Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Technically the first issue, but hardly the start of Hellboy's story, yes.

Wow. I finally got a chance to sit down and read this today. What great read.

Maleev's art is great a usual but also a fun shift in look for Hellboy. But mostly getting to read Hellboy's adventures from this moment in his life, and this pitch perfect start, has me tremendously excited for this title.

One of the best comics I've read in quite a long time. I plan on getting a non-Hellboy-reading friend to start with this title. Hopefully he can still find issue #1.

All-New Member

For some reason, our comic book store has a gazillion copies on the shelf. I hope they sell well.

As soon as it was mentioned Hellboy was going South America, I knew this would happen. Even still, some may consider this a spoiler...

The cover of #5.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    As soon as it was mentioned Hellboy was going South America, I knew this would happen. Even still, some may consider this a spoiler...

The cover of #5.

That's great. He's gonna give that guy such a punchin'!

Spectacular Member

I dunno, doesn't seem like Maleev does action very well. the fight in #2 look kind of clunky on some pages.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post

The cover of #5.
    Wow, von Klempt on a minion body is surely the bestest action-figure ever! Together with Screw-On Head of course.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Nobody read this? This is the best book currently on the stands in the Mignolaverse. Why isn't anyone talking about it?

The Claw of Justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Nobody read this? This is the best book currently on the stands in the Mignolaverse. Why isn't anyone talking about it?
    I just got my copy this morning. This issue was awesome! I'm happy whenever evil monkeys show up in a comic.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    I just got my copy this morning. This issue was awesome! I'm happy whenever evil monkeys show up in a comic.
    Same here and it was awesome! I loved the scene with the crocodile and the native. Any one familiar with Brazilian folklore care to enlighten us on the names of those two?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Same here and it was awesome! I loved the scene with the crocodile and the native. Any one familiar with Brazilian folklore care to enlighten us on the names of those two?
    I was wondering the same thing, as it was an intriguing scene. Mignola typically seems to do a thorough research job when including elements from regional folklore or religion. I also would be interested to hear more about who these figures are.

I am loving this series so far.

The scene with the crocodile is just perfection. It's moments like that where you just grin and know why you love Hellboy comics so much.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I tried looking it up, and Japetequara doesn't return much, though it is a Brazilian alligator spirit of some sort; an Encantado. A "living spirit".

After a little more reading, it seems the Encantado are shapeshifting animals, and I caught a small reference to the Macaw also seen in the issue.
    Last edited by Joker; 03-04-2015 at 01:13 PM.

I tried looking it up, and Japetequara doesn't return much, though it is a Brazilian alligator spirit of some sort; an Encantado. A "living spirit".

After a little more reading, it seems the Encantado are shapeshifting animals, and I caught a small reference to the Macaw also seen in the issue.
    Cool. Well searched!

Won't 'encantado' just be meaning 'enchanted' in Portuguese (or Spanish - coincidence?!) 'though? Serious question, as I'd be not fluent at either. My French would come closest I guess, but then English'd prove rather less of a hassle for me.

And 'macaw' usually makes me think of 'Macau', as formerly colonized by the Portuguese; according to Wikipedia the colonists inquired after the region's name and what they could interpret of the reply was something sort of sounding like the Portuguese word for 'apple' to their ears, being 'maça'.

Would that Home Alone boy be named after apples too? Are there macaws in Macau? Or Home Alone movies?

A parrot or either macaw seems to be a symbol for the 'New World' in ways, like at least for milky white (-ish) sailors back in the day. Parrots would be fruits-eaters I'd wager, so that makes it sound like Macau'd be like the land of fruit-eaters in Portuguese?!
    I have far too little books on Brazillian / Latin-American / Tropical / Oriental mythologies would seem the inevitable conclusion here. Same for alligators. Not even a Cookbook on those!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 03-04-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper