Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

A Nebula movie without the Guardians would have a much harder time being interesting than a Black Widow movie without the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teek View Post
    I don't understand how a Black Widow movie slated to follow Cap 3 (with newly Capified Bucky in a supporting role) isn't already part of the plan.
    Scheduling plus Scarlett would probably demand a hefty salary that will take some negotiation.
    There was talk of a BW movie on the drawing board earlier this year, but her pregnancy put that on hold, and required a rush of her scenes for Avengers 2.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    Marvel simply have no Wonder Woman. That's what it all comes down to in the end.

(Now, if DC/WB manages to utilize her properly in their films is another matter of course. I wouldn't give too much much for their chances.)
    Well. Captain Marvel, Sif, and Black Widow is among the most requested to have a solo film. To name a few. Why they haven't taken the chance with them when they took a chance with a movie involving a freaking talking Racoon and a humanoid tree who can only say "I am Groot" I do not know.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

Scheduling plus Scarlett would probably demand a hefty salary that will take some negotiation.
    There was talk of a BW movie on the drawing board earlier this year, but her pregnancy put that on hold, and required a rush of her scenes for Avengers 2.
    That and I'm pretty sure Scarlett's profile has been raised pretty high due to her success of Lucy

Extraordinary Member

They already HAVE a Black Widow screenplay.

Written by the guy who wrote the screenplay for Days of Future Past, Dave Hayter.

This is getting embarrasing.

What excuse are they gonna come up with next? Black Widow has been in 3 movies and 2 cartoon
    series at this point. Her profile has never been higher.

Its not the lack of a script that is holding them back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    They already HAVE a Black Widow screenplay.

Written by the guy who wrote the screenplay for Days of Future Past, Dave Hayter.

This is getting embarrasing.

What excuse are they gonna come up with next? Black Widow has been in 3 movies and 2 cartoon
    series at this point. Her profile has never been higher.

Its not the lack of a script that is holding them back.
    Woah. He wrote the movie? That explains why it was so good.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    GG was definitely an ensemble film more than anything else. What's more is that the titular guardians were two black actors, two white actors, and one Greek/Latino. That movie was the melting pot.
    The MCU has more green superheroes than they do black superheroes.

Green: Hulk, Gamora, Drax
    Black: Falcon, Iron Patriot

The MCU has the same amount of green superheroes as they do female superheroes:

Green: Hulk, Gamora, Drax
    Women: Black Widow, Gamora, Mockingbird

And one of them is green.

There's room for improvements.
    Last edited by Mr. Action; 10-19-2014 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Well. Captain Marvel, Sif, and Black Widow is among the most requested to have a solo film. To name a few. Why they haven't taken the chance with them when they took a chance with a movie involving a freaking talking Racoon and a humanoid tree who can only say "I am Groot" I do not know.
    I would guess because they don't really believe in them in the end. Just how it is in the comic books, also on the movie side. Or at least, how the creatives and people in charge think it is.

BANNED

I think you're all missing a key point... Marvel has planned movies until 2018. They've said they won't reveal what they are before Age of Ultron and that they roughly form a old/new/old pattern as far as properties used go. And they've been name-dropping Captain Marvel (the Danvers version, rightly) and Black Panther in exactly the same way as they used to name-drop Guardians of the Galaxy.

I would bet five hundred bucks that a Captain Marvel and Black Panther movie are already locked-in, but Marvel just hasn't formally announced it yet. There's really no reason to assume these movies aren't already happenin when all evidence points to the opposite being true. Hell, GotG went faaaaar out of its way to NOT use mainstream Kree civilisation, despite Ronan normally being the second-in-command of the whole society! That was very, very clearly to save those story elements for a Kree-heavy Captain Marvel movie. Their very important use in SHIELD supports this as well, in that it is very coy about the Kree and is really adding to their mystery. And it really is the strongest choice for a new hero in the MCU; if they use SWORD they can unite the cosmic with the earthbound in one fell swoop.

Black Widow in addition to that is also very possible, I think. Like others said; there likely isn't a "one female movie" limit and Black Widow is one of their most popular characters, on multiple platforms (including the insanely successful Disney Infinity as a base character), played by one of the biggest actresses of the moment. So I think that could be happening too, but that really depends on Scarlet Johansson more than anything behind the scenes at Marvel Studios.

