View Poll Results: Which New 52 Title is Wonder Woman the Most Violent in?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Justice League

36 85.71%
  • Superman/Wonder Woman

0 0%
  • Wonder Woman

2 4.76%
  • Equally in Justice League & Superman/Wonder Woman

1 2.38%
  • Equally in Justice League & Wonder Woman

0 0%
  • Equally in Superman/Wonder Woman & Wonder Woman

0 0%
  • Equally in All 3 Titles

2 4.76%
  • Other(Please Specify)

1 2.38%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    The WW that Azz presents would just use the lasso to subjugated the demon and put him inside hell again. she used violence just because she wanted
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

When faced with creatures in her regular title? Diana butchers them. She sliced off limbs in a very graphic fashion, and then there's this:

And she sorta sliced and diced her way through Hades:

I have no reason to believe that, if faced with a creature out of Tartarus, Azzarello's Diana wouldn't pull out the sword and go to town.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

When faced with creatures in her regular title? Diana butchers them. She sliced off limbs in a very graphic fashion, and then there's this:

I have no reason to believe that, if faced with a creature out of Tartarus, Azzarello's Diana wouldn't pull out the sword and go to town.

What lead up to Diana's arms being covered in blood from the first picture you posted?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    What lead up to Diana's arms being covered in blood from the first picture you posted?
    She was tearing slaughtering the centaurs in a rather violent fashion.

Despite this, though, I still voted JL. She's a lot more 'lead with the sword' there, especially against non-critters (including her own teammates).

BANNED

oh sure there is these creatures, and also the minotaur.
    against the mini titans from hades, Zola was in real danger.
    the same about the zombie horses. so there was a good reason and they weren't alive, just reanimate creatures.
    the minotaur was only offering risk to her, she took him out but didn't killed him.
    also on ww and batman team up she freed the monster similar way that she did with the last week sensation comics.
    the monster was in the island, no amazons, no danger and she killed him?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    Well, you made me remember one of the most metal fights she had in the Azzverse - When she met Sea for the first time, the fight with the Centaurs on the bridge - She gored them with her own hands. It wasn't shown directly, but she was elbow deep in blood afterwards.

No, she didn't. She brought him back the 1st time, she brought him back the 2nd time, and would only have killed him at very, very last moment, because he asked her to, as he'd rather die than become a monster.

It's still a counterpoint and contradiction in characterization. Clark's admiration of her personality is obviously from many other observations apart from Barbara. LOL, Blackfeath put it better than I did.
    she probably hold on a little because doomsday was also superman, but she still god of war, her having no strategy besides killing him speak a lot about her Modus operandis.

I wish Johns cared to show scenes where Superman saw WW doing it. some issues before he took a kick from her and hal jordan a cut from WW.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 10-19-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

She was tearing slaughtering the centaurs in a rather violent fashion.

Despite this, though, I still voted JL. She's a lot more 'lead with the sword' there, especially against non-critters (including her own teammates).

Thanks.

Ah yes, I remember that now. That was very early on in Azz's run.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Still remember when Wonder Woman buried the Axe in Ares head
    Still remember when Wonder Woman broke Maxwell Lords neck
    Maybe I will gather up my collection of Wonder Woman and her many appearances over the
    past few decades (and more) and total up all the acts of violence Wonder Woman has committed
    in a D C Comics ..................... Nah! Long time readers of comics already know the score and
    how D C (and comic book publishers as a whole) have allowed violence to be perpetrated by there
    (so called) heroes more and more over the past few decades all in the hopes (my words) of making
    there comics and characters more real and cool.
    Just look at the many times both the top two Selling comic book characters the past Forty years (Spider-Man and Batman)
    have used psychological torcher on there captive by bonding them up tight and than hanging them from tall buildings
    many stories high............. I could go on,....... but Nah!

It should be noted that Azz's WW has repeatedly shown mercy towards her enemies however. One of the reasons why I don't like much of the post Perez WW is that she was to quick for violence. In Rucka's run when Wonder Woman first learns of Medusa, she outright says she has to kill Medusa at first thought. This all owes its origins to Perez, whom as far as I can tell, is the first person to make WW kill;

When Marston first wrote WW, from the get go she never killed her foes. For Marston she was to turn villians into allies, as seen for example in Paula. Perez opened the genie on this front, and WW reputation for killing has only gotten worse.

In Azz's WW, we see a return to Marston's original ideas, where she reforms her villains instead of tries to kill them. Lets see how much this has happened (I have not read the recent issues so no spoilers if something is out of date)

> Hades
    > Hera (becomes an ally)
    > the Minotaur
    > Ares (becomes an ally)
    > Artemis (becomes an ally)
    > Sirrocca (becomes an ally)
    > First Born
    > Strife

There are probably more, but this is just who I remember.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It should be noted that Azz's WW has repeatedly shown mercy towards her enemies however. One of the reasons why I don't like much of the post Perez WW is that she was to quick for violence. In Rucka's run when Wonder Woman first learns of Medusa, she outright says she has to kill Medusa at first thought. This all owes its origins to Perez, whom as far as I can tell, is the first person to make WW kill;

When Marston first wrote WW, from the get go she never killed her foes. For Marston she was to turn villians into allies, as seen for example in Paula. Perez opened the genie on this front, and WW reputation for killing has only gotten worse.

In Azz's WW, we see a return to Marston's original ideas, where she reforms her villains instead of tries to kill them. Lets see how much this has happened (I have not read the recent issues so no spoilers if something is out of date)

> Hades
    > Hera (becomes an ally)
    > the Minotaur
    > Ares (becomes an ally)
    > Artemis (becomes an ally)
    > Sirrocca (becomes an ally)
    > First Born
    > Strife

There are probably more, but this is just who I remember.
    While I agree that the Medusa scene was awful, I have to say that this falls mostly on the shoulders of Rucka, not Perez.

