Super Moderator

Default NYCC: Marvel Previews Its Unlimited Potential in Members-Only Event

Marvel Unlimited Plus members were invited to an exclusive presentation featuring Brian Michael Bendis, Nick Spencer, Dan Slott, and more.

Full article here.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

We have at least one Special Needs superhero - Daredevil.

The "Ant-Man" footage, shown previously at July at Comic-Con International, opens with winding shot through a lab as Colonel Talbot from "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." chastises Scott Lang, subtly namedropping Hank Pym along the way. The scene cuts to a fully CGI sequence with Lang on a skyscraper rooftop. A flying ant lands next to him. He can't seem to control it very well; the helmet seems to be on the fritz as it hisses and spews sparks. Talbot instructs Lang to jump off the roof. Lang does so, and screams as he plummets to the ground. The ant swoops in, catches him, and they fly directly at the camera. The screen goes black.
    Erm... how did the writer of this article mistake Michael Douglas for Adrian Pasdar? That's a pretty big error.

As Slott talked about the logistics of Allred's moon base, he recounted an exchange between himself and Executive Editor Tom Brevoort. When Slott suggested putting a lost minotaur in the moon base's maze, Brevoort countered, "Aren't minotaurs good at mazes?" To which Slott replied, "Maybe it's a touramin... it's the opposite of a bull and it's bad at mazes? It's a little baby minotaur and it's bad at mazes?"
    Hahaha, the whole point of the labyrinth was to contain the minotaur! Minotaurs are terrible at mazes!

If Marvel Unlimited had an offline mode -- even just a feature that let you synch something like 10 or 15 comics at a time for offline viewing -- and a reader that didn't crater every few minutes, it would be worth the money to me. But what I saw during the free trial earlier this year just didn't impress me enough to put down money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    If Marvel Unlimited had an offline mode -- even just a feature that let you synch something like 10 or 15 comics at a time for offline viewing -- and a reader that didn't crater every few minutes, it would be worth the money to me. But what I saw during the free trial earlier this year just didn't impress me enough to put down money for it.
    I agree. An offline mode would really help. But I don't see Marvel doing that. Offline modes might make the system open to people pirating comics and Marvel is pretty big on avoiding that at all costs. They'll gladly avoid making a product or service better if they think it makes pirating easier, as though it weren't easy enough already. I can't say I blame them, but it still makes the cost of this service hard to justify. Maybe if the day comes when there's global wi-fi, it'll make more sense. Until that day, I think this service isn't worth the money.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Erm... how did the writer of this article mistake Michael Douglas for Adrian Pasdar? That's a pretty big error.
    I was about to ask why no one had yet made a big deal about a character introduced in the TV show appearing in movies. Now I see why.

They do have an offline mode, the limit is 6 comics.

The Reader is vastly more stable than it used to be, and it will become better and better with time. I don't really know what you were doing with the Reader but in my experience, it goes into a fit if you go back to the home screen, then try to return to the Reader after around 10 minutes. This problem is solved by simply closing out of the program before you go back in. You can also read comics on your desktop/laptop, in which case there are very few issues that ever crop up.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    They do have an offline mode, the limit is 6 comics.

The Reader is vastly more stable than it used to be, and it will become better and better with time. I don't really know what you were doing with the Reader but in my experience, it goes into a fit if you go back to the home screen, then try to return to the Reader after around 10 minutes. This problem is solved by simply closing out of the program before you go back in. You can also read comics on your desktop/laptop, in which case there are very few issues that ever crop up.
    I was reading on my desktop/laptop (former being about 6 years old, the latter less than a year, both running the then-current versions of Firefox) and the performance was terrible. Stuttering transitions, long load times that I never got using Comixolgy, and a borked search function that made finding books and character appearances I was interested in a PIA on top of everything else. It was worse on my Kindle HD, but I can't really hold that against them, since they didn't have a Kindle-specific app. The back catalog was very impressive, and if things have improved, I might give it another shot if they do another free or $1 promo. But as it stands, not convinced it's worth another try at the full monthly fee.

I was reading on my desktop/laptop (former being about 6 years old, the latter less than a year, both running the then-current versions of Firefox) and the performance was terrible. Stuttering transitions, long load times that I never got using Comixolgy, and a borked search function that made finding books and character appearances I was interested in a PIA on top of everything else. It was worse on my Kindle HD, but I can't really hold that against them, since they didn't have a Kindle-specific app. The back catalog was very impressive, and if things have improved, I might give it another shot if they do another free or $1 promo. But as it stands, not convinced it's worth another try at the full monthly fee.
    Switch from the beta version of the reader to the classic version.

The load times are slower than comixology though.