Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    As i recall , didn't the original starbuck got stranded on a planet with a cylon and eventually became friends but the cylon sacrificed itself to save starbuck when a group of cylons came to rescue one of its own.
    Yes though, strictly speaking, that was in "Galactica 1980".

Favourite series?

I want to say the remake but I watched all the episodes of the original and loved most of them. I started out liking the new one and it was good but, eventually, the morbid and dark got to me and I never finished watching the whole series.

Favourite Cylon?

Cy from the original was good but I have to say Number Six.

Favourite theme?

The original. Is that one even a debate?

And, like a new, theatrical film, or new show?

I'd say theatrical since we just had a new series already. Though if it was themed more along the lines of the original, maybe a show.

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    Or like when the Cylon Super Raider is about to crash and the human androids make the comment that the Centurions only have like 1% chance of survival an the Centurions give each other the WTF looks.
    Or, when the cylons were going to use the same trick of a peace conference again and the humans were ready and the one cylon soldier says, "Apparently, it was not as much of a surprise as we had hoped"

Or when the other battlestar appeared. Dialogue went something like:

Leader: We will destroy them.
    Soldier: Sir...
    Leader: We will crush them.
    Soldier: Sir...
    Leader: Quit interrupting me at out moment of triumph.
    Solider: Sir, I really think you should look at the other battlestar.
    Leader: WHAT?

Or in Starbuck's last episode when the cylon realizes a baby is about to be born on the planet. "Another human? I am quickly being surrounded by humans."

Extraordinary Member

This show and Buck rogers were my shit.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    This show and Buck rogers were my shit.
    Many of the props in Buck Rogers are just props from Battlestar Galactica

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    Many of the props in Buck Rogers are just props from Battlestar Galactica

Oh yeah they had the same guns,same production company.

Incredible Member

The Earth Directive star fighters were early prototypes for the BSG Vipers.

Jersey City - or you can call it The TWiLighT Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    The Earth Directive star fighters were early prototypes for the BSG Vipers.
    I don't remember seeing a BSG episode showing that be the case, I do however recall seeing a Star fighter like ship in the intro of BSG.. You recall which episode showed that??

Quote Originally Posted by d.w washburn View Post
    And it was titled. "What ever happened to Starbuck". It was the best and ONLY good episode that came out of the 1980 series. And Cy is my fave cylon from the TOS series.
    Actually, (insert nerd "snort"), the episode was titled "The Return of Starbuck".

It's great to see the original series getting some much deserved love here. Never really cared about the remake, but always wished there had been some sort of conclusion to the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I've recently been binging the 1978 series and am loving it! From it's retro Star Wars aesthetic to the goofy Cylons to the swashbuckling ladies man Lt. Starbuck, I can't get enough. So here's a thread for everyone to discuss their favorite BSG moments whether it be from the original series or the 2004 revival or even Caprica!
    Ah, where do I start?

Well, of course there's the initial migration of the Colonial Fleet from the ruins of the Colonies, in clear parallel with the Twelve Tribes of Israel departing Egypt in search of the Promised Land. In this case, the desert is space.

And of course there's The Living Legend, where the Colonial Fleet is reunited with the legendary Commander Cain and his crew. Plenty of great moments in that one, with some great lines, such as Starbuck's telling Sheba "If we were realists, we'd all be dead back on Caprica."

Starbuck always was one of my favorite characters. He was basically the Han Solo of Battlestar Galactica, with a few elements of Captain Kirk in the mix. A gambling, womanizing guy, but his heart is definitely in the right place.

It was interesting seeing how his relationship with Cassiopeia developed. Of course, this led to Athena (his previous 'main' love interest) being de-emphasized and suffering from what Brian Cronin referred to as 'Potsie Weber Syndrome': A situation where a character is still in the series, but their initial role is nowhere near as relevant as before. The writers don't seem to know what to do with them so they just have them show up in odd places here or there. Named after Potsie from Happy Days, who suffered from this after Richie Cunningham left the show).

This also happened to Boomer (Apollo and Starbuck's fellow pilot) once Sheba became a regular on the show. Sheba basically took Boomer's place alongside Apollo and Starbuck as 'the main trio of Viper pilots', and we saw less of Boomer from that point on. He got demoted to being a recurring character like other Viper pilots Lt. Jolly, Bojay, and Greenbean (the last of whom was played by Ed Begley Jr, by the way).
    Last edited by Chris Lang; 02-16-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    If anyone was to do a new BS show, would you set it in a different period, or same as original, as Sackhoff starring?

Would you feature Starbuck at all, and, if so, male, or female, or have one character for original Starbuck and another for female, for two different purposes?

Any particular actors, themes, or episodes, Seasons, or Mini/Maxi series?

And, streaming service, or a particular channel?
    To me, Starbuck and Kara Thrace are separate characters. Both good in their own way, but very little in common with each other. I think if I did a new variant of BSG, I'd have equivalents for both of them in it.

I'd mostly set it in the same time frame as the original, with the occasional flashback to the days of the Colonies so that we can further appreciate what the Colonials lost when the Cylons attacked.

As for the Cylons, the original series too had a 'don't create what you can't control' aspect to their backstory, but that was only mentioned in one episode and then never again. Of course it's worth playing up the 'cautionary tale' aspect a bit more, but not TOO much.

And yes, I'd have storylines revolving around replenishing their food supplies, making sure that the Agro ships are protected, and whatever new supplies they obtain are safe for human consumption and all that. As well as some political dissension, and the Viper pilots having to decide whether to obey certain restrictions or not.

And I'd feature a good number of female Viper pilots as well. For the most part, Sheba was the only female Viper pilot in a prominent role. Athena's aforementioned 'Potsie Weber Syndrome' didn't lead to any long stint as a Viper pilot (she basically turned up as a Bridge officer and a teacher in other episodes), and the other female Viper pilots (Dietra and Brie) faded into the background, though Brie appeared briefly in a speaking role in a later episode. The 70s, sadly, weren't ready for more than just the 'token female', but we've come a LONG way since then.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    I don't remember seeing a BSG episode showing that be the case, I do however recall seeing a Star fighter like ship in the intro of BSG.. You recall which episode showed that??
    Both shows were Glen Larson Productions and the fighters used in Buck Rogers were early designs/prototypes models for the Viper one-man fighter ship. Larson (or someone else in the production staff) shot down the design for one that was eventually used in BSG. When Buck Rogers was given the go ahead for a movie and series they used the earlier Viper design to be the standard fighter for the Earth Directive. A little bit of recycling.

The agro ship used in BSG was also a recycled design/model that was used as space greenhouse in the movie Silent Running.