View Poll Results: What is your opinion of The Joker?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like The Joker (feel free to explain)

72 60.00%
  • I'm indifferent about The Joker (feel free to explain)

15 12.50%
  • I dislike The Joker (feel free to explain)

33 27.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
    Well I don't read, write or any way interact with fan fiction (though fair play to those who do - just not my thing) but the rest of this I totally agree with. I always hear people saying what a great character he is but I just cannot see it. To me, the Joker is just a lunatic who kills people and makes bad jokes, not exactly deep.

I am sure people will tell me all about the way he has many different personalities/versions and the Mystery Multiple Choice background but those aren't positives. If he could be anything, to me that means he isn't anything. Is he a wacky goofball? Is he a serial killer? Is he a gangster in face paint? He's been presented as all of those and more besides but none of them are the 'real' him, or any more real than the others. And if we don't know his back story/motivation then he may as well not actually have one, he kills because he kills. He messes with Batman because that's just how he rolls.

Doesn't have a reason, doesn't have a purpose, doesn't have a point. Characters can change over time, Golden/Silver/Bronze/whatever age sensibilities mean different takes on the characters, I respect that. But when a character can act totally differently in two stories in the same month and that is actually supposed to be 'in character'? Not for me. At all.
    Tehehe, you explained it better than I did I think. I mentioned trying to write the Joker once upon a time simply to point out that I had given the character and what to with him some thought. My conclusion was that beyond being a potential plot device for random otherwise nonsensical shocks and his desire to torment Batman there wasn't much but an empty shell.

BANNED

He is the god of chaos Batman is trying to bring order Joker is the hell no it's all chaos it's all random and always will be.He's batshit crazy and I love him.Ledger's performance in Dark Knight has taken him to a level I don't think comic writers now can replicate but need to strive for he's the anti Batman nuff said.

Really interesting to read everyone's opinions! It seems like there's a pretty large majority that favor The Joker (at least at this early point in the poll).

I have a question to those who say they don't like him because he's over-used-- being that The Joker is by far not the only character who's used to this extent (Lex Luthor, for example, is another one) is it really the over-use that's influencing your decision, or is it the character himself you don't like? There's bound to be stories that fall flat and are just plain stinkers from time to time for every character (and Batman himself is no exception), so is it the over-use that's made you grow to not like him or did you not care for him in the first place?
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    Really interesting to read everyone's opinions! It seems like there's a pretty large majority that favor The Joker (at least at this early point in the poll).

I have a question to those who say they don't like him because he's over-used-- being that The Joker is by far not the only character who's used to this extent (Lex Luthor, for example, is another one) is it really the over-use that's influencing your decision, or is it the character himself you don't like? There's bound to be stories that fall flat and are just plain stinkers from time to time for every character (and Batman himself is no exception), so is it the over-use that's made you grow to not like him or did you not care for him in the first place?
    For me it is the over-use of the character. Because it will follow less good stories and thus watering down the character; quality over quantity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWgyKDfFC_U

To me this scene is why the Joker is the perfect foil and enemy of Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    None of those options. I like him as a character but he just needs to be used less so his stories are more effective. Luckily it seems that DC agrees since he hasn't been used for some time now.
    Wasn't death of the family just one year ago?
    Hold my Annihilus- Johnny Storm

Joker's cool, but overexposed. As the Gotham show shows, other villains like Penguin can actually be really compelling if you have a good take on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Randumbz View Post
    Wasn't death of the family just one year ago?
    Death of the Family ended with Batman issue 17 which was released in february 2013 that is over 1 1/2 year ago. It doesn't seem like there is a new Joker story cooking. End game will bring as to about the two year mark for Joker's last appearance.

Taught this tweet by Snyder was rather relevant. He is apparently writing Joker at the moment. Too soon?
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 10-19-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
    Well I don't read, write or any way interact with fan fiction (though fair play to those who do - just not my thing) but the rest of this I totally agree with. I always hear people saying what a great character he is but I just cannot see it. To me, the Joker is just a lunatic who kills people and makes bad jokes, not exactly deep.

I am sure people will tell me all about the way he has many different personalities/versions and the Mystery Multiple Choice background but those aren't positives. If he could be anything, to me that means he isn't anything. Is he a wacky goofball? Is he a serial killer? Is he a gangster in face paint? He's been presented as all of those and more besides but none of them are the 'real' him, or any more real than the others. And if we don't know his back story/motivation then he may as well not actually have one, he kills because he kills. He messes with Batman because that's just how he rolls.

