View Poll Results: What is your opinion of The Joker?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like The Joker (feel free to explain)

72 60.00%
  • I'm indifferent about The Joker (feel free to explain)

15 12.50%
  • I dislike The Joker (feel free to explain)

33 27.50%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I felt like this with the BWL many times.

REMINDER: This thread was originally started back in October 2014
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With 109 votes,
    * I like The Joker = 67 votes
    * I dislike The Joker = 28 votes
    * I'm indifferent about The Joker = 14 votes

Still some new I like The Joker voters chiming in.

My feelings on the Joker tend to vary from story to story. For the most part, I do like him. Hell, he's part of the reason the Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies of all time. That said...I think he's fine....in doses. I don't really like seeing him everywhere and I still don't like that recent storyline where he attacked Bruce Wayne directly (I always preferred the idea that the Joker knows who Batman is but doesn't care because he's only interested in the persona). But I also recognize that he's gonna be used a lot since he's Batman's most marketable villain and he, himself, created one of DC's most marketable characters (Harley)

So it is, what it is. Do I mind seeing him? So long as he's not the Jared Leto version, no. Would I mind if he went away for a very long time? Also no.

Put me down as "indifferent".
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-04-2021 at 01:52 PM.

The old saying "How can I miss you if you never go away?" is how I feel about villains like the Joker and Lex Luthor they both need to disappear for a few years. Let the other villains have a chance in the spotlight then when you do bring one of them back you can make it an actual event because it would be a big event.

Right now I'm more tied of the Joker and Lex Luthor (in all media) because they've been over used to death. I think they need to vanish, don't kill them off because I'm just as tied of that as I am with Joker and Lex. They need to go underground, into space, bounce around the multiverse, spend some time in prison, anything.

I feel like with villains like Joker and Lex Luthor after a while they need to disappear for a year or two (or more but no more than 5 years max) so we can actually miss them and then when they return it would make them feel like big deals again.

In general, I like The Joker as Batman's arch-nemesis. However, his recent depictions leave much to be desired, and as other posters have said, I'd prefer if The Joker only showed up every now and again.

Astonishing Member

It depends on writer, story, etc. I accepted the fact that Joker is Batman's #1 enemy, and he always will be, his status of pop-culture icon is just unreachable at this point. But the problem is that the popularization of the Joker hit the rest of Batman's villains incredibly hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It depends on writer, story, etc. I accepted the fact that Joker is Batman's #1 enemy, and he always will be, his status of pop-culture icon is just unreachable at this point. But the problem is that the popularization of the Joker hit the rest of Batman's villains incredibly hard.
    It's not so much "popularization" of the Joker as it is the repeated over-usage of the Joker that's the problem.
    The popularization of the Joker could be used to later spotlight other villains who go bigger in attempts to outshine the Joker which would actually be a benefit rather than a detriment to rest of the Bat-foes, but that doesn't seem to happen often enough.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    I like the Joker, but he's overused. Also he's hero worshipped by some in RL like you said. And nowadays here in America, that's not a good thing.
    Punchline and her schemes seems to be specifically targeted at commenting on that particular aspect of hero worshiping the Joker.

I voted for liking the Joker, although he needs a break from movies.

Amazing Member

Always view him as a tragic chracter even being able to redeem himself in correct opportunities

With 114 votes,
    * I like The Joker = 70 votes (+3)
    * I dislike The Joker = 30 votes (+2)
    * I'm indifferent about The Joker = 14 votes

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I hate the Joker because of what he did in No Man's Land. Just don't find him interesting or fun to read about.

But then, I don't really care that much about any villains. I read for the heroes.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Amazing Member

I do not like the Joker for the main reason that he is involved in every single story. He does not need to be involved in every single thing which is extremely annoying.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I like golden silver age joker including Cesar Romero
    I like bronze age joker including jack Nicholson
    I like Paul dini joker and mark hamill
    I like ledger joker as an exception
    I like Leatherface joker as an exception
    I like king's concept on joker that can't laugh
    Aesthetically not interested in leto joker
    Not interested in joker thats only creepy but not funny
    Not interested in more joker stories and adaptation
    I don't like brainwashed zombie jokerized victim as I think that's overdone the past decade
    I never saw Joker as Batman's archnemesis until the modern era. In the 66 era he's just another villain to me, and it took years and some reading to acknowledge that he's more than that, but these days they went overboard with it
    I can not answer the poll as it's too limited in scope
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-31-2022 at 11:52 PM.

With 120 votes,
    * I like The Joker = 72 votes (+2)
    * I dislike The Joker = 33 votes (+3)
    * I'm indifferent about The Joker = 15 votes (+1)