Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Can The JSA exist in Earth 0 without negating Superman as the first public hero?

I think so, I was watch the Absolute Justice episode of Smallville this morning and was think that DC could adapt it in a similar fashion by having the JSA (without Superman and Batman of course) existing but not to the general public,say after World War 2 so they wouldn't be that old, and ARGUS forced them to retire.

Thoughts?

Spectacular Member

I would like that definitely.

Spectacular Member

I had the idea a while back to make the JSA a sort of Global Frequency-esque team, operating covertly but still with codenames, powers, etc. Someone, probably Alan Scott, funds the group. You could even work in Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman as members of this network in secret identities (Clark for his journalism, Diana as spy/agent, Bruce maybe as another financial backer or a consulting detective). The Justice League is the first superhero team, with Clark, Bruce, and Diana using costumed identities, and the JSA perhaps decides to go public then.

Remember the green room from FE: ARGUS? I always though than the guy inside was Alan Scott of earth-0. Just speculation, but I found it very much suspiciuos.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Remember the green room from FE: ARGUS? I always though than the guy inside was Alan Scott of earth-0. Just speculation, but I found it very much suspiciuos.
    Its possible but then again he turned out to be a Crimson men.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Superman isn't even the first super hero in the New 52 thanks to Wraith. The JSA could easily work as a covert team during WWII.

The problem is that WWII is 70 years ago. Most of the JSA would have to be at least 20-ish, if not older during the war. That means all of them are in their 90's. You need to contrive a way to not have them to have aged a bit (so they are much older than Batman) but at the same time not enough so they are completely geriatric.

Also the problem is that if you have the JSA working as a "covert team" during WWII, what's the point? That wouldn't be the true JSA, and you might as well just let StormWatch do that.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Also the problem is that if you have the JSA working as a "covert team" during WWII, what's the point? That wouldn't be the true JSA, and you might as well just let StormWatch do that.
    Which is why the JSA doesn't really work for Earth 0.

All-New Member

What If (tm) the JSA had been found in 1995 after having been frozen in the Arctic for 50 years?

Oh, sorry, been done. That's why Stan Lee has been around for so long.

hsalf

BANNED

Or what if they had been around, but then they went away and everybody was hypnotized to forget about them...

Oh wait, Marvel did that already too...

Fantastic Member

Why do they have to have been around during WW2? Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they stay in america because of the spear of destiny or something? Why is it important that they were around then? Can't we just transplant them like we did with batman and superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    Why do they have to have been around during WW2? Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they stay in america because of the spear of destiny or something? Why is it important that they were around then? Can't we just transplant them like we did with batman and superman?
    Because if you take the original JSA out of that 1940s/WWII-era setting, they then become faux-versions of what many people want and enjoyed. (Sort of like the current Earth 2 book with the poor man's JSA wannabes.)

(Sort of like the current Earth 2 book with the poor man's JSA wannabes.)
    Can someone call the Anti-Monitor to destroy that fake Earth-2?
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Because if you take the original JSA out of that 1940s/WWII-era setting, they then become faux-versions of what many people want and enjoyed. (Sort of like the current Earth 2 book with the poor man's JSA wannabes.)
    I think the short answer to the OP is a resounding "No".

I think the long answer to the OP is

"No, because in too many people's eyes, the JSA is tied to World War II, for better or worse. They are not and will never be the enduring icons that Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman are. And the reason for that is the Trinity has grown and adapted to the always-changing times of real-life while the JSA stays stagnated in the 1940s era as a kind of period-piece. That's why the Trinity stays relevant, and the JSA is often left on the sidelines, or banished away from the mainstream."

Personally, I think it'd be neat to try out a timeline where there are NO legacy heroes, sidekicks or direct derivatives, and just do merged versions of the mantle heroes:

- a single Flash who is part Jay, part Barry, part Wally (EDIT: I think this single merged version is kinda what we're now seeing on CW's THE FLASH ... that ain't just Barry in there);
    - a single human Green Lantern who is part Alan, part Hal, part guy, part John, part Kyle;
    - a single Atom who is part Al, part Ray, part Ryan;
    - a single Blue Beetle who is part Dan, part Ted and part Jaimie;
    - a single Hawkman who is part Carter and part Katar;
    - etc, etc

You get the idea. And have their Justice team be a merging of the Society and the League. Have this Justice group form shortly after the public debuts of Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman, and go from there ... just an alternate timeline/universe, not a New52/Crisis level reboot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Superman isn't even the first super hero in the New 52 thanks to Wraith. The JSA could easily work as a covert team during WWII.
    Wraith isn't a hero lmao.