Mighty Member

Default "Tiger" Tong Po vs. Chong Li vs. Ivan Drago

These three, know for their ruthless way of combat, get into a triple threat match.

But it will be fought the ancient way, in which all three fighters wrap their hands in hemp rope, which is then coated in resin and dipped in broken glass. The fight takes place in the Kumite arena from Bloodsport. Standard Kahzan rules.

Who takes it?

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

I always felt that Tong Po was the scariest and the most evil of those three.But Chong Li seems stronger.Drago is strong but i don't know if boxing can match the others martial style.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I always felt that Tong Po was the scariest and the most evil of those three.But Chong Li seems stronger.Drago is strong but i don't know if boxing can match the others martial style.
    None of them were grappling - boxing would be just fine, especially given the physical nature of boxing (movement, quickness, reactivity, endurance - at far higher levels than most arts train to).

Of the three, through, Tong Po seemed to have the best defense if I recall correctly. Granted, Kickboxer was the worst of the three films and I've therefore seen it the least, but wasn't Tong Po basically unhittable for entire first fight and much of the second? He also took many more broken-glass-laden hits than either of the other two without bleeding out in the ring.

technically,chong li already fought tong po. the actor who played tong po michel quissi played a muay thai kickboxer in bloodsport. he was the one that chong li broke his shin bone.

in terms of movie characters. tong po in kickboxer 2 fought a fighter who was already on steroids and he tanked his hits like they were nothing. So fighting style aside,i give it to tong po simply because of his damage soak and ability to hit as hard as a tank.

BANNED

Chong Li is the most beatable. Dux was schooling him in their fight, even after he was blinded. He arguably had the best technique of the three, but he can't take the hits.

Also Tong Po didn't have that great of a defense. In the first fight with Eric he takes one side kick, blocks the other and performs some strike. Then he blocks one punch, takes another straight to the face, the throws haymakers and is on offense the rest of the fight (this all takes place in less than 10 seconds). The exception was at one point Eric got a second win and started landing a couple of ineffective kicks, till Tong caught one again. Tong's striking was his strength and he had some durability. However, like Chong he suffers from Van Damme completely squashing him when they have their last fight (from the point Van Damme cuts off the hemp rope he completely dominates Tong in every facet of the fight, and before that he as letting him win).

So Drago wins, quite easily at that. His hits are harder, he has more durability, he can go 15 rounds throwing and taking.

The only wildcard is how having a three person fight effects each of them. Drago and Tong being boxer and kickboxer both have an inclination of keeping their opponent in front of them. That ironically helps Chong the most since he moved around the ring and fought from the side a lot. But he still doesn't have chance once they start hitting him.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    Also Tong Po didn't have that great of a defense.
    Well, like I said, it has been a very, very long time since I sat through Kickboxer - at least since the early 90's.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Well, like I said, it has been a very, very long time since I sat through Kickboxer - at least since the early 90's.
    I don't really blame you because he spent most of his time in a sort of signature defensive arms up type of stance, and he caught some strikes at the start of the film. But it's just not that much.

Granted that small sample size probably puts him over Chong Li and Drago. It's just not nearly enough to matter once he starts taking Drago's hits.

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    I don't really blame you because he spent most of his time in a sort of signature defensive arms up type of stance, and he caught some strikes at the start of the film. But it's just not that much.

Granted that small sample size probably puts him over Chong Li and Drago. It's just not nearly enough to matter once he starts taking Drago's hits.
    That's it - I think what I remember was the early stuff in the film - he did good block and counters on Eric, and then ISTR he started off the second fight dominating JCVD in everything. I think I'm also remembering what the teacher did to JCVD - "how is your defense?" "good" (flurry of kicks in the air that are totally undefended) "doesn't look good to me" - and just attributing "defense" to that. Ah, well - Drago is a crushing machine with on-screen 2000lb strikes, so that should break either Tong Po or Chong.

EDIT: Oh yeah, for toughness for Tong, when he's warming up before the fight with Eric, JCVD sees him slamming his shin into the corner of a concrete pillar. That makes my leg hurt just remembering it.

So, uh, does Chong get prep?

Fantastic Member

Chong Li broke that shin bone with a casual, effortless little back kick thing.

Seriously, he's much shorter than Drago and is skilled in using all parts of his body. He just needs to go in low and take out Ivan's base. Show me Drago's shins having super-durability.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NK1988 View Post
    Chong Li broke that shin bone with a casual, effortless little back kick thing.

Seriously, he's much shorter than Drago and is skilled in using all parts of his body. He just needs to go in low and take out Ivan's base. Show me Drago's shins having super-durability.

See how Chong when he got hit was actually reeling and in a disadvantageous position afterwards. That's the most realistic response of durability from those three fighters. When Dux fights him, Chong get whupped and takes all his hits and is rendered pretty useless until he cheats, and then when Frank starts back up again he wins the fight.

Drago isn't going to be stationary like the guy who got his shin broken. He has much better footwork, and has some good speed. Drago needs one punch to really win him any fight against Chong, whether that takes him out or just nullifies Chong long enough for the next couple of hits to do it. For Chong to win, he really has to work exclusively at Drago's legs and hope he doesn't get caught. Also Drago is going to no sell all the strikes that set up Chong's opponent being beat.