Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Bit ahead on that, I was. Thought Thursday was the 24th of October, but seems today is. Hope you all very much enjoyed the beginning.
    Last edited by Crimson Knight; 11-03-2014 at 07:26 PM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Watching the first episode live. Seems to be following a Kojak the night Stalker monster of the week format. Not liking it so far.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Graaah. Attractive brunnette runs from unseen threat. John rolls in like a superhero and gives her his card. Zzzz. This is stupid. She runs off, and he climbs into what looks like a sulpher pit. This is so Dresden files. John isn't a Superhero, so why is he doing this crap? This is going to suck.

But then he yells "I'm a nasty piece of work! Just ask about me!" And I'm like, "Holy shit, that's JOHN CONSTANTINE! Got the dumbest grin on my face right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Graaah. Attractive brunnette runs from unseen threat. John rolls in like a superhero and gives her his card. Zzzz. This is stupid. She runs off, and he climbs into what looks like a sulpher pit. This is so Dresden files. John isn't a Superhero, so why is he doing this crap? This is going to suck.

But then he yells "I'm a nasty piece of work! Just ask about me!" And I'm like, "Holy shit, that's JOHN CONSTANTINE! Got the dumbest grin on my face right now.
    I watched the pilot months ago and really enjoyed it. I am surprised they kept the pilot though since they ditched the main girl for someone from the comics.

Well i see now how they got rid of the main girl. For those who didn't see the pilot over the summer in the original version the crime scene at the end convinces her to stay and michael from lost comments about how she thought it was her idea to stay and fight.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Episode 1 "Non Est Asylum" I've been excited about this given the quality of NBC's other horror shows. I thought they nailed the creepy mood quite well and there's lots of interesting visuals. The casting is pretty good and it was nice to see Harold Perrineau and Jeremy Davies show up. Matt Ryan is spot on as John Constantine despite the not smoking. Loved seeing the Doctor Fate helmet show up. The preview for the rest of the season looks pretty good.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Extraordinary Member

I thought the beginning of the episode made it hard to get a sense of who the character was and what it was all about but it got better and got me really interested in this character.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I liked it well enough. Ryan makes a pretty good Constantine, though it bugs me that they're mispronouncing his name. I wasn't even bothered by the lack of smoking. Much.

I did like that they used his famous introductory "nasty piece of work" line. I also like that he was talking about classic punk rock. Shows respect for the source material.

It reminded me an awful lot of Supernatural at times, though. Which is fine, because I like Supernatural, but we've already got one.

So far so good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I liked it well enough. Ryan makes a pretty good Constantine, though it bugs me that they're mispronouncing his name. I wasn't even bothered by the lack of smoking. Much.

I did like that they used his famous introductory "nasty piece of work" line. I also like that he was talking about classic punk rock. Shows respect for the source material.

It reminded me an awful lot of Supernatural at times, though. Which is fine, because I like Supernatural, but we've already got one.

So far so good, though.
    I'm reminded that one of Supernatural's biggest gimmicks (namely their irreverent disrespect towards Demons and Angels) was a direct life from Hellblazer.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I enjoyed the series for what it was. They weren't gonna do a 100% faithful adaption from Hellblazer comics. But they were decent with what they did and dropped. The show wasn't awesome. It has to work out the kinks and they basically should see what works better. Does John Constantine being a right bastard at times , need a woman sidekick on the show ? Its clear he doesn't. He works best as someone who has his one best mate Chas and the guy who hates him Richie working with him. Plus the angel we see.

This reminds me of Fox in a way when they had the Human Target series. It was clear Human Target had a A-Team vibe and didn't need the women cast members. Fox however wanted to lure more than the male demographic and tried shoving female cast members in and it hurt what the show was. With a Constantine , will the show work with Zed when she appears ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I enjoyed the series for what it was. They weren't gonna do a 100% faithful adaption from Hellblazer comics. But they were decent with what they did and dropped. The show wasn't awesome. It has to work out the kinks and they basically should see what works better. Does John Constantine being a right bastard at times , need a woman sidekick on the show ? Its clear he doesn't. He works best as someone who has his one best mate Chas and the guy who hates him Richie working with him. Plus the angel we see.

This reminds me of Fox in a way when they had the Human Target series. It was clear Human Target had a A-Team vibe and didn't need the women cast members. Fox however wanted to lure more than the male demographic and tried shoving female cast members in and it hurt what the show was. With a Constantine , will the show work with Zed when she appears ?
    Well the female from the pilot was originally supposed to be in the series. They completely redid the ending of the pilot when they decided to bring in someon efrom the comics. The girl acted sort of like doyle did for angel. Or at least I presume she would have if they had kept her.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Who decided to air this show at 10 PM on a Friday? Seriously? /sigh

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Doesn't Hannibal do quite well in the same time slot?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Well the Friday thing is so they can pair it with Grimm, the time is based on the rules for cable tv which require harder stories to get put on later

Grimm does well on Fridays and it makes a good double bill. And they probably expect heavy DVR and ON Demand watching.

Hawaii Five-O keeps chugging along Fridays because of alternate viewing.