain.

But I think it's still safe to say that it's her basically her concept to go around and beat people, no matter how powerful.
    It's her shtick, she was created to do this, so I don't see any problem with her *feats*
    If it would be somebody else I'd objectify.
    I get that is her in joke, but doing research on it shows me 99% of the stuff happens off panel. The ones that do happen on panel(like Deadpool and Wolverine) do not really show her as that powerful. Also the Thanos thing, Thanos after that flat out says he figured out a way to make clones so good they fool cosmics. That..kind of seems like a nod at the whole Squirrel Girl thing. Since that is an oddly specific thing to mention.

For instance, if Squirrel Girl defeated a Living Planet..that shit would be all over the net, I assume it would not be hard to find, I mean..come on, a living planet defeated by squirrels? The meme's alone make me shudder, this would be something easy to find if it happened(I would think).
    Last edited by Surtur; 10-22-2014 at 02:38 PM.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Going back to the Silver Age, Hal Jordan, while wearing the Power Ring, gets knocked cold by a falling tree branch.

In an animated show, Batman did a wristlock throw on Superman. Wristlock throws such as the one he did work because of the pain and because you throw yourself to avoid damage to the wrist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    In an animated show, Batman did a wristlock throw on Superman. Wristlock throws such as the one he did work because of the pain and because you throw yourself to avoid damage to the wrist.
    I like to believe that Clark, taking pity on Bruce, decided to just go with the flow and pretend he was shocked by the move and just allowed it to happen. Batman was like "the little engine that could" to him, he just didn't have the heart to take him down before allowing him to get a move in.

Though on the plus side, Supes does get him back. In the episode where Superman has to dress up and pretend to be Batman he more or less does Batman's job a lot better and easier then he ever could of(in taking out Bane, Riddler, and Mad Hatter all at once). Bruce actually kind of got lucky that Brainiac decided to put nanites in him. If he'd encountered that suped up version of Bane he probably would of been screwed.
    Last edited by Surtur; 10-22-2014 at 07:24 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

naruto vs. a tree root.

naruto, a kid who has fought through some of the worst injuries you can imagine, trips over a tree root and he's out of the fight with kisame.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    naruto vs. a tree root.

naruto, a kid who has fought through some of the worst injuries you can imagine, trips over a tree root and he's out of the fight with kisame.
    You're mixing two things there.

Naruto clone tripped over a tree root when fighting Black Zetsu wih the Mizukage and the others. Being the fair, Black Zetsu manipulated the plant life so he would trip there.

Against Kisame, he wrecked his ankle because he was unused to his new speed and went too fast.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Last edited by Twickster; 10-22-2014 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post

I laughed at how the writer goes out of his way to make that ambiguous statement at the end where he could be saying this is in continuity so deal with it or he could be jokingly saying that something else is in continuity so that somehow by association makes this in continuity but it's really not.

BANNED

No point in posting the Thanos thing, Marvel more or less gave Thanos an out with that not being him. Might as well just assume she was dealing with a Doombot as well. I also still can't help but notice we don't see exactly what happened, which is my point. Squirrel Girl is just like the toonforcers, she needs actual feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Showa Rider VS Heisei Rider.
    I love the Showa guys, I do, but they really shouldn't have stood a chance against the Heisei-era Riders.
    While it may/may not be applicable to Sentai, it certainly is to Power Rangers, at least for the Zordon era and then recently with the "Super (insert team name here)" format. Saban seems really intent on making each team stronger than the last, but when the time comes for nostalgia, suddenly the older, inferior powers are just as good -- if not better -- than the current powers; and then that means the big bad threat that's overwhelming the current team jobs to the older powers.

---
    Since Data vs. Troi has been mentioned, I'll bring up the Enterprise-D vs. the old Klingon Bird of Prey in Generations as well. Oh, Riker -- his tactics include fancy flying maneuvers, tactical reports, mindless technobabble, and firing phasers ONCE (maybe twice so that the bad guys get another line to say that their shields are holding).