Perez had Diana kill as an absolute last resort. It was Rucka who decided she would choose killing as a first option without even considering any alternatives, or indeed speaking with her opponent.

I mentioned earlier that in hindsight the Perez scene opened the door for a lot of grief to follow, and I stand by that. But I think in fairness to a great talent, George's biggest mistake was perhaps to assume that subsequent writers would treat Wonder Woman's warrior training with the same kind of maturity and respect to the character's origin that he himself showed.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

It should be noted that in comics there has always been this double standard. Even Superman and Batman killed things during the Silver Age, but they were space invaders or slime monsters and stuff. I had an image I misplaced of a pre-Perez WW killing Insectoid aliens for instance.

However, these beings are never treated as human beings, nor is it regarded as killing. These shown would follow this example. It should be noted to that in both instances the centaurs and certainly the zombie spirits are not entirely sentient and seem to be more like drones of Hera and Hades than fully functional beings. The same argument is usually applied to the Para-demons as well.

I'm not denying these actions are violent, but if I could show you that Silver Age WW image, that too is pretty violent.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    While I agree that the Medusa scene was awful, I have to say that this falls mostly on the shoulders of Rucka, not Perez.

Perez had Diana kill as an absolute last resort. It was Rucka who decided she would choose killing as a first option without even considering any alternatives, or indeed speaking with her opponent.

I mentioned earlier that in hindsight the Perez scene opened the door for a lot of grief to follow, and I stand by that. But I think in fairness to a great talent, George's biggest mistake was perhaps to assume that subsequent writers would treat Wonder Woman's warrior training with the same kind of maturity and respect to the character's origin that he himself showed.
    I agree completely.

Though Perez did also up the scale of violence in found in a Wonder Woman comic too. If you pick up any arc he wrote, there is suffering, death, and so on. The Trial of the Gods arc struck me as particularly violent (the one where she goes through Dooms Doorway and kills a bunch of mythological beings). As was the first arc that had reanimated, burning flesh zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    From what I see On JL WW is only cool to victims and normal people. It's not extended to villains. And how would she do that if she barely left the watchtower, thing that Superman implied in JL 14. Johns writing is really problematic. I think Johns is just trying to create something for smww, where it doesn't exist. that is the problem with his JL most of time he is forcing things.
    But we know she doesn't barely left the watchtower u.u She has a home in London and she goes around a lot with Zola, ecc... She even sometimes goes in pubs, ecc..., and she has a lot to deal with. You can't say that the JL title is on a a separated universe... You talk like what happens in Azz's run doesn't exist... We know for sure that Diana there shows compassion and mercy to enemies. Johns wasn't trying to create something for smww to work...In that instance he was writing Wonder Woman in the right way, making Superman says what she truly does. The conversation when Wonder Woman talks about killing enemies not out of necessity but as a punishment? That is made out just to create conflicts that otherwise, with a well written Wonder Woman, wouldn't exist, and it really reflects poorly on her.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I agree completely.

Though Perez did also up the scale of violence in found in a Wonder Woman comic too. If you pick up any arc he wrote, there is suffering, death, and so on. The Trial of the Gods arc struck me as particularly violent (the one where she goes through Dooms Doorway and kills a bunch of mythological beings). As was the first arc that had reanimated, burning flesh zombies.
    The Dooms Doorway arc always struck me as George Perez channeling Ray Harryhausen.

It should be noted that Jason and the Argonauts, which includes fantasy scenes of men crushed under giant statues, speared by dragons, and cut down by skeletal warriors, is rated G

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    But we know she doesn't barely left the watchtower u.u She has a home in London and she goes around a lot with Zola, ecc... She even sometimes goes in pubs, ecc..., and she has a lot to deal with. You can't say that the JL title is on a a separated universe... You talk like what happens in Azz's run doesn't exist... We know for sure that Diana there shows compassion and mercy to enemies. Johns wasn't trying to create something for smww to work...In that instance he was writing Wonder Woman in the right way, making Superman says what she truly does. The conversation when Wonder Woman talks about killing enemies not out of necessity but as a punishment? That is made out just to create conflicts that otherwise, with a well written Wonder Woman, wouldn't exist, and it really reflects poorly on her.
    Jl and smww, specially JL barely acknowledge that WW has a life outside JL and friends that aren't hessia that is just another amazon.It's almost like what Azz did doesn't matter at all, only god of war aspect. I don't know if he was trying or not create a thing for smww, but he did zero built for it and it just look completely forced from his part.
    well if WW was talking about dealing and redeeming her enemies, superman should be happy and proud and that wasn't the case. There's also JLA that waller says that WW is extreemly violent. Johns writing has been a mess in new 52

I'm not qualified to answer which one she is most violent in, all I ever read were the Wonder Woman titles. But I have seen scenes from Justice League as well Superman/Wonder Woman. All I can do is compare through the years, and to me Wonder Woman has been more violent withing the last 25 years. My thinking that senseless violence is more productive for sales in someway, or something that the marketing department likes to spin. The current version seem to personify this considering Azz was suppose to be making a character that appeals to women? I'm leaving that alone, all I know just like the rest of the world Too Violent is an understatement.

For those of you interested I recently made a sub-tumblr dedicated to exposing Wonder Woman as a violent thug! (I'm joking)

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/baneofnecks

Right now its mostly images of WW killing folks, but I am willing to add pictures of her being violent. If you know some images I missed link them to me please (not necessarily in this thread, we don't want to derail it.)