Doesn't have a reason, doesn't have a purpose, doesn't have a point. Characters can change over time, Golden/Silver/Bronze/whatever age sensibilities mean different takes on the characters, I respect that. But when a character can act totally differently in two stories in the same month and that is actually supposed to be 'in character'? Not for me. At all.
    Bull hooey. Joker's got a personality. There are character traits that he consistently has no matter what his current persona is.

Why does he need a definitive origin story? How many previously mysterious, scary characters were ruined by TMI? Did "Hannibal Rising" do any favors for Hannibal Lecter? Dude was a brilliant cannibal psychiatrist, isn't that more than enough? Did we really gain anything by finding out about his childhood? No, in fact it ruined the mystery and made the character lesser for it. And poor old Darth Vader sure wasn't done any favors by that prequel.

Not to mention that other characters have constantly had their origins stories tweaked and rewritten in an effort to revamp the character. Catwoman? She was prostitute. No, she was a dominatrix. No, she was an little orphan thief girl. No, she's the daughter of that mob boss. No, she's the daughter of some other mob boss.
    So why is a character who always had a mysterious origin worse than characters who have their origins constantly rewritten?

And please he always has a reason and a purpose. Name me a Joker story where he does something for no reason?

As much as it feels like they use him way to much, I love the joker. He is completely insane and is driven by his madness, Batman needs the Joker as much as the Joker needs Batman.

I do think Joker needs a update though, what it is and how they do it I don't know but it just seems like the right time to update the character.
    Straight Shot Mob

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I love the Joker when he's written/portrayed how I think he should be written/portrayed - as a criminal mastermind who is very aware, very conscious, and even conscientious (even if psychopathic), of what he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickfighter View Post
    Decide. Is he crazy and just needs to be put out of his (and my) misery? Or is he a brilliant planner with evil goals?
    Yeah, that bothers me too. I think different fans like either of those types of portrayals, some fans I'm sure like both. But I don't like it when he's portrayed as some insane lunatic, who apparently just so happens to devise these brilliant, complex crimes and plots on a whim. It almost seems oxymoronic.

It's as if some writers use his disturbed and sadistic mind and sense of humor to define his psyche, rather than vice versa.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Mind MGMT, Promethea

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    Bull hooey. Joker's got a personality. There are character traits that he consistently has no matter what his current persona is.

Why does he need a definitive origin story? How many previously mysterious, scary characters were ruined by TMI? Did "Hannibal Rising" do any favors for Hannibal Lecter? Dude was a brilliant cannibal psychiatrist, isn't that more than enough? Did we really gain anything by finding out about his childhood? No, in fact it ruined the mystery and made the character lesser for it. And poor old Darth Vader sure wasn't done any favors by that prequel.

Not to mention that other characters have constantly had their origins stories tweaked and rewritten in an effort to revamp the character. Catwoman? She was prostitute. No, she was a dominatrix. No, she was an little orphan thief girl. No, she's the daughter of that mob boss. No, she's the daughter of some other mob boss.
    So why is a character who always had a mysterious origin worse than characters who have their origins constantly rewritten?

And please he always has a reason and a purpose. Name me a Joker story where he does something for no reason?
    Oh he has reasons for doing what he's doing in any given story, but those reasons change all the damn time. Does he love Batman, or hate him? Kill him, or make him kill? Get a genuine laugh out of Batman or laugh at his expense? All of those are equally valid so which is the REAL Joker? Is there even a real Joker - if there isn't he can't truly be said to be a character any more, simply a plot device.

I concede that Lecter was done no favours by the big reveal of his back story but it's not totally the same. He was always a genius, cannibalistic serial killer, whose motivations turned out to be rather terrible... BUT he didn't switch between killing people, robbing banks, corporate crime and freelance terrorism on a whim - doing so was/would be out of character, but not so for Joker, who has no consistent character to be out of. Vader's fall from grace would have been a lot more moving/dramatic if actually written/acted by someone with real talent but he was always a fallen Jedi even before the paternity reveal. He didn't swing between cackling prankster and one-liner death quipper. He was always a big scary b#####d who killed people.

None of these are the same as the Joker, and better for it.

I like the Joker's maniacal behavior but sometimes he talks too damn much.
    Last edited by Detox; 10-20-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Roadie Avenger

Quote Originally Posted by swing kinker View Post
    ... for instance I can't believe he's coming back to the main book already. Far too early, guarantees sales though
    You nailed it there.

I was ready to drop Batman because Zero Year bored the hell outta me, but I'm sticking with it just to see how this new Joker story turns out.