I'd probably put Spider-Woman after that, because she could work as a kind of anti-Captain America. The Hydra setup is perfect to launch a superhero from at the moment, and Taskmaster training her gives her a strong antagonist for the first movie. Plus this gives them a way to have a Spider in he MCU that they own outright, even if they can cut a usage deal for Spider-Man. (I could also see this as a good place to utilize Hawkeye, Mockingbird or Black Widow, or even Fury; as someone hunting and then handling the fledgling Spider-Woman). It basically gives you a superhero in the Black Widow mold with a bit more visual oomph and a name that, while it may initially confuse, will still sell very well if marketed correctly.

A She-Hulk, Black Widow and Captain Marvel movie would be so easy to make. If you can do Thor, She-Hulk and Black Widow would be a walk in the park. I hope all three get solo movies announced soon.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

DC is doing Wonder Woman because they have one female they can bank on.

Marvel should be doing a Widow movie in the spring like Winter Soldier and then a Capt Marvel summer space movie like GotG.
    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Action movies starring women leads can make a profit (sauce). But I can't think of a single one that was a blockbuster.
    I just read the link, as they have updated it as Hunger Games was a huge success and Aliens was too (opened in first and made 85 million in 1986). The first Charlies Angels movie made 200 million. Kill Bill and Lara Croft (first one) also did big numbers.
    I also liked:
    One last thought: When you look at the female superhero movies that tanked (or the unsuccessful female-led action movies generally) one thing stands out: They were horrible. We're talking Supergirl, Catwoman, Aeon Flux, Elektra, Ultraviolet, Barb Wire, Cutthroat Island, and a few others. (Jonah Hex was similarly awful, but nobody says Josh Brolin should be banned from movies.) There isn't a track record of decent female-led action movies tanking, but rather a moderate number of really terrible films that deserved to fail.
    Last edited by PretenderNX01; 10-20-2014 at 02:18 AM.

I'm totally on board for a female superhero solo film. We have enough male solo films to fill a library as it stands. I think the time has come for Marvel and DC to put the dark memories of Catwoman and Elektra behind them. Those were missteps. Now they just have to show that they can learn from those missteps. Wonder Woman is a good first step, but there are so many other great female characters to explore. Captain Marvel is at the top of that list and Gamora's profile is rising as well. Half the world's population are women. It's not a good idea to shut out half a world of potential customers. That's just good business practices.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

I would guess because they don't really believe in them in the end. Just how it is in the comic books, also on the movie side. Or at least, how the creatives and people in charge think it is.
    I love how Captain Marvel fans exaggerate her importance and popularity when she's never been able to maintain a title of her own and isn't even relevant in the Marvel Universe at large.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimRaynor55 View Post
    Black Widow is such a no brainer at this point. The character is established, and she's immediately accessible. You literally don't need to know anything more about her other than that she's a spy.

They've got one of the most famous actresses in the world playing her. Someone who just powered a modestly budgeted ($40 million) and weird art film with mediocre reviews to more than $415 million worldwide box office. More than Tom Cruise and The Rock's last movies. More than the first Captain America.

Any questions about a woman's ability to lead a movie (as sexist as that idea always was from the start) should have been put to rest by The Hunger Games and all of be successful females movies that have come out in recent years.

A Black Widow movie wouldn't just bring in Marvel fans, it can appeal to people who don't really care about superheroes at all. People who like James Bond or good action movies in general without the costumes.
    Don't know what Marvel is waiting for.
    I just wanted to say that this covers pretty much every thought I have on the matter. Kudos!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    I love how Captain Marvel fans exaggerate her importance and popularity when she's never been able to maintain a title of her own and isn't even relevant in the Marvel Universe at large.
    They made a Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

They are making a Ant Man movie.

One of those properties, got cancelled at issue 30 or so, the other never had a series at all.

Whatever criteria they are using to decide what movie to make, in story relevance in Marvel
    comics has nothing to to with it.

Once they decided to make an Ant Man movie, they lost the relevance/importance excuse forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    But still with a white male lead.
    Yes, but you questioned the concept of using Carol Danvers in a Captain Marvel movie, as the source material would be low selling and use a name more associated with two other male characters. If Marvel were to approach a Captain Marvel movie using Carol Danvers with the same formula and zeal as they did Guardians of the Galaxy, the source material wouldn't matter, and she would instantly be the most well known character to carry that name.

Marvel simply have no Wonder Woman. That's what it all comes down to in the end.
    Yes, and I think that Carol Danvers (as either Ms or Captain Marvel) fits that role better than almost every other female hero in the 616. Successfully implant her into the MCU and you cement that status. Other possible candidates for the role, IMO, would be She-Hulk, Storm, or Jean Grey, and seeing as Fox owns the movie rights to two of those, it leaves Carol Danvers and She-Hulk. And since She-Hulk is a female version of a male character, I would think Carol becomes the best option to port over and push to the top.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!