View Poll Results: Should aquaman look more like momoa in the comics?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 10.26%
  • No

81 69.23%
  • I don't know, I will wait to see how he looks first

24 20.51%
  • Perhaps you have another idea for his updated look?

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should aquamans look in the comics be updated to look more like jason momoa?

I can already guess what the poll reaction is going to be but please hear me out.

Aquaman has often been described as visually boring costume and person wise. To be honest when he came back as a white lantern I was shocked they kept the classic look. I mean he's a blonde aryan square jawed guy with a look best suited to the 1940s.

Momoa's look, which I would expect will gets lots of fans post justice league movie, looks tougher, more modern, better suited to an aquatic king and increases diversity in the dcu. Plus lets be honest, all comics are being updated to suit their movie counterparts these days (rdj's iron man, hemsworth's Thor etc).

Please reply not just with your knee jerk reaction but with your honest thoughts

No. Never.

The comics should not change to reflect cinematic happenings. Ever.
    The films should reflect the comics, never the inverse.

The single largest problem with Marvel comics these days is the constant need to change the comics to reflect the films. It makes for jarring holes in the narrative to see such obvious pandering shoehorned into the books.

DC has traditionally avoided this sort of rubbish. I hope they continue.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klinton View Post
    No. Never.

The comics should not change to reflect cinematic happenings. Ever.
    The films should reflect the comics, never the inverse.

The single largest problem with Marvel comics these days is the constant need to change the comics to reflect the films. It makes for jarring holes in the narrative to see such obvious pandering shoehorned into the books.

DC has traditionally avoided this sort of rubbish. I hope they continue.
    You read my mind. Plus, I actually like Aquaman's current look, better than the bewildered Aquaman with a hook for a hand.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

On one hand, I hate when companies change the original source material to match the movie. This is why I'm seriously considering dropping Green Arrow from my pull list. If I want to know stories about Stephen Amell's Green Arrow, I'll watch the show, not read a comic book.

However, Aquaman is probably the only major hero who I think needs a redesign. I've been quite vocal on here in the past about how much better and regal he looks with a beard, and I actually really liked his hook hand as well. You know what? Darker skin and hair colour would actually look awesome as well, and in a way make a whole heap of sense too. Would Atlanteans really be pale white with blonde hair? I mean I don't know where DC's Atlantis originates, but traditionally it's seen as being near the Mediterranean where skin colour is darker. Certainly nowhere near Nordic countries where pale skin and blonde hair is rife.

Aquaman's look at the moment is just as outdated as Superman's red underwear. It harkens back to a time where every superhero was a white male, a time that is no longer relevant.

I don't like how some people hold up the original source as if it's this infallible holy thing. If it is so great, why are so few people reading it, comparatively? I do think it is completely possible to do things better than the original source. I mean, why wouldn't it be?

I voted "I don't know," because I haven't seen what he looks like yet. But if it's cooler than the guy we see in the comics, I'm all for it! All I care about is what is best. Not what was made one billion years ago for a completely different audience. It's backwards to impede progress for traditionalism and some weird geeky elitism about comics having more integrity somehow, despite the fact that they're the way less relevant media outlet.
    Last edited by Desh; 10-19-2014 at 02:23 AM.

Spectacular Member

How many blond men are there in the DC universe? For some reason I can only think of Aquaman, Ulysses and Barry Allen (should his looks be changed as well?).
    I like Momoa and I think he's handsome and all, but wouldn't Aquaman look pretty much like Namor? I mean, he's already sort of a ripoff and if his looks wold be similar to Namor it would just be kind of... Odd.

If it ends up being really great... it should at least be considered. Yes.

I believe comics should remain open to movie/TV, if something is great in that medium i'd like to see the idea of it considered at least.

I don't like how some people hold up the original source as if it's this infallible holy thing. If it is so great, why are so few people reading it, comparatively? I do think it is completely possible to do things better than the original source. I mean, why wouldn't it be?

I voted "I don't know," because I haven't seen what he looks like yet. But if it's cooler than the guy we see in the comics, I'm all for it! All I care about is what is best. Not what was made one billion years ago for a completely different audience. It's backwards to impede progress for traditionalism and some weird geeky elitism about comics having more integrity somehow, despite the fact that they're the way less relevant media outlet.
    Yeah!! I agree with this.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-19-2014 at 02:31 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post

What is 'best' is a comic that is free of arbitrary influences based on the whims of an audience that doesn't share our passion for these characters.

The films and television properties are fun. They can deliver something unique to thier medium. They should, though, exist as a means to explore these characters in a new way.

There has always been play back and orth between the comics and other mediums. Superman might never have learned to fly were it not for the limitations of television back in the day. I understand that.

I'm just no fan of the undermining of the comic books to appease a film audience that will never set foot in a comic shop. If the matieral was so terrible in the first place, there would be no character to adapt for the screen.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

OP appears to be from the Marvel side of comics, and still asks us the question, color me confused.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    OP appears to be from the Marvel side of comics, and still asks us the question, color me confused.
    One can like both Dc and Marvel at the same time. Just because he has a Cyclops avatar doesn't mean he can't post on the Dc forum
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

No. New 52 Aquaman has finally got the look down (and the character down too). He has his classic costume but still manages to look like a bad-ass without any harpoon hand shenanigans. Aquaman's look in the comics is awesome and it would be pointless to change it now. I'm not against all movie stuff being in the comics, but in this case it's not a good idea.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

I'd stop reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post

This.

Quote Originally Posted by greenish lantern View Post
    How many blond men are there in the DC universe... Barry Allen (should his looks be changed as well?).
    Well Ezra Miller is dark-haired too, as is Grant Gustin...

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think Aquaman's New 52 look is the best he's ever looked.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    On one hand, I hate when companies change the original source material to match the movie. This is why I'm seriously considering dropping Green Arrow from my pull list. If I want to know stories about Stephen Amell's Green Arrow, I'll watch the show, not read a comic book.

However, Aquaman is probably the only major hero who I think needs a redesign. I've been quite vocal on here in the past about how much better and regal he looks with a beard, and I actually really liked his hook hand as well. You know what? Darker skin and hair colour would actually look awesome as well, and in a way make a whole heap of sense too. Would Atlanteans really be pale white with blonde hair? I mean I don't know where DC's Atlantis originates, but traditionally it's seen as being near the Mediterranean where skin colour is darker. Certainly nowhere near Nordic countries where pale skin and blonde hair is rife.

Aquaman's look at the moment is just as outdated as Superman's red underwear. It harkens back to a time where every superhero was a white male, a time that is no longer relevant.
    Like Orm? in New 52 he has brown eyes, black hair and dark skin.