Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What series are you currently collecting?

As a twenty year old full time student and part time worker I have a seriously low monthly income and also am pretty new to collecting comic books. Despite these circumstances I have managed to fill up my first short box in only five months.
    I am currently collecting:
    Amazing Spider-man (including Learning To Crawl)
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spiderman
    Edge Of Spider-Verse
    Superior Spider-man
    Spider-man 2099
    Iron-Man (ended)
    Teen-Titans
    Future's End

I was just curious as to what some of my fellow comic book collector's weekly and monthly pick ups are. So if you would like to give me some insight, please comment what series you are currently collecting as well as how it goes with your normal spending, as in do you spend too much on comic books, or do you buy only a few series because of your income?

I am a thirty year old college instructor, and so my income isn't much different than what it was when I was a twenty year old student, unfortunately. Therefore, I really limit myself on what I buy monthly.

This year, I've paid for the monthly adventures of Iron Fist, Silver Surfer, and the New Warriors; however, I had to drop NW due to even less fiscal flexibility than usual.

Generally, I pick up a lot of stuff that I missed in trades from the yearly comic con that I frequent. That's where I get all my Spidey stories - in TPB form.

If my math is correct - and I teach English-related subjects, so it might not be! - it's cheaper to subscribe to Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited (with access to a vast library of comics) than it is to buy TWO monthlies throughout the year. That's sad, and I might be making the switch soon(ish) to subscribing to MDCU and only buying physical copies in TPB form.

But I'll admit: I would miss the thrill of "New Comic Book Day!"

-Pav, who cannot say enough good things about Iron Fist: the Living Weapon...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

As a student I feel your pain OP.
    I'm currently collecting
    ASM
    Axis
    Edge of spider-verse
    New warriors
    Spider-man 2099
    And reading some others online.

Extraordinary Member

As a student also, I'm somewhat lucky that I don't come across the fees (Being 16) and I'm lucky that with my part-time job, its pretty much whatever I want. But I only get the odd comic in TPB, perhaps three maximum a month.

Amazing Spider-man
    Spider-man 2099
    Edge of Spider-verse
    Death of Wolverine
    D.O.W. the Logan Legacy
    Detective Comics
    RedHood and the Outlaws
    Multiversity
    Coffin Hill
    Wytches
    will be getting Gotham by Midnight, wolfMoon,and Shaft. Also some of the tie-ins to Spiderverse.

Roadie Avenger

I'll probly be the odd man out here, but as a 35 yr old roadie, I spend a literal ass-ton on comics every month. I will not eat for a week before I drop a series for financial reasons. Granted, I make decent coin and don't spend much on anything else. It's the same with my comics insurance. I'll let my car insurance, my homeowners insurance or my health insurance lapse before i don't pay that comic premium.

So here's my current pull-list:

Amazing Spidey
    Spidey 2099
    all of the Spider-Verse tie-ins and minis
    Daredevil
    New Warriors
    Uncanny Avengers
    Guardians off the Galaxy
    Thunderbolts
    Deadpool
    Hawkeye vs. Deadpool
    Deapool: Art of War
    Empire of the Dead
    Death of Wolverine and all of it's tie-ins and minis
    Wolvie & the X-Men
    X-Men
    All New X-Factor
    Magneto
    Loki: Agent of Asgard
    Thor
    Axis and about 95% of it's tie-ins
    New Suicide Squad
    Harley Quinn
    Batman
    Walking Dead
    Spawn
    Sex Criminals
    Grimm Fairy Tales
    Wonderland
    Grimm Tales of Terror

and that's just the regular pull list. Not counting any variants I see that I like or the random off-the-wall indie title that my guy suggests.

....it's an addiction, I probly need help.

As a student without a job, for the past month its been
    Amazing Spider-Man
    LTC
    Edge of Spider-Verse
    Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man

but for the rest of the year and pretty much until I get a job its Amazing and USM for the time.

My book pick ups are kind of irregular. But there are book I do pick up definitely.
    New Warriors
    Superman Unchained
    Edge of Spiderverse
    Justice League united.
    Superior Foes
    But other than that I usually end up buying back issues.

Fantastic Member

Various factors (price, space, mass-cancellations of stuff I like, changes in reading habits, ect) have changed my buying habits a lot in recent years. I haven’t bought a “floppy” in over three years. I haven’t read a physical collection or OGN since Bryan Lee O’Malley’s “Seconds” a few months back…though I just ordered the newest volumes of Blacksad, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, and Astro City.

