Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Default Favorite miniseries from image

I was realizing how much I loved the six issue debut series "The Nightly News" from Jonathan Hickman along with "Fell", "Pax Romana", and couple others. I just wondered what else I might be missing out on because all the discussion on here is focused on ongoing titles. I know, for example, that Ales Kot has a couple well regarded minis.

Starlight.......
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Loving Trees. Started out a little slow with all of the world-building, but the last issue was gold.
    "Magneto, you ARE the father!"

As far as current mini series are concerned ... I'd have to say: Starlight

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    As far as current mini series are concerned ... I'd have to say: Starlight

People keep recommending this one. What's it about and what makes it so good?

I really enjoyed The Infinite Horizon by Gerry Duggan. Pax Romana was really good too.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I really enjoyed The Infinite Horizon by Gerry Duggan. Pax Romana was really good too.
    Frankly, I would like more Pax Romana...

There's a lot of options here, so just going to list a few that spring to mind.
    -Green Wake is horror by the writer from Peter Panzerfaust, don't read if you like frogs. Two trades, so like 10 issues.
    -Glory is Ross Campbell doing violent colourful stuff with an old Liefeld property. Two trades, 10 or 12 issues.
    -Change is probably one of my favourite comics of all time. Four issues, Ales Kot writing with Morgan Jeske on art, who are a great team. This is super dense in that Ales Kot way where everything can mean something and nothing is ever laid out very clear. Trippy stuff about an astronaut, a rapper, a screenwriter and the end of the world.
    -Severed springs to mind, a 7-issue Scott Snyder horror mini. I liked this heaps better than The Wake which he did at Vertigo.
    -Stray Toasters was a 4-issue series entirely by Bill Sienkiewicz (spelling?), you know, the guy who does super expressive, abstract art and has often worked with Bendis over at Marvel (Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-Man Team-Up, Elektra). Not sure if this was ever intended as 4 issues, it felt more like there were plans for more but it just didn't happen. This is hate-it-or-love-it material, since it's really all about the art. The story is just there to allow Sienkiewicz to cut loose.
    -King City is a 12 issue, collected in one trade, masterpiece by Brandon Graham (Prophet, Multiple Warheads). Black and white, rather manga-esque, stuffed to the brim with little puns and gags. There's a cat. If you wanna see everyday life in a sci-fi world, this is a must. If you don't wanna see that, well pick it up anyway and have your mind changed.
    -Multiple Warheads, since we're on the Brandon Graham train. This is in colour and probably my favourite comic, period. There's 4 issues plus some older stuff in black & white which is more explicit in sexual content. Although he's working on a new 4-issue mini-series so soon this won't really count anymore.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    There's a lot of options here, so just going to list a few that spring to mind.
    -Green Wake is horror by the writer from Peter Panzerfaust, don't read if you like frogs. Two trades, so like 10 issues.
    -Glory is Ross Campbell doing violent colourful stuff with an old Liefeld property. Two trades, 10 or 12 issues.
    -Change is probably one of my favourite comics of all time. Four issues, Ales Kot writing with Morgan Jeske on art, who are a great team. This is super dense in that Ales Kot way where everything can mean something and nothing is ever laid out very clear. Trippy stuff about an astronaut, a rapper, a screenwriter and the end of the world.
    -Severed springs to mind, a 7-issue Scott Snyder horror mini. I liked this heaps better than The Wake which he did at Vertigo.
    -Stray Toasters was a 4-issue series entirely by Bill Sienkiewicz (spelling?), you know, the guy who does super expressive, abstract art and has often worked with Bendis over at Marvel (Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-Man Team-Up, Elektra). Not sure if this was ever intended as 4 issues, it felt more like there were plans for more but it just didn't happen. This is hate-it-or-love-it material, since it's really all about the art. The story is just there to allow Sienkiewicz to cut loose.
    -King City is a 12 issue, collected in one trade, masterpiece by Brandon Graham (Prophet, Multiple Warheads). Black and white, rather manga-esque, stuffed to the brim with little puns and gags. There's a cat. If you wanna see everyday life in a sci-fi world, this is a must. If you don't wanna see that, well pick it up anyway and have your mind changed.
    -Multiple Warheads, since we're on the Brandon Graham train. This is in colour and probably my favourite comic, period. There's 4 issues plus some older stuff in black & white which is more explicit in sexual content. Although he's working on a new 4-issue mini-series so soon this won't really count anymore.
    I will be taking all of these recommendations. King City is one of my favorite books of recent time, so you won me over with that one.

Planetoid - Silas, an ex-soldier turned space pirate, finds himself stranded on a mysterious planet in alien territory. As he explores the long-abandoned industrial ruins of the planet's surface, he will have to fend off roving cyborg militias and a hostile alien military with a bounty on his head. Ultimately, Silas will have to build a coalition amongst the planetoid's nomadic tribes in order to make a final stand against the larger tyrannical forces that rule over them.

Dancer - the story of a retired assassin who must protect his ballerina love from a sniper stalking them both through the back alleys of a wintry Europe.

Rebel Blood - ​A virus has created a wilderness of blood-thirsty creatures standing between you and your family. You don’t know if you can save them in time, or if you’ve even got the strength to try. But you’re about to find out.

In a world of ravenous creatures it doesn’t matter who you used to be. Today you’re lunch.

Strange Embrace

BANNED

Severed was awesome. definitely get this if nothing else. one of the best horror books i've read in years.

Storm Dogs was a fun little Sci-Fi thing. there's gonna be a sequel as well.

Severed
    No Place Like Home
    Mara
    Epic Kill

Fantastic Member

Back to Brooklyn by GARTH ENNIS, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, and MIHAILIO VUKELIC. A nasty little 5 issue crime series. You can probably find it in the bargain bins.

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    Severed was awesome. definitely get this if nothing else. one of the best horror books i've read in years.

Storm Dogs was a fun little Sci-Fi thing. there's gonna be a sequel as well.
    Severed is really good, I wish it had been longer.