Super Moderator

Default CBR TV: G. Willow Wilson Taps Into the Zeitgeist with "Ms. Marvel"

Writer G. Willow Wilson joined CBR at NYCC to discuss the surprising success of "Ms. Marvel" and how it feels to create the right book at the right time.

Full article here.

BANNED

This was a very good interview. I really hope somewhere down the line marvel will put out more characters in the same vein as Ms. Marvel. Be nice to get more interesting an unique backgrounds telling their story while kicking major butt.

I love this book so much. It has heart and realness and non-realness. It has everything. And it's SUCH a Marvel book.

Here's hoping for Kamala to meet/befriend Rogue before even meeting Carol. That would be a lovely twist.

Wilson deserves a lot of praise for making one of the most entertaining comic books Marvel's put out in years with a character that, frankly, I hope Marvel never tries to make 'edgy'
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    Wilson deserves a lot of praise for making one of the most entertaining comic books Marvel's put out in years with a character that, frankly, I hope Marvel never tries to make 'edgy'
    Agreed. This book is perfect the way it is.

Astonishing Member

Love the writer and I am simply amazed how strong Ms Marvel is as a title. I have seen so many teen book fail miserably. This book feels real and yet very light and fun. If I were DC, I would back up the money truck to get her to revive Teen Titans.

Also Alphona deserves major love for his work as well.

MaShallah

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I really enjoyed reading the interview. Willow Wilson has written a comic that is exciting, funny, and endearing. I look forward to this one more than any other. Wilson has done a great job portraying Kamala as a adventuresome teenager who is also attached to her family but is to shy to let her feelings for Bruno get out. The story is also fun and exciting without being stupidly dark. This is just a great book.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Ms. Marvel, to me at least, is the best Marvel comic I've read all year. There's so much personality, character, humor, and most importantly, heart & soul to it. There's just really no other Marvel book (even a lot DC and Indie books can't even accomplish all of those at once) that has all of those traits at once.

I just love this lady's chill attitude towards the naysayers.

Indeed, I wish I can be just as chill because looking at the CBR Facebook page on this...what the freaking hell is up with those commenters?

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Love the writer and I am simply amazed how strong Ms Marvel is as a title. I have seen so many teen book fail miserably.
    Eh, the sales aren't very good (though not awful) and are in the same general range (#90-100 monthly rank) as several already-cancelled titles like F4.

I think if Marvel thinks they say this is a huge success a lot, it'll become one.

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    Eh, the sales aren't very good (though not awful) and are in the same general range (#90-100 monthly rank) as several already-cancelled titles like F4.

I think if Marvel thinks they say this is a huge success a lot, it'll become one.
    For a title featuring a new character it is very good.

The important thing is that, sure, in comparison to the headliners, her book's numbers aren't all that impressive, but for a newcomer title it definitely is. Plus IIRC, her digital sales are very strong, which I think is something Marvel is really happy about.

Just imagine what happens when her character will be taken to the next step and brought into stuff like video games, TV, or movies.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Cool interview. I love the hell out of MS. MARVEL.

I even tolerated Wolverine for a few issues there, which isn't an easy feat for me.