Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

One thing I recall reading years ago that annoyed me as a young comic reader was when the idea of putting Bishop and Storm together and one of the reasons as to why they wouldn't be hooked up was because due to their race, they were too obvious of a pairing.

BANNED

I didn't want them to hook up because I thought Bishop was too curmudgeonly for Storm. She likes fun/freedom. He's grim and moody. Why Forge never worked, though I liked that pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I didn't want them to hook up because I thought Bishop was too curmudgeonly for Storm. She likes fun/freedom. He's grim and moody. Why Forge never worked, though I liked that pairing.
    Storm and Bishop together had a fun dynamic and enjoyed each other's company. And Bishop wasn't always grim and moody. His personality shifted depending on either writer or who he interacted with.

Can't find the scan where Storm left Bishop cracking up after dropping a pile of snow on him. Ah well.

But I'm not saying I ever wanted them together. It was the excuse as to why they wouldn't be together is what annoyed me.

Frankly, Storm is like Wonder Woman; fans will always make excuses for her she shouldn't be with any prospective partner. Madonna–whore complex in superhero form.

Unfortunately, like Wonder Woman (and Power Girl), it goes double time when the boyfriend/girlfriend is black it seems.

BANNED

There's just less of them in comics and when pairing couples up it's a combination of who is available and who makes story sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    One thing I recall reading years ago that annoyed me as a young comic reader was when the idea of putting Bishop and Storm together and one of the reasons as to why they wouldn't be hooked up was because due to their race, they were too obvious of a pairing.
    Obvious isn't always bad. That's the crux of the argument against Wonder Woman and Superman and I like them together too.

I'm all for interracial relationships. You should be with whomever you fall in love with. It's just that comics don't reflect reality as I've come to know it and that seems a little foreign.

Back to the assertion that interracial relationships are so prevalent because of there only being one person of color on a team, that doesn't really hold water when you stop to think of all the various girlfriends of the X-Men that weren't actually X-Men. Amanda Sefton, Candy Southern, Lilandra Neramani, Vera Cantor, Opal Tanaka, etc.

I like races, especially sprints. I run really fast
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

In addition to the lack of non white characters in most teams, I bet a lot of comic book writers do it to seem more progressive given how uncomfortable racists get when they see a black man and white women together.

But mostly because there usually aren't any other black characters in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I just figured Bishop was too retro, I mean he's from the future wearing a Jheri curl? I know styles are cyclical but come on man, unless he had a secondary mutation for that, I didn't think storm would be feeling him
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    I just figured Bishop was too retro, I mean he's from the future wearing a Jheri curl? I know styles are cyclical but come on man, unless he had a secondary mutation for that, I didn't think storm would be feeling him
    Bishop had a curl, but at the time Storm was still rocking her mohawk and dressing like a punk rock breakdancer 10 years after it was out of style. Now her mohawk is cool again.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Bishop had a curl, but at the time Storm was still rocking her mohawk and dressing like a punk rock breakdancer 10 years after it was out of style. Now her mohawk is cool again.
    No, Storm was back to long hair when Bishop came around. She dropped the Mohawk sometime around Fall of the Mutants. (Not sure how she went from short, straight hair to long, straight hair between Uncanny 280 and 281, but she did.)
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    No, Storm was back to long hair when Bishop came around. She dropped the Mohawk sometime around Fall of the Mutants. (Not sure how she went from short, straight hair to long, straight hair between Uncanny 280 and 281, but she did.)
    Plot twist. Accelerated hair growth is her secondary mutation..It also explains why her hair has been getting longer since issue 1 of her book.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post

yes..yes it is lol
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    It was when she came back from the Siege Perilous as a little kid that her hair grew back, but she cut the sides and changed to the lightning bolt costume, but I thought Bishop was around by then, Gambit was.

She didn't have the Mohawk in Australia, though. I'm not exactly sure when it went away, but she was definitely back to a regular 'do by then. As I recall, she had the same hairdo when Nanny and Orphan Maker turned her into a kid and she met Gambit (she never went through the Siege Perilous). Then it got shaved off by the Genoshans during X-Tinction Agenda, and then grew out to its previous, short length afterwards, up until X-Men #1.

Hmmm. OK, looking on comics.org, I see she has long locks again on the cover of the first Australia issue (although the head in the corner box still has the Mohawk, and does through issue 246). It stays that way through the Australia period, and then she vanishes from the covers until issue 265, where she has short hair and is a kid. And yeah, there she is bald on the cover of 272, and short-haired on 273. So maybe hair growth is her secondary mutation.

(Comics, everybody.)
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist