Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default "Who's an Omega?" - Listing mutant classifications

Hi!

Still in the wait of knowing if Psylocke or Storm are Omegas ? Have Maybe you will have to wait for long before the truth comes out !
    Not interested ? Good for you.

In the meantime, I will keep listening new classified mutants (or other); with a new Omega Level Mutant: To be more exact: Adriana Soria, Aka the Spider-Queen, a mutant (except if her mutantcy is a fake wide-spread over the internet) who has been classified as an Omega Level Threat. Kind of an Omega Level Mutant ?

That happened during Spider-Island, Amazing Spider-Man #672, and the statement of "Omega Level Threat" was made by "airman Phillips" (Captain America's pilot) when she transformed and by Cap himself soon after.

(Also, if you had a doubt, World War Hulk was a Class Omega situation (Heroes for Hire Vol. 2 #14) (already classified as an Omega Level Threat (Avengers: The Initiative #4), a term who seems to be designating people and situations, or both..)

A few pages for more referenced classification (No Delta-Epsilon here)
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Mutant_Power...Classification
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Omega_Level_Mutants
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Omega_Level_Threats

Just FYI: in Marvel terms, there's a difference between an Omega-level mutant and an Omega-level telepath. Psylocke is the latter, but not the former.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bafflement View Post
    Just FYI: in Marvel terms, there's a difference between an Omega-level mutant and an Omega-level telepath.
    Yep, I know that (cf. the links). I have even separated them into two classes. (as well as the Omega level telekinesists, healers (well, there is only one and he is also an Omega class or level mutant) and Earthquakes Production (an alternate Moses Magnum, not a mutant as far as I know, even on that world). The only thing I haven't done yet is dividing Level from Class, althought some says (without references of course) one of those is relative to the power level potential and the other to the achieved/trained level power. As far, I don't believe that, as it was from a guy who stopped the discussion as soon as I asked for a reference to check.

Psylocke is the latter, but not the former.
    I'm interested by that one, and you seems pretty sure of yourself ; Have you found a reference I've missed ? (I've missed a lot of issues those past few weeks)

I have only the (controversial) interview of Remender during his Uncanny X-Force run where he stated she was an Omega Level Mutant. It was controversial partly because he was comparing her to Jean and Prof X, both telepaths, and some argued that Remender intended to say Omega Level telepath, but:
    -She can be an Omega Level Mutant because of telepathic power (combined to telekinesis furthermore).
    -Remender said Omega Level Mutant, not,Omega Level Telepath
    -I won't argue if this is canon (which is not), semi-canon (which is the best deal), or irrelevant (which I find too radical).

And I forgot (for those who wouldn't find the way to move to the "top category":
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Omega_Level
    All the Omega Level/Class recorded as far on the marvel database wikia (except Omega Sentinels or those things: Here are only the power/threat classif, not models)
    Last edited by Undoniel; 05-09-2014 at 04:06 AM.

What marvel really needs to do is define what makes a mutant Omega level.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Innocence View Post
    What they REALLY need to do is stop throwing the term around like it doesn't mean anything. Because the more they use it, the less appealing it becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    What they REALLY need to do is stop throwing the term around like it doesn't mean anything. Because the more they use it, the less appealing it becomes.
    Very true, but also it will always happen unfortunately. Hearing/ awesome things about favorite characters makes people happy.
    The same can be said for characters pulling off "new tricks". Its fun and cool to start with, but contributes to an inevitable power creep which results in either
    a) Writers having to downplay the character in the future to actually make things threatening (or to allow other members to take front stage in team books) - which can be frustrating to fans.
    b) De-powering of the character later down the road.
    c) Killing them off.
    In other words, a quick payoff in the current, for trouble in the future.

That doesn't even include things like making new characters extremely powerful to try and make them instantly relevant and catch on with the audience.

BANNED

that's a foolish statement to make. marvel already has defined what makes an omega level mutant, it's called Jean Grey/pheonix. Vast, UNLIMITED power.
    Being the pinnacle of a particular TYPE of power is NOT omega-level, omega-level means literally the end of the evolutionary line, ie as powerful as it gets/can do ANYTHING he/she wants. anyone who tries to claim otherwise is a liar or a fool... or both.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Funny... The first Omega level mutant was Jean once she obtained the PF (canon chronologically). But the first character to have the term used to describe them is Legion back in 96' during Legion Quest. While he was ripping up the Israeli military and both teams of X-Men and cracking jokes... It was pretty humorous.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

This is somewhat of a fool's errand, given how power levels can shift (Magneto, for example).

I mean, it's covered, somewhat, in the X-Books FAQ.

Best of luck, though.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Undoniel View Post
    Yep, I know that (cf. the links). I have even separated them into two classes. (as well as the Omega level telekinesists, healers (well, there is only one and he is also an Omega class or level mutant) and Earthquakes Production (an alternate Moses Magnum, not a mutant as far as I know, even on that world). The only thing I haven't done yet is dividing Level from Class, althought some says (without references of course) one of those is relative to the power level potential and the other to the achieved/trained level power. As far, I don't believe that, as it was from a guy who stopped the discussion as soon as I asked for a reference to check.

