Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

when you’re as ridiculously powerful as the inheritors seem to be, planning probably isn’t that much of a concern. as so far depicted, they’re less hunters in the kraven sense and more predators in an animalistic way.

i’m wondering- is the marvel multiverse infinite? and the inheritors are a multiversal singularity? if so, with only 5 or 6 members, they can’t be that much of a threat. if we allow them a kill rate of 1 totem per day, in the span of a year, that’s only a couple of thousand spiders. even doubled it’s not that much.

BANNED

Aren't the Inheritors immortal? Time probably isn't much of a concern to folks like them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Aren't the Inheritors immortal? Time probably isn't much of a concern to folks like them.
    that’s probably true, so i can see them happily gobbling away for as long as it takes. i’m just wondering how much of a pressing concern that is for the totems of the multiverse. if they are infinite (and new timelines are contantly being born) or if there is a capped number of universes that makes the threat more immeninent.

probably has something to do with the weaver.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    that’s probably true, so i can see them happily gobbling away for as long as it takes. i’m just wondering how much of a pressing concern that is for the totems of the multiverse. if they are infinite (and new timelines are contantly being born) or if there is a capped number of universes that makes the threat more immeninent.

probably has something to do with the weaver.
    I suppose it depends on if the Inheritors are pressed for time. But if totems are their food source, and they live forever, then the Incursions simply allowed them to commute to a nicer Whole Foods in the next town instead of shopping at the corner bodega with the cranky old guy behind the counter.

I think the purpose is to make it entertaining, exciting and FUN.

So far so good!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderOrange View Post
    I think the point of Spider Verse is the same theme that we've seen repeatedly since the start of Slotts run: There is only one 616 Peter Parker / Spider Man and he's the Superior one. In Spider-Island, everyone one gets Spider powers but only Parker can save the city. In SSM, we saw what happens when even a mastermind like Otto takes over the role. He's more efficient--- but still doesn't have the purity of heart to get the job done with the lease collateral damage. Here, it's a trip through the multiverse to play with all these analogues of Spidey. He'll be the only one who knows how to stop Morlun in an efficient manner. That's the overarching theme, which is incredible, given that the first arc of ASM has been about Silk with Pete taking a step back. Spider-Verse, to me is one big love letter to 616 Spidey showing how only this version can lead every Spidey ever.

As an aside though, it seems kinda obvious from SSM #32-33 that it really should be Ock in the lead role. To me that's a better, more engaging story since Peter has been made a guest in his own book currently but whatever.
    Au contraire. Spider-Herc was awesome and would have surely slain the monster and saved the day (as per his usual self) if not for that cronical thirst for "free" beer. In his absence Peter Parker took the lead and did the job to "Mr Herc" as he should.

My apologies, I just recalled one of my fav parts of the event.

The spiders that are dying we barely knew for the most part and it is ratcheting up the suspense and consequences. You cannot have something like this and not expect a few deaths. It's comics. I know my favorite Ben Reilly will die and I have accepted it as long as it's a fun exciting story which it and all the tie ins have been so far. Best spider story in years. I am on the edge of my seat for every part, AMS and the tie ins

Amazing Member MJM Mystery Writer's Avatar

I like the concept....but the execution is frustrating. I really don't like one-page (or one-panel) deaths. It has little to no point. If a Spider-man has to die during this series, give him his own story and really delve into the character. I don't like to waste time on reading about the death of a character I only knew for one-panel.....Oh well. aside from that, I am enjoying this event quite a bit. The only thing I'm NOT looking forward to is watching Ben Reilly die in the comics all over again.....I didn't agree with his death (or HOW he died) the first time around....(a "perfect" clone turns to dust?? Yeah, right).

Folks, please keep it civil and respectful.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 12-26-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MJM Mystery Writer View Post
    I like the concept....but the execution is frustrating. I really don't like one-page (or one-panel) deaths. It has little to no point. If a Spider-man has to die during this series, give him his own story and really delve into the character. I don't like to waste time on reading about the death of a character I only knew for one-panel.....Oh well. aside from that, I am enjoying this event quite a bit. The only thing I'm NOT looking forward to is watching Ben Reilly die in the comics all over again.....I didn't agree with his death (or HOW he died) the first time around....(a "perfect" clone turns to dust?? Yeah, right).
    I agree about Ben but have prepared myself and come to terms. I am sure he will go out the hero he is

BANNED

If you ask me , I think that Spider-verse purpose and point is for Dan Slott to do the dirty work of Jonathan Hickman's Avengers titles and kill off a lot of alternate Spider-men/women/children, in order to rush into the upcoming Secret Wars event.

In other words, it's Spider-man version of the Incursions. Which is ironic considering that Slott is building off from what Hickman's planning in the Avengers tities.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I don't really see how this is a "housecleaning" at all. If Marvel wanted to get rid of the multiverse's various Spider-Men, they just wouldn't publish comics about them, as they hadn't for the years leading up to Spider-Verse. I mean, jeez, a good number of the Spider-people we've seen in this event were created for it. If Spider-Verse is a housecleaning, that's like dumping a big box of dirt on your carpet before you vacuum.

The point of this storyline, as is the point of most comics storylines, is producing a story that people will buy and enjoy.

BANNED

It could be shuffling off some established characters and creating "replacements" for them. For example, if someone believes that Anya is inherently flawed, then there's nothing to "salvage" from her. So if you create a new character, like Silk, then the "base" of the character can be more freely defined.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I don't really see how this is a "housecleaning" at all. If Marvel wanted to get rid of the multiverse's various Spider-Men, they just wouldn't publish comics about them, as they hadn't for the years leading up to Spider-Verse. I mean, jeez, a good number of the Spider-people we've seen in this event were created for it. If Spider-Verse is a housecleaning, that's like dumping a big box of dirt on your carpet before you vacuum.

The point of this storyline, as is the point of most comics storylines, is producing a story that people will buy and enjoy.
    To me this seems like the opposite of house cleaning. Its taking all that trash and thrift store stuff lying around and spreading it around the house. Then releasing goats on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    To me this seems like the opposite of house cleaning. Its taking all that trash and thrift store stuff lying around and spreading it around the house. Then releasing goats on it.
    The Inheritors were goat totems all along. Sounds about right to me.