Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, #1

MURDER! MYSTERY! MARTIAL ARTS!
    A former lover of Shang-Chi's is murdered in cold blood while working deep undercover for MI-6. When Shang-Chi travels to England to pay his respects he learns all is not as it seems, and if he's not careful he may be next to die! Old friends, new enemies, espionage and kung fu collide in this riveting story from Mike Benson and Tan Eng Huat!

Full article here.

BANNED

As a long time Shang-Chi enthusiast, I greeted the news of a deadly Hands of Kung Fu mini-series featuring the eponymous Master of Kung Fu with much anticipation.

Unfortunately, based on the quality of art on display in this preview, my excitement has been dampened somewhat and I'm left wondering why after many years in creative limbo (outside of Hickman's sparing use of the character in Avengers/Avengers World) Marvel would invest in re-launching Shang-Chi with such a lack lustre effort. :smh:

Deodato or Schiti would have been a lot more suited to this project just off of their artistic credentials alone.

I'll still give the book a chance just because of the love and appreciation I have for Shang-Chi as a character but Marvel really need to stop launching books with dodgy creative teams and then killing said books when sales don't really take off.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 05-09-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

I agree with Mr. MajestiK. Story looks good though, I may pick it up when All New Invaders 5 is released (hopefully my shop will still have copies then.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Astonishing Member

I actually don't mind the art here, though I understand TEH is an acquired taste.

Schiti or Deodato absolutely would have been better fits given the subject, but they've been assigned to bigger gigs.

I'm fine with the art, actually. While other artists might have been better, I think that the action scenes are still pretty cool. Still, I would have liked to have seen a more knock down, drag out fight between Shang and Crossbones.

What does get me, however, is the narration. Having read the preview twice now, Shang Chi's inner monologue is a little off to me. In one sense, I am appreciative of it. Indeed, in a way, it seems to be echoing a lot of the sentiments that we used to share on the old Shang Chi appreciation thread (someone's got to restart that by the way)! I've said in the past that Shang can have some pretty pithy and deep moments. In the preview, we saw that with his comments regarding the pilot and his combative training. I definitely liked the comment about him seeking justice. Although we'd expect Shang to say something really contemplative and deep, we don't get to hear about his morality too often. Him talking about justice reminded me of values of Chinese warriors, that of "wu de" (武德) or martial virtue.

Still, the narration seems a bit too much and a bit too haphazard. He seems to have many thoughts which go off in different directions, which appears odd for a guy who is supposed to have "no mind." Perhaps this is how he used to talk in the old comics? In any case, I would like a less is more approach and have the reader interpret the scene for themselves.

Ultimately, though, I am looking forward to this. It's a mini with Shang and that's great. I'll reserve full judgement when the issue comes out next week.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I got used to Tan's art on X-Men Legacy so I'm okay with it, my issue and the reason I won't be getting it is it's not ongoing. If Marvel had more faith in the character and gave him an ongoing I'd be all over it but I don't buy minis especially only 4 issues at probably 3.99.

Amazing Member

I, too, am rather disappointed by the artwork here. Deodato, Schiti, Aja, Caselli, Fiumara... I could go on listing artists that would have fit the mold much better than Tan Eng Huat. And this is not with any disrespect to his work, but his style does not convey martial arts action as well as this book needs. The page with Crossbones literally avoids showing off any action: Shang confronts Crossbones > Shang pins a struggling Crossbones > Crossbones is unconscious. I understand that it's not a pivotal scene, but it still could have been handled better. Something about the way Shang is drawn also feels off, and I'm really hoping his "old man" look in the earlier preview is a one-time thing (or corrected altogether). I will probably still buy this just to show support for the character, but it's starting to really feel like a half-assed effort by Marvel to rejuvenate the Master of Kung Fu. At this rate, I'm more looking forward to the continuation of Shang's story in Avengers World.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Perhaps this is how he used to talk in the old comics? In any case, I would like a less is more approach and have the reader interpret the scene for themselves.
    Actually, that's true to an extent. The writing definitely feels like it is simulating Shang's internal monologues in his original MoKF series. One thing it gets right is that it gets across Shang's confidence without as much fortune cookie wisdom as Hickman's writing. But again, going back to the artwork, in his original series the dialogue and artwork worked together synergistically. Here, they feel a bit... disjointed.
    Last edited by Geno; 05-09-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

You guys realize that the confrontation is dictated by the writing, yes?

TEH is definitely an acquired taste, and I won't argue that. But as pretty as some other artist would make it, there's no lack of skill here and I'm looking forward to what Benson and Huat bring to the table. If you ever wanna see an ongoing, you should at least give this one a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    As a long time Shang-Chi enthusiast, I greeted the news of a deadly Hands of Kung Fu mini-series featuring the eponymous Master of Kung Fu with much anticipation.

Unfortunately, based on the quality of art on display in this preview, my excitement has been dampened somewhat and I'm left wondering why after many years in creative limbo (outside of Hickman's sparing use of the character in Avengers/Avengers World) Marvel would invest in re-launching Shang-Chi with such a lack lustre effort. :smh:

[Deodato or Schiti would have been a lot more suited to this project just off of their artistic credentials alone.

I'll still give the book a chance just because of the love and appreciation I have for Shang-Chi as a character but Marvel really need to stop launching books with dodgy creative teams and then killing said books when sales don't really take off.
    I couldn't agree more.