I'm interested by that one, and you seems pretty sure of yourself ; Have you found a reference I've missed ? (I've missed a lot of issues those past few weeks)

I have only the (controversial) interview of Remender during his Uncanny X-Force run where he stated she was an Omega Level Mutant. It was controversial partly because he was comparing her to Jean and Prof X, both telepaths, and some argued that Remender intended to say Omega Level telepath, but:
    -She can be an Omega Level Mutant because of telepathic power (combined to telekinesis furthermore).
    -Remender said Omega Level Mutant, not,Omega Level Telepath
    -I won't argue if this is canon (which is not), semi-canon (which is the best deal), or irrelevant (which I find too radical).

And I forgot (for those who wouldn't find the way to move to the "top category":
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Omega_Level
    All the Omega Level/Class recorded as far on the marvel database wikia (except Omega Sentinels or those things: Here are only the power/threat classif, not models)
    I was largely basing it on not having come across any consistent references to her as an Omega-level mutant. I'm afraid I don't have any single clear reference confirming that she's not though.

Fantastic Member

Just FYI: in Marvel terms, there's a difference between an Omega-level mutant and an Omega-level telepath. Psylocke is the latter, but not the former.
    Psylocke isn't a mutant though is she? She's from Otherworld. Or has this been changed?

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    Psylocke isn't a mutant though is she? She's from Otherworld. Or has this been changed?
    She's not even genetically the same as she was at her birth. She's part Kwannon, who was mutant.

And then there's the part about her original body contracting the mutant disease.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Amazing Member

X-Men Forever #3

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I mean, it's covered, somewhat, in the X-Books FAQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    there have been characters like Emma Frost designated as "not Omega Level" several times, only to be labelled as, say, an "omega level telepath" at a later date.
    Interesting post: "designated as "not Omega Level" several times". Interesting. But when did that happen ?

I was largely basing it on not having come across any consistent references to her as an Omega-level mutant. I'm afraid I don't have any single clear reference confirming that she's not though.
    No, I meant, you told she wasn't an Omega Level Mutant but an Omega Level Telepath, but when was it stated she was an Omega Level Telepath ? I have nothing except when she battled the Shadow King in the end of Uncanny X-Force, where he told her something about a "true Omega Telepath" or something like that, in a way where it seemed he was mocking a possible Omega Level Telepath classification concerning Psylocke.

Quote Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    She's not even genetically the same as she was at her birth. She's part Kwannon, who was mutant.
    I thought she was a human/Otherworlder hybrid developing an X-Gene mutation like many hybrids (but she had also Captain Britain power due to that Otherworlder legacy). But there's also the part where in her Asian full mutant body, she became back a Captain Britain. Maybe linked to Jaime's manipulations ?

Well, Psylocke is a complicated case, and I doubt most of the writers remember everything about it, and I can't be sure about it. A handbook issue would be a great help.

Fantastic Member

I thought she was a human/Otherworlder hybrid developing an X-Gene mutation like many hybrids (but she had also Captain Britain power due to that Otherworlder legacy). But there's also the part where in her Asian full mutant body, she became back a Captain Britain. Maybe linked to Jaime's manipulations ?
    There are plenty of perfectly normal humans living on Otherworld, so her father coming from there means absolutely nothing in genetic terms, unless and until he is identified as being of a species other than human. And she had "Captain Britain power" because she wore the amplifier costume originally belonging to Kaptain Briton; anyone who wore it would have gained the powers, so long as the costume was first tuned to work for them (which Mastermind did for her - he told her he had adapted it to her "bio-rhythms"). And it's Jamie, not Jaime, btw.

Hi!

Still in the wait of knowing if Psylocke or Storm are Omegas ? Have Maybe you will have to wait for long before the truth comes out !
    Not interested ? Good for you.

In the meantime, I will keep listening new classified mutants (or other); with a new Omega Level Mutant: To be more exact: Adriana Soria, Aka the Spider-Queen, a mutant (except if her mutantcy is a fake wide-spread over the internet) who has been classified as an Omega Level Threat. Kind of an Omega Level Mutant ?

That happened during Spider-Island, Amazing Spider-Man #672, and the statement of "Omega Level Threat" was made by "airman Phillips" (Captain America's pilot) when she transformed and by Cap himself soon after.

(Also, if you had a doubt, World War Hulk was a Class Omega situation (Heroes for Hire Vol. 2 #14) (already classified as an Omega Level Threat (Avengers: The Initiative #4), a term who seems to be designating people and situations, or both..)

A few pages for more referenced classification (No Delta-Epsilon here)
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Mutant_Power...Classification
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Omega_Level_Mutants
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Omega_Level_Threats
    Again?!

You know there aren't problem with who's this or who's that ... the problem is how we classify them.
    In the past, I remember you have the semi-canon thing which doesn't fit my and other people's terms and conditions.