View Poll Results: Should aquaman look more like momoa in the comics?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 10.26%
  • No

81 69.23%
  • I don't know, I will wait to see how he looks first

24 20.51%
  • Perhaps you have another idea for his updated look?

0 0%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I mean he's a blonde aryan square jawed guy with a look best suited to the 1940s.
    I'm not sure of your ethnicity, but YIKES...that's a racially charged word. Aryan has two definitions (from dictionary.com), one meaning people descended form those that spoke Indo-European (which is wide spread and includes present day Persian, Hindi, etc.)

The second definition, which it seems you are using is a NAZI/white supremeist definition. Used to for non-Jewish caucasians.

Why on Earth use such a racially charged term, created by the ethnic-cleansing murderous regime...to describe frikkin' Aquaman? Because his skin is white, his hair is blond and his bone structure is square? That's millions & millions of people on this planet. In a way, that'd be like using modern-day ISIL's usage of "infidel" to describe any non-Muslim.

Yeeesh...

With this in mind, it would be beneficial to the CBR community if you amended your initial post.

As far as the poll question, I'd prefer the movie appearance to try to mimic the comic's as close as possible. But I'd be okay with some slight changes, say in hair style, wardrobe, to move towards a Jason Mamoa look.
    Last edited by jtd; 10-20-2014 at 12:20 PM.

BANNED

No but Aquaman should be updated to look like Khal Drogo

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    You realise I'm all for changing Aquaman's look to suit Momoa right?
    Yes, but you are against inspiration from movies in general. My point was that it doesn't really matter where the inspiration is coming from you have to look at the inspiration it self and deicide whatever it is good or not. Further it was to show that inspiration was nothing new it happened with the Batcave it also happened with the '66 show (however here it did more harm than good). It is a case by case scenario rather than a firm rule.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Hyperbole?

No I really wasn't paying attention or giving my argument the thought it deserved. I was born in 1985 and am not 30. I can't do math in my head.

Twenty though! Twenty-one, actually - P.A.D. Aquaman. "Atlantis Chronicles" is 22 and Peter David's run is 21. That look for Aquaman is drinking age - an entire generation ago. For example, I was eight years old when it came out. My nostalgia for #*#* I liked when I was eight has waned.

I bet I would have thought his hook hand was RADICAL. I was stoked on Jim Lee Age of Apocalypse comics at the time because I was stupid.
    No problem. I was just suddenly feeling much older than I'm (being from 86).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    -How is Namor the Superior King of Sea?
    Able to communicate effectively.

Personally makes foreign dignitaries feel welcomed.

Total conquest of the opposition.

-A little of those abuse would do Namor well, does the general public even know of him?
    If they don't know him now, he certainly won't be easily forgotten. ;-)

Fantastic Member

Hell no.

The only time I can think that a comic character has benefited in an extreme way from the portrayal of a movie is the character Blade. But the difference here is blade was a c list character who wasn't really known to many save the fans of his. Aquaman, for for better or worse still has an established look that people know. He doesn't need to be reinvented by a movie when he has been doing just fine.

Keep him the way he is. I'm not against a beard for an older Aquaman but then I'd also prefer longer hair with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    And yet Aquaman was at the bottom of popularity in the 90s pirate fighting day while he's at the peak when he went back to his roots in the new 52. I guess it goes to show that sometimes mimicking a lousier character could set the better character back.
    Do you have proof for that, because I recall the Peter David run as being extremely well received and popular. I've never seen sales data for that far back, but everything I've read online (and in Wizard magazine back in the day) indicated that the series did very well for itself for at least the first two or three years.

I'd actually love to see the sales rankings for that series and compare it to today's volume.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Do you have proof for that, because I recall the Peter David run as being extremely well received and popular. I've never seen sales data for that far back, but everything I've read online (and in Wizard magazine back in the day) indicated that the series did very well for itself for at least the first two or three years.

I'd actually love to see the sales rankings for that series and compare it to today's volume.
    It was praised but not really a seller. It ranked 73 selling around 44k comics (sales was different back then). It should be noted that this list only includes Diamond orders. At the time Marvel had its own ordering system which is not included here.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

The only thing I would like to see adopted is for Momoa's dreadlocks to be introduced. Aquaman would be awesome with dreads!

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The only thing I would like to see adopted is for Momoa's dreadlocks to be introduced. Aquaman would be awesome with dreads!
    Dreads don't too well when they are moist for a longer period of time since they get mold if you don't dry them well after showering.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    Yeah, just like Henrik Lundqvist. Attachment 11700
    Male model? Sure
    Prissy? Definitely not

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Aquaman has often been described as visually boring costume and person wise. To be honest when he came back as a white lantern I was shocked they kept the classic look. I mean he's a blonde aryan square jawed guy with a look best suited to the 1940s.
    I have to disagree, his look is very distinctive and initially what drew me to the character. Here's this blonde dude with his hair slicked back, bright chain mail and a wicked trident and he's the king of an underwater empire. Pretty unique if you ask me. I liked the beard and long hair but his New 52 look is one of the best IMO, definitely would not change it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    It's why Namor is the superior king of the sea. He's basically a pirate - fighting & wenching, fighting & wenching.

Aquaman deserves all the abuse that he gets from shows like Family Guy and Robot Chicken.
    lol no, literally nothing about Namor is more interesting than Aquaman. Arthur has a better supporting cast, better rogues gallery, better design and he's not a complete douche.

In 5 years time Aquaman would of starred in 3 major motion pticures including his own individual movie meanwhile Namor will still be sitting on his throne at the bottom of nowhere languishing in obscurity with Fox or Universal or Marvel or whoever owns his rights.

I voted no because I don't think the entire look of the character should shift just to fit the look of the actor playing them in a movie coming out. I feel that way about all characters, for instance, I wouldn't have liked Bruce Wayne to suddenly look like Christian Bale while TDK trilogy was still on-going. I think the character should still look themselves, although updated looks are certainly always going to occur, but I think the basic look should still be the same.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    David Beckham is a prissy male model?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Yes, but you are against inspiration from movies in general. My point was that it doesn't really matter where the inspiration is coming from you have to look at the inspiration it self and deicide whatever it is good or not. Further it was to show that inspiration was nothing new it happened with the Batcave it also happened with the '66 show (however here it did more harm than good). It is a case by case scenario rather than a firm rule.
    And implied by the fact that I'm all for changing Aquaman's look, I agree with you. Generally I'm against changing comics to suit movies because I like them being separate entities. However every situation should be judged individually. In this case I'm all for Aquaman changing his look because I'm not happy with how he looks anyway. In regards to the batcave, the mythos has been better for it. When it comes to the latest Green Arrow? It was just unnecessary. It replaced a great run that was cut short and was very different...and was better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    A little of those abuse would do Namor well, does the general public even know of him?
    No one knew who was Blade , yet that movie was a success. And are you implying that the general public must know about the characters? By that logic, 99% of the movies in the world were big risks. It's like saying The Godfather was a risk because the general public did not know who was Vito Corleone.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Short question----why? That makes ZERO sense.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!