All-New Member

Question Just recently getting back into comics - Question

So, I've been reading comics again for a few months now, and maybe I'm missing something, but why isn't Axis effecting the rest of the Marvel U? Are they in different realities now? Why are some books effected and some aren't? And Why is Iron Man in the Illuminati in one book, but in Axis, everyone is all cool and happy with him? Also, why is Thor (in one book) flying to the other side of the universe, but he's in Axis?

Anyway, that may be a stupid question, but thanks!

Hickman's Avengers seems to be largely doing it's own thing at this point. Up to the point the story hit 'Infinity', he seemed to be making an effort to jive with some of the solo books: like making concessions for Tony's adventures in space and Reed's family field trip.

This just isn't the case anymore, and his books wildly contradict what's going on in the rest of the Marvel U. I think the Rogue Planet masking Earth is where these stories are currently taking place. It's the only logical explaination I can come up with at any rate.

AXIS is in step with most everything else in the Marvel Universe, save Bendis' two X-men titles...but, then, who really cares?
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Hickman's Avengers seems to be largely doing it's own thing at this point. Up to the point the story hit 'Infinity', he seemed to be making an effort to jive with some of the solo books: like making concessions for Tony's adventures in space and Reed's family field trip.

This just isn't the case anymore, and his books wildly contradict what's going on in the rest of the Marvel U. I think the Rogue Planet masking Earth is where these stories are currently taking place. It's the only logical explaination I can come up with at any rate.

AXIS is in step with most everything else in the Marvel Universe, save Bendis' two X-men titles...but, then, who really cares?
    That's not the case at all. I know that continuity is not always easily explained with the Marvel books right now, but the questions the OP has are easily answered, and it's not because Hickman is just doing his own thing and completely disregarding the rest of the Marvel books. Why would Marvel allow that to happen?

Hickman's Avengers books are taking place 8 months into the future right now. That's why Iron Man is still with the group right now, but on the run in the "Time Runs Out" storyline. Same thing with Thor. He's just lost his "worthiness" and is no longer able to wield his hammer. He and Hyperion are going on the trip across the universe in the "Time Runs Out" storyline that is 8 months after the events of Axis.

That's not to say that Marvel has everything flowing smoothly. They definitely have messed some things up, but it's not enough to really make go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloPrime View Post
    That's not the case at all. I know that continuity is not always easily explained with the Marvel books right now, but the questions the OP has are easily answered, and it's not because Hickman is just doing his own thing and completely disregarding the rest of the Marvel books. Why would Marvel allow that to happen?

Hickman's Avengers books are taking place 8 months into the future right now. That's why Iron Man is still with the group right now, but on the run in the "Time Runs Out" storyline. Same thing with Thor. He's just lost his "worthiness" and is no longer able to wield his hammer. He and Hyperion are going on the trip across the universe in the "Time Runs Out" storyline that is 8 months after the events of Axis.

That's not to say that Marvel has everything flowing smoothly. They definitely have messed some things up, but it's not enough to really make go crazy.
    Steve's discovery of Tony's actions doesn't take place '8 months from now'. That came before the jump.

I think it really is a matter of choosing which continuity you wish to adopt as your head canon these days. As they don't fit together at all.

As enjoyable as Hickman's run has been, it contradicts Steve's own book, as well as Uncanny Avengers. I care more what happens to Steve, Wanda, Janet, Alex, Vision, and Simon than I will ever muster for any of Hickman's new Avengers additions...so I'm quick to discard his mythology.

The exception here is that Avengers World sits in line with the rest of the Marvel U for the most part. It's been telling it's own story, largely divorced from Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers though (and, oddly enough, introduced at the same point we were given the Rogue Planet...). /shrug.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    Steve's discovery of Tony's actions doesn't take place '8 months from now'. That came before the jump.

I think it really is a matter of choosing which continuity you wish to adopt as your head canon these days. As they don't fit together at all.

As enjoyable as Hickman's run has been, it contradicts Steve's own book, as well as Uncanny Avengers. I care more what happens to Steve, Wanda, Janet, Alex, Vision, and Simon than I will ever muster for any of Hickman's new Avengers additions...so I'm quick to discard his mythology.

The exception here is that Avengers World sits in line with the rest of the Marvel U for the most part. It's been telling it's own story, largely divorced from Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers though (and, oddly enough, introduced at the same point we were given the Rogue Planet...). /shrug.

Right, but Steve Rogers isn't on Genosha where the first events of Axis are taking place. Seeming as Tony has been up to some seriously horrible (yet necessary in some people's eyes) stuff, I highly doubt that anyone else knows that Tony can't be trusted right now. Steve Rogers isn't goimg to broadcast that information to the whole world yet, so it still makes sense that Iron Man is involved. Also, it's not as if they don't need every available hand (sorry Thor) for the Red Skull.

There have been a few instances where Old Steve Rogers and Iron Man have worked together and they're not at odds. It's frustrating, but I'm easily able to overlook most things, even though it can be annoying. Nothing has happned that's made me too upset. Marvel is putting out a lot of books and a lot of events. A few continuity screw ups are bound to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloPrime View Post
    Right, but Steve Rogers isn't on Genosha where the first events of Axis are taking place. Seeming as Tony has been up to some seriously horrible (yet necessary in some people's eyes) stuff, I highly doubt that anyone else knows that Tony can't be trusted right now. Steve Rogers isn't goimg to broadcast that information to the whole world yet, so it still makes sense that Iron Man is involved. Also, it's not as if they don't need every available hand (sorry Thor) for the Red Skull.

There have been a few instances where Old Steve Rogers and Iron Man have worked together and they're not at odds. It's frustrating, but I'm easily able to overlook most things, even though it can be annoying. Nothing has happned that's made me too upset. Marvel is putting out a lot of books and a lot of events. A few continuity screw ups are bound to happen.
    To the bolded: Ah, but he did just that! He sent out a call to the Avengers to aprehend Tony.

But, yeah, if you squint just enough, you can kind of reconcile the stories. Until you add in things like, oh, say...Kang. If he were busy trying to stop the end of everything, he'd not be hopping back and forth raising Archangel's kids and trying to usurp divinity (remember that Kang, himself, is a fixed point in time. There is no more 'council of Kangs').

It's all good though, as both stories are entertaining enough. I wouldn't want either to have gone unpublished. I just tend to ee Hickman's work as 'less important' when it conflicts with other stories. Thus, my adoption of the Rogue Earth theory (it helps to rectify the inconsitencies in my head, hahaha).

All-New Member

Thank you guys for the answers, I was just curious lol!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

This is what happens when you have editors not earning their pay.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier