BANNED

Default Rate the story arc: Infinity

Just caught up and got done reading it and quite enjoyed it but I'd like to see others input as well.

Scale of 1-10.
    And give some likes & dislikes of the story from your perspective.

I'd give it a solid 8. It was ambitious, and the fact that it was (primarily) all written by one guy sets it apart from most other recent events. I liked the scope of it and the dual threats of Thanos and the Builders.

My main complaint would be that the cast was so huge that only a handful of the characters really got any attention. If I had to come up with another complaint it would be that a few scenes that could have been cool happened off panel.

But overall a great event. Solid plot, good characterization, and impressive art.

I want to give it a 10, because I love Hickman, but I can't. 7, I guess.

I think his characterization is spot on, but the entire series (Infinity included) feels like "this is what happened while the Avengers were around" instead of "this is what the Avengers did." Eden and Captain Universe do the vast majority of the work, and while they are technically Avengers, they just feel like friends of the Avengers to me.

The art was very good.

I don't mind that the story was just an extension of Avengers and New Avengers, because I was collecting those anyway.

4 out of 10.

This was not a good story. It was big and bombastic and exciting, it was a cool spectacle, but it wasn't a good story.

I think it had two major, major problems. First off, how the various threads were resolved. The Builders were defeated by Captain Universe waving her hand. Most of Thanos' fleet was defeated by Starbrand waving his hand. Supergiant, or whatever her name was, was defeated by Lockjaw teleporting her away. And Thanos himself was defeated by Thane waving his hand. In all four cases, the Avengers themselves didn't actually resolve a damned thing. They didn't beat the Builders, they only slowed them down long enough for Captain Universe to finish her nap. (And, as an aside, Captain Universe's initial removal was not done well. She teleports to a planet that the Builders are about to blow. Why did she not confront them then and there? Why did she let herself get exploded? Because the story needed it to happen. It wasn't logical, it was done purely to make the story work.) The Avengers didn't beat Thanos, they just stalled him until his kid could do it. It's supposed to be their story, but they didn't actually get to win the day.

The second major problem is this: What was the point? A good story needs a point, something that justifies its own existence. A story without a point is a spectacle - it may be entertaining, but it's not a good story. I have absolutely no idea what the point of Infinity was, except maybe that we're ultimately powerless against larger forces, and the only hope we have is for other larger forces to take pity on us and save us. Infinity wasn't a fascinating exploration of a complex theme. It was a stream of exposition punctuated with Big Moments.

Infinity was some sound and fury, signifying nothing.

BANNED

I see sort of what you mean, Tiamatty.
    What I got out of the end is that the event signified the beginning of the end of days for the MU.