However I’ll read a ton of stuff digitally thanks to Comixology and Dark Horse sales and Marvel Unlimited. Listing what I’m reading would take forever (I like nearly everything Monkeybrain publishes, for example) and I’m mostly behind on the more popular publishers’ stuff anyway. Just this week I read a couple Atomic Robo trades on my phone; it was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Doom View Post
    I'll probly be the odd man out here, but as a 35 yr old roadie, I spend a literal ass-ton on comics every month. I will not eat for a week before I drop a series for financial reasons. Granted, I make decent coin and don't spend much on anything else. It's the same with my comics insurance. I'll let my car insurance, my homeowners insurance or my health insurance lapse before i don't pay that comic premium.

So here's my current pull-list:

Amazing Spidey
    Spidey 2099
    all of the Spider-Verse tie-ins and minis
    Daredevil
    New Warriors
    Uncanny Avengers
    Guardians off the Galaxy
    Thunderbolts
    Deadpool
    Hawkeye vs. Deadpool
    Deapool: Art of War
    Empire of the Dead
    Death of Wolverine and all of it's tie-ins and minis
    Wolvie & the X-Men
    X-Men
    All New X-Factor
    Magneto
    Loki: Agent of Asgard
    Thor
    Axis and about 95% of it's tie-ins
    New Suicide Squad
    Harley Quinn
    Batman
    Walking Dead
    Spawn
    Sex Criminals
    Grimm Fairy Tales
    Wonderland
    Grimm Tales of Terror

and that's just the regular pull list. Not counting any variants I see that I like or the random off-the-wall indie title that my guy suggests.

....it's an addiction, I probly need help.
    This...this right here is the life goal haha

As a Stay at home dad who relies on Selling off parts og my comic collection to keep buying new ones my pull list is restricted to a few. those being

Amazing Spider-Man
    Edge Of Spider-Verse
    Spider-Man 2099
    All the Spider-Verse tie-ins and mini's

Well I am a 40 year old new father of one and in sales.

I currently pick:
    ASM
    Spider-Man 2099
    Edge of Spider-verse
    SSM
    Uncanny Avengers
    New Avengers
    Avengers
    DD
    FF
    Velvet
    Amazing X-men
    Savage Wolverine
    Elektra
    Futures End
    Batman Eternal
    Detective
    Justice League
    GotG

Now I will be dropping a few of those but will also pick up some new ones. As I narrow down my list I also put money away to purchase back issues as I find reading and collecting the back issues (especially from the 60's to mid 80's) to be more enjoyable.

Incredible Member

Avengers
    New Avengers
    Uncanny Avengers
    Secret Avengers
    Avengers World
    Thunderbolts
    She-Hulk
    Iron Fist
    Moon Knight
    New Warriors
    Elektra
    Silver Surfer
    Axis

About half of those I get through Marvel Subscriptions which is about $2.26 (or somewhere there abouts) for a 12 issue subscriptions which to me is pretty good if you don't mind waiting a week or two to get your comics (longest I've ever had to wait for an issue is a month BUT that's few far and in between)

Also this is about as big as my pull list has ever been & most likely ever will be as I'm usually somewhat selective in what I choose to follow & most of the other folks at my LCS usually laugh at my meager pull list.
    Last edited by classicgmer; 10-18-2014 at 08:47 PM.

Current:
    Miles Morales:Ultimate Spider-Man
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Spider-Man 2099
    All-New X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men
    All-New X-Factor (T_T)
    CYCLOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Switched to trade:
    Magneto

Collecting soon:
    Spider-Gwen

In my early thirties, and I don't make as much as I should, but I'm enjoying all the great comics that are out right now.

In addition to everything that's in my signature, I'm collecting Spider-Verse, trade-waiting on Axis, and am looking forward to Gotham by Midnight, Spider-Gwen, and possibly Spider-Man and the X-Men. I'm looking at Captain Marvel and Magneto as back issues only (my LCS has a good rewards programs on back issues). I'll probably drop Avengers and New Avengers after Hickman's run is over, depending on who takes it up after him. I'm curious about Superior Iron Man, having picked up some of Gillon's run, but I'm hesitant as I wasn't completely sold on the concept of a hidden twin brother.

On the plus side, buying so many comics each month (and picking up back issues half-price at my LCS, like Superior Spider-Man), I'm not eating out as much, and I'm losing weight. It's like killing two birds with one stone.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"