Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Why Isn't Luke Cage or Sam Wilson The Leader Of The Uncanny Avengers?

African Americans have been mentioned as who the mutants are alluding too for ages now. That the African American discrimination experience their whole lives is like the mutant experience. Who better than an African American to lead the mutants Avengers Team of reconciliation?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    African Americans have been mentioned as who the mutants are alluding too for ages now. That the African American discrimination experience their whole lives is like the mutant experience. Who better than an African American to lead the mutants Avengers Team of reconciliation?
    Maybe someone Asian?

I think Sam Wilson is leading them soon, right? Looks that way at least.

Because they are both pretty busy with the Mighty Avengers.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I think Steve wanted the position give to a mutant, which is sort of understandable given the teams mandate. I suppose in theory Sam could be leader of the Uncanny Avengers in the new line up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Steve wanted the position give to a mutant, which is sort of understandable given the teams mandate. I suppose in theory Sam could be leader of the Uncanny Avengers in the new line up.
    Then maybe they should have put Storm in the leadership role.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Then maybe they should have put Storm in the leadership role.
    Remender wanted to have Storm for the book originally but was told no.

As for Luke, he basically wanted to get away from the Avengers lifestyle after AvX but ended up pulled back in from Infinity. And who knows what Sam's position on the team will be for the relaunch.

Invincible Member

Because they're already leading the Mighty team.

when's the last time a person of color led one of the "main" Avengers teams? Or one of the X-teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    when's the last time a person of color led one of the "main" Avengers teams? Or one of the X-teams?
    I think Storm is the leader of the X-Men at the Jean Grey school right now.

But as far as the Avengers go, I guess it depends on how you define "main" Avengers team. Cage was the leader of the New Avengers. Black Panther is SORT OF the leader of the Illuminati (that one's kind of debetable). But yeah... when Steve's not dead he's TYPICALLY the leader of the main Avengers team.

Right off my head

Monica Rambeau
    Luke Cage
    Storm
    Black Panther
    Nick Fury Jr.
    I believe Sunspot
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Well, for a while now, mutants have been more commonly compared to the LGBT community. So why not a gay person leading the team?

But I think the answer is that there's no black character who'd make in-story sense as leader of the team. Storm obviously would've made a lot of sense, but Remender wasn't allowed to use her. We don't really know yet who's going to lead the new line-up. Sam or Wanda would be the most obvious options.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Maybe someone Asian?
    Or because the Unity squad's goal was to oppose mutant discrimination, maybe someone mutant? Which it was. But I wouldn't oppose an ethnically diverse leader. It looks to be that either Sam or Wanda will be leading this next squad-- which makes it an African-American or a woman. Which is fine by me.
    Last edited by gifted; 10-19-2014 at 11:32 PM.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella

And who says that Falcon-Cap isnt the leader ?.

Ultimate Member

Luke Cage led the New Avengers for a veeeeeery long time and that ended probably in 2012.

He's the leader of the Mighty Avengers.