---

I also remember one crossover that received a decent amount of hype: the X-Men teaming up with Shang-Chi. Cool! Except Shang-Chi was ambushed and defeated by Wolverine. Normally comics being what they are, it wouldn't be a big deal especially since Logan's one of the premiere fighters, but Shang-Chi repeatedly and routinely defeated Wolverine many times before and after, and even trained Logan a few times when he was in crisis. Plus, if one of the X-Men beats Shang-Chi at his forte, what the hell does Shang-Chi add to the team-up anyway? Ugh. Senseless AND pointless.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-23-2014 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    No point in posting the Thanos thing, Marvel more or less gave Thanos an out with that not being him. Might as well just assume she was dealing with a Doombot as well. I also still can't help but notice we don't see exactly what happened, which is my point. Squirrel Girl is just like the toonforcers, she needs actual feats.
    That's the problem though. Squirrel Girl was conceived by Marvel as a Silver Age joke character in a modern comic. I swear I can recall she mentioned that herself. As such, her "power" is weaponized PIS, she can beat any character by author fiat, and really has the overwhelming number of victories to back it up which numerically eclipse her low showings and are too consistent to ignore. As such, in Rumbles, it may be best to classify her under the same category as "luck powers" or "narrative warping powers" (such as Jack Slater in Last Action Hero), i.e. "powers which are simply best not to put in rumbles in the first place."

Marvel more or less gave Thanos an out with that not being him
    Or the ethically challenged supervillain with a massive ego could simply be lying. Logically, Squirrel Girl with her powerset should be no more likely to beat a Thanosi clone than the real Thanos anyway, and yet still did (unless that Thanosi clone was street level, to which Uatu certainly did not think so), so that explanation is as good as any.
    Last edited by Twickster; 10-23-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    As such, in Rumbles, it may be best to classify her under the same category as "luck powers" or "narrative warping powers" (such as Jack Slater in Last Action Hero), i.e. "powers which are simply best not to put in rumbles in the first place."
    That works for me. The only people who have any business being matched up with her in Rumbles are non-serious 4th wall breaking characters. Otherwise, any fights against characters who are meant to be played straight will be a foregone conclusion thanks to editorial edict (and the feats that reinforce it).

----

Anyway, I've another addition: X-Men: TAS Jean Grey. Without the Phoenix Force, I think every showing was a low showing -- up to and including the times when she tripped just running into battle alongside her teammates.

BANNED

The problem is they happened off panel though. The really impressive ones at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    That works for me. The only people who have any business being matched up with her in Rumbles are non-serious 4th wall breaking characters. Otherwise, any fights against characters who are meant to be played straight will be a foregone conclusion thanks to editorial edict (and the feats that reinforce it).
    Yeah see, this doesn't make any sense. So Wally West vs Squirrel Girl ends with her winning? What on panel feats support this? She doesn't get handwaved feats for stuff we see off panel, just like toon forcers have to pony up actual feats and not things they say happened or stuff that we don't see how it went down.

You also essentially just said Squirrel Girl beats Odin, Galactus, etc. in a rumble.
    Last edited by Surtur; 10-23-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Yeah see, this doesn't make any sense. So Wally West vs Squirrel Girl ends with her winning? What on panel feats support this? She doesn't get handwaved feats for stuff we see off panel, just like toon forcers have to pony up actual feats and not things they say happened or stuff that we don't see how it went down.
    Think of it like "luck powers" (which is basically author fiat in power form). Longshot could conceivably beat Wally West (i.e. Wally West could drop dead of a stroke the moment the bell rings). This is obviously stupid, but with luck powers (i.e. editorial fiat), it's possible. The very nature of the power is "pull whatever made up situation out of your ass to win" and doesn't require on panel feats as every situation would obviously be different. Which is why its best not to put powers like this in rumbles in the first place.

You also essentially just said Squirrel Girl beats Odin, Galactus, etc. in a rumble.
    I can imagine a situation where this is the case (i.e. Odin spontaneously goes into the Odinsleep, Galactus forgot to eat and just dies of starvation), which is the point. Powers like these are meaningless in a rumbles setting.

Although if you really want to contest the "no limits fallacy" of author fiat joke characters, then perhaps rumbles rules can be applied to the "level" of opponent, i.e. Squirrel Girl can beat opponents similar to the strongest characters that by author fiat she has beaten (i.e. Thanos is one, the Living Tribunal isn't... yet). But then this is merely a vain attempt to apply rumbles rules to PIS personified.
    Last edited by Twickster; 10-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Yes, yes I did, and she does it in the same way that Popeye, Bugs Bunny, Chuck Norris, and Internet-Jackie Chan-With-A-Ladder can also beat Odin and Galactus. It doesn't make any sense because she herself makes no sense.

Twickster mentioned Longshot, which I think is a fairly decent example, but it's only happened fairly lately -- the guy managed to outmaneuver the In-Betweener with his luck powers. It was rather surreal how it happened, and nothing he's done before has ever shown his powers working on that scale, but it happened and the story handwaved the logic because there was virtually no scientific logic, only conceptual logic. In the majority of his appearances, Longshot's played more or less straight, but he now has licence to operate on a bigger scale that makes it senseless to apply him to Rumbles without stipulations.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-23-2014 at 11:28 AM.