Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Ok, so I don't have access to some of this stuff but i took a few recommendations. I did not care for "Severed". I loved the art, and it was creepy, but ultimately it felt pointless. It killed and degraded nice people for cheap scares and in the end, the bad guy wins. I know that's how horror works, but it didn't work for me.

On the other hand, Green Wake is really good. I wish it had gotten its full 25 issue run. Is there anything else great by Wiebe? I tried Rat Queens and it was fun, but a little too light for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    On the other hand, Green Wake is really good. I wish it had gotten its full 25 issue run. Is there anything else great by Wiebe? I tried Rat Queens and it was fun, but a little too light for me.
    His other big series is Peter Panzerfaust. It's solid.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Agent John Bishop View Post
    Like Capuga says, his obvious ones are Peter Panzerfaust (and Rat Queens). Those are both ongoing though. There's a few more like Intrepids, Grim Leaper and Snow Angel but I've not read any of those. I did read a 4-issue/1 trade mini called Debris with Riley Rossmo. Iiiiiiit's... Honestly not sure if I can really recommend it.
    I liked all the elements at play: planet of verge of extinction, drowning in all the waste and rubbish produced by consumerist societies, with these monsters that toe the line between dragons and garbage trucks. Sounds cool right?
    But I feel like it kinda squanders the ending by taking only like 4 or 6 pages to wrap it all up quite suddenly. The idea is there, but they don't pull it off in execution. Also some of the dialogue feels pretty stunted, they're trying to the Mad Max 2 thing where language has evolved and simplified but it's not really believable, and while Rossmo is a good artist I think it's not a natural fit here. A lil' too cartoony sometimes while the script is going for very serious.

EDIT: Another mini that just sprung to mind is Ed Brisson's "Comeback" from a year or two ago. Four issues and a time-travel plot somewhat similar to the movie Looper. This company has a service to bring people into the future or past (I forget which one) illegally to get people out of trouble. Of course not everything is as it seems and the agents carrying out "just another job" get tangled up or whatever. So it's becoming a cat/mouse thriller with both parties trying to override each other's timelines. Does a few interesting things art-wise and it's just a very measured comic, I remember really liking it.
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 10-31-2014 at 01:37 AM.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    Starlight.......
    Agreed.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Although Image is probably my favorite publisher right now, I can't think of that many mini-series' they've done that have knocked my socks off. From the top of my head, I can only think of these:

Blue Estate
    Butcher Baker Righteous Maker
    Halcyon
    I Kill Giants
    Storm Dogs
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Planetoid

Storm Dogs

Have yet to read Starlight, it didnt interest me at first cause I havent liked Millar's output in a while but reading how well received it has been Im going to catch up with it when I get the chance

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken1 View Post
    Although Image is probably my favorite publisher right now, I can't think of that many mini-series' they've done that have knocked my socks off. From the top of my head, I can only think of these:

Blue Estate
    Butcher Baker Righteous Maker
    Halcyon
    I Kill Giants
    Storm Dogs
    Oh, holy crap, yes! I Kill Giants is frickin' incredible - easily one of the most beautiful and moving comics I've ever read.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Spectacular Member Agent John Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Oh, holy crap, yes! I Kill Giants is frickin' incredible - easily one of the most beautiful and moving comics I've ever read.
    Couldn't agree more. Absolutely perfect book.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    -Stray Toasters was a 4-issue series entirely by Bill Sienkiewicz (spelling?), you know, the guy who does super expressive, abstract art and has often worked with Bendis over at Marvel (Daredevil, Ultimate Spider-Man Team-Up, Elektra). Not sure if this was ever intended as 4 issues, it felt more like there were plans for more but it just didn't happen. This is hate-it-or-love-it material, since it's really all about the art. The story is just there to allow Sienkiewicz to cut loose.
    Stray Toasters was always meant to be 4 issues, but they were originally published as 4 48-page prestige issues by Epic/Marvel. Has Bill put out a new edition through Image? I have the Graphitti Designs edition from the 2003.

In any event, great book with mind-blowing art. It's one of those things were you can read it a thousand times, and you will find something new each time. (Of course, it takes 2-3 times for it to really make sense in the first place.)

Another mini in this vein would be Ted McKeever's Metropol, which was republished through Image Shadowline as part of The Ted McKeever Library. It takes a few reads, but it's an amazing work. (It also was published by Epic in the late '80s.)

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Stray Toasters was always meant to be 4 issues, but they were originally published as 4 48-page prestige issues by Epic/Marvel. Has Bill put out a new edition through Image? I have the Graphitti Designs edition from the 2003.

In any event, great book with mind-blowing art. It's one of those things were you can read it a thousand times, and you will find something new each time. (Of course, it takes 2-3 times for it to really make sense in the first place.)
    Looks like it, yes! I didn't realise it wasn't originally from Image. Makes sense on reflection though. The copyright notice in this says 2008, it's one paperback trade. This is the version which I have: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...om_search=true
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

I'd have to go with Alan Moore's Violator vs. Badrock...it's just a lot of fun, nothing special but a beloved piece of my collection. Alan Moore's 1963 series was also cool too. I'd be remiss not to mention Splitting Image as well for fans of early Image.

It was mentioed previously but DANCER is a great one. Beautiful art and story telling.
    I'd be remiss if I didn't mention LUTHER STRODE. They are a trilogy of mini series but you can't go wrong there.