Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What are the opinions on Carey's run and All His Engines? I have heard mixed things about his run.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Yeah, I know but I was referring some of the material that isn't collected in the new collections yet like Azzarello's run.
    Ahhh got your.

Well you were right but unfortunately the individual issues aren't on sale. As much as I would prefer to have those, I think I'll still pick up the Delano and Ennis runs. I haven't picked up any Hellblazer yet so it should still be a pretty sweet deal for myself.

If I read City of Demons after Ennis' run would I be missing anything? I know it's a "self-contained" miniseries but I wasn't sure if I needed any more backstory than what is provided in the Delano/Ennis runs.
    Last edited by Bades; 10-20-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bades View Post
    If I read City of Demons after Ennis' run would I be missing anything? I know it's a "self-contained" miniseries but I wasn't sure if I needed any more backstory than what is provided in the Delano/Ennis runs.
    Nah, you can read City of Demons whenever.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    What are the opinions on Carey's run and All His Engines? I have heard mixed things about his run.
    It was good but it felt a bit safe and vanilla.
    BB

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in the sale. I've got a lot of those Delano and Ennis singles so the sale on the trades doesn't help me much. I will be picking up Shoot. What's the word on City of Demons, was it good/well received?

Well I've already recommended City of Demons in this thread

I remember it being well received. You've got Sean Murphy doing the art and a good story bi Si Spencer and anyone who hasn't read much Hellblazer or at all, can still enjoy it.
    BB

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

If I were to rank the major runs, I'd go:

1) Delano
    2) Ennis
    3) Diggle
    4) Jenkins
    5) Ellis
    6) Azzerello
    7) Milligan
    8) Carey
    9) Mina

All of it is worth reading, though. Plus, some of the non-series stuff like Chas: The Knowledge

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Spekaing of, what is Manco up to these days? He was poised to be big, I thought, getting a push from Marvel for a while.
    I've been expecting him to break out since the '90s. I kinda marvel at the guys who have broken out since then while Leo's art remains a cult thing. His work alone will get me to buy a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in the sale. I've got a lot of those Delano and Ennis singles so the sale on the trades doesn't help me much. I will be picking up Shoot. What's the word on City of Demons, was it good/well received?
    Yeah, I am too... I was expecting a sale like the one that they did last year, when almost every single Hellblazer issue was priced down to $0.99 to celebrate the release of issue #300. Also, I'm not a big fan of ComiXology's trades-only sales (to this day, I have no clue why ComiXology/DC's digital department don't include both single issues and trades in their sales, giving people the choice of their preferred format), and would much rather pick up individual Hellblazer issues than digital versions of the recently released trade paperback collections. On the bright side, the collections are a good deal cheaper than what the single issues would have cost.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    Yeah, I am too... I was expecting a sale like the one that they did last year, when almost every single Hellblazer issue was priced down to $0.99 to celebrate the release of issue #300. Also, I'm not a big fan of ComiXology's trades-only sales (to this day, I have no clue why ComiXology/DC's digital department don't include both single issues and trades in their sales, giving people the choice of their preferred format), and would much rather pick up individual Hellblazer issues than digital versions of the recently released trade paperback collections. On the bright side, the collections are a good deal cheaper than what the single issues would have cost.
    Why would you rather have single issues than trades? I wish I could merge my single issues into story arch so I didn't have to go back and fourth while reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Why would you rather have single issues than trades? I wish I could merge my single issues into story arch so I didn't have to go back and fourth while reading.
    Partly because single issues sales are more frequent than trades sales (and I kind of like having any given series in a single format), partly because often single issues on sale are cheaper than the trade (i.e. Batman Year One was cheaper in single issues than in trade when both were on sale. Or, in a better example, the City of Demons trade is currently more expensive than the single issues would be if they were on sale) and partly because I enjoy appreciating the covers of individual issues as I read through them. In the case of the ongoing sale I'll likely take advantage of the Hellblazer trades - and in the process will buy more issues than I probably would in a single issues sale - but as a general rule I prefer individual issues. But I agree with you, a feature allowing readers to have the trade available once every single issue that it collects are bought is something that I'd really like too!
    Last edited by TheMerc; 10-22-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Well I've already recommended City of Demons in this thread

I remember it being well received. You've got Sean Murphy doing the art and a good story bi Si Spencer and anyone who hasn't read much Hellblazer or at all, can still enjoy it.
    Sorry I missed that, or rather forgot, from the first page. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    Partly because single issues sales are more frequent than trades sales (and I kind of like having any given series in a single format), partly because often single issues on sale are cheaper than the trade (i.e. Batman Year One was cheaper in single issues than in trade when both were on sale) and partly because I sort of enjoy appreciating the covers of individual issues. In the case of the ongoing sale I'll likely take advantage of the Hellblazer trades - and in the process will buy more issues than I probably would in a single issues sale - but as a general rule I prefer individual issues. But I agree with you, a feature allowing readers to have the trade available once every single issue that it collects are bought is something that I'd really like too!
    I'd prefer a sale on singles as well for reasons you've given, but it would be great if you could merge them into an arc for reading purposes. I like that idea.