Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: All-New Ultimates, #2

THE NEXT GENERATION OF ULTIMATES!
    • The YOUNG ULTIMATES are put to the test as they try to survive their first mission: going head to head with the city's most ruthless gang, the SERPENT SKULLS.
    • KITTY PRYDE takes the bait and finally joins the team in an effort to push back the unrelenting wave of brutality.
    • Jessica Drew takes on the mantle of BLACK WIDOW!!!

Full article here.

Cool preview

This already looks better than #1

I admit that I haven't read EVERY Ultimate comic ever published, but... I really don't understand why anyone in THAT universe would want to name themselves after the Black Widow.
    Once someone - anyone - using a specific name has been revealed as a traitor - WHY would anyone else want to use that name? Especially a heroic someone. The last Ultimate Black Widow I paid any attention to ended up dead in Tony Stark's bed, as Mrs Stark.

I can see a villain trying to trade on someone else's reputation. I can even see a close friend or family member trying to 'redeem' that name.
    But Jessica Drew isn't either of these.

Oh... wait... it couldn't be because there's a character with that name in some recent movies, and they're hoping this will sell more comics? They wouldn't do that, would they?
    Naaaaah.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Otto View Post
    I admit that I haven't read EVERY Ultimate comic ever published, but... I really don't understand why anyone in THAT universe would want to name themselves after the Black Widow.
    Once someone - anyone - using a specific name has been revealed as a traitor - WHY would anyone else want to use that name? Especially a heroic someone. The last Ultimate Black Widow I paid any attention to ended up dead in Tony Stark's bed, as Mrs Stark.

I can see a villain trying to trade on someone else's reputation. I can even see a close friend or family member trying to 'redeem' that name.
    But Jessica Drew isn't either of these.

Oh... wait... it couldn't be because there's a character with that name in some recent movies, and they're hoping this will sell more comics? They wouldn't do that, would they?
    Naaaaah.
    yeah I am not a fan of the direction they have been taking Jessica lately. To me, one of the appeals was that she was basically the same character as ultimate Peter Parker. But now they seem to be deliberately distancing themselves from that. Maybe it's because a "real"/clone of Pete just showed up in USM

Astonishing Member

I never really gave the Black Widow thing much thought, but you guys are right. It's a horrible idea on Jessica's part.

The preview looks good, although I think that first page double spread is a bit bland.

A part of me didn't care for the first issue, as far as execution goes. I was let down by the inconsistency with Pinna's art when I've seen such great stuff before. Fiffe is unknown to me but I know he came highly recommended. I think it's going to take a few issues to get comfortable. I'll check back then.

But please get rid of the Black Widow get-up.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Really not fond of the new BW outfit for Jessica. I thought the first issue (despite the inconsistency of the art) read very well however and am interested in seeing how things go.

Amazing Member

what was wrong with her old costume, it was one of the better ultimate Universe costumes, now its like Arana meets Rogue. not a good look. She's sort of Peter parkers legacy, she should be Spiderwoman, I totally agree.
    Books I'm reading: Batman Eternal, Red Hood, Black Widow, Elektra, Loki Agent of Asgard, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Catwoman.........

I had actually decided to drop this book after the first issue because the art wasn't working for me and I wasn't really feeling the characters, but just this little preview of issue #2 looks promising...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1