I really would like to see Deodato drawing it...or maybe Opena, Aja, Boschi...
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

All-New Member

I've never posted here, but after that preview I had to register an account simply to ask: Are you folks nuts? The art is not the problem. The problem here is the writing. That inner monologue is cringe-inducing, ridden with one cliché after another. Benson has always been a terrible writer (anyone read his Moon Knight? It's horrid. His run took such a pounding on the Bendis boards that Benson himself was registering fake accounts to post comments from his zealous "fans" defending the drivel. Benson sunk the character for years), but reading this makes me think this guy actually found a new low. Is someone at Marvel an embarrassing "Entourage" fanboy or something? Who keep giving this guy work? It's so bad.

Mighty Member

Default Preview: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #1

Quote Originally Posted by Bilblow Baggins View Post
    I've never posted here, but after that preview I had to register an account simply to ask: Are you folks nuts? The art is not the problem. The problem here is the writing. That inner monologue is cringe-inducing, ridden with one cliché after another. Benson has always been a terrible writer (anyone read his Moon Knight? It's horrid. His run took such a pounding on the Bendis boards that Benson himself was registering fake accounts to post comments from his zealous "fans" defending the drivel. Benson sunk the character for years), but reading this makes me think this guy actually found a new low. Is someone at Marvel an embarrassing "Entourage" fanboy or something? Who keep giving this guy work? It's so bad.
    Thanks for the info. I was looking forward to this but I think I'll drop this for something else.

Extraordinary Member

This is pretty much how the 70's era Shang used to sound.

If anything, his internal monolgue was even more verbose back then.

BANNED

The complaints about the art are silly. It looks fine and should be enough to get new readers on board.
    Last edited by Trident; 05-09-2014 at 12:50 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I'm fine with the art, actually. While other artists might have been better, I think that the action scenes are still pretty cool. Still, I would have liked to have seen a more knock down, drag out fight between Shang and Crossbones.

What does get me, however, is the narration. Having read the preview twice now, Shang Chi's inner monologue is a little off to me. In one sense, I am appreciative of it. Indeed, in a way, it seems to be echoing a lot of the sentiments that we used to share on the old Shang Chi appreciation thread (someone's got to restart that by the way)! I've said in the past that Shang can have some pretty pithy and deep moments. In the preview, we saw that with his comments regarding the pilot and his combative training. I definitely liked the comment about him seeking justice. Although we'd expect Shang to say something really contemplative and deep, we don't get to hear about his morality too often. Him talking about justice reminded me of values of Chinese warriors, that of "wu de" (武德) or martial virtue.

Still, the narration seems a bit too much and a bit too haphazard. He seems to have many thoughts which go off in different directions, which appears odd for a guy who is supposed to have "no mind." Perhaps this is how he used to talk in the old comics? In any case, I would like a less is more approach and have the reader interpret the scene for themselves.

Ultimately, though, I am looking forward to this. It's a mini with Shang and that's great. I'll reserve full judgement when the issue comes out next week.
    Like yourself, I'll definitely pick the book up as the launch of a possible ongoing solo may be dependant on this mini selling well.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    I, too, am rather disappointed by the artwork here. Deodato, Schiti, Aja, Caselli, Fiumara... I could go on listing artists that would have fit the mold much better than Tan Eng Huat. And this is not with any disrespect to his work, but his style does not convey martial arts action as well as this book needs. The page with Crossbones literally avoids showing off any action: Shang confronts Crossbones > Shang pins a struggling Crossbones > Crossbones is unconscious. I understand that it's not a pivotal scene, but it still could have been handled better. Something about the way Shang is drawn also feels off, and I'm really hoping his "old man" look in the earlier preview is a one-time thing (or corrected altogether). I will probably still buy this just to show support for the character, but it's starting to really feel like a half-assed effort by Marvel to rejuvenate the Master of Kung Fu.
    A lot of people fail to realize just how intrinsic artwork is to the appreciative process when reading comicbooks especially where the setting of tone and overall ambiance are concerned.

Marvel should really have considered assigning an artist to this project with a more visually compelling style.

At this rate, I'm more looking forward to the continuation of Shang's story in Avengers World.

I heartily agree with you Geno.

Actually, that's true to an extent. The writing definitely feels like it is simulating Shang's internal monologues in his original MoKF series. One thing it gets right is that it gets across Shang's confidence without as much fortune cookie wisdom as Hickman's writing. But again, going back to the artwork, in his original series the dialogue and artwork worked together synergistically. Here, they feel a bit... disjointed.

Nothing beats the classics.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    This is pretty much how the 70's era Shang used to sound.

If anything, his internal monolgue was even more verbose back then.
    Just to clarify, I didn't mean verbose. I meant poorly written, like everything else with Benson's name on the cover. I found it to be littered with clichés, awkward to read with no flow. EDIT: Read the page above, then read Benson's attempt at that. It makes the new book look many times worse.

The sad part is that these C-list characters could be successful if they were given stronger teams out of the gate, as someone mentioned above. Look what Warren Ellis is doing on Moon Knight. That's how you do a relaunch. You use someone good, like Ellis. Shang Chi could have been done right, too, if he was being written by someone who actually had cool pulp sensibilities, like Rick Remender. Even the way Hickman portrays him in Avengers is great. But this? Dead on arrival.
    Last edited by Bilblow Baggins; 05-09-2014 at 01:01 PM.