Page 489 of 550 FirstFirst ... 389439479485486487488489490491492493499539 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,335 of 8240

Thread: Game of Thrones

  1. #7321
    Extraordinary Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Myself, having only watched a few glimpses of GoT over the 8 seasons I had to ask an aficionado if she thought Daenerys played out of character, and she said, “Uh uh. Daenerys had family history regarding her brother and her family”.

    This ties in with my feelings on Daenerys, although she looks a very pleasant person from my viewing of her, she inherits the “How to tame your dragon” shamaness tradition, and you think, ‘that is a disturbing gift to inherit’. So, I consider that no matter how well your demeanour in life may be, you can’t escape the result of horror, no matter how much you suppress it by showing a nice face towards life. One day, all the injustice that you have been suppressing, will out, and it is here that I think Daenerys, in the penultimate episode, was moved to unleash all her pent-up revenge.

    I put it this way. Daenerys portrays a basic human propensity that no matter what we do to be good, humanity is such that it will always do what Daenerys did, no matter how pretty she looks. You are governed by your history, and if history has dealt you painfully, you will deal with society painfully in return. I’m not surprised by Daenerys actions. GoT is a horror of a landscape. The prettiest people could not but return bloodbath in that environment.
    Dany has also been pretty brutal to those who have been in her way on multiple occasions - it's just that those were scummers who arguably deserved even worse than what she gave them, so the audience didn't fully noticed this aspect of her character until innocents were killed.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  2. #7322
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Was really hoping for Dany to commit suicide.

  3. #7323
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Dany has also been pretty brutal to those who have been in her way on multiple occasions - it's just that those were scummers who arguably deserved even worse than what she gave them, so the audience didn't fully noticed this aspect of her character until innocents were killed.
    Wow, they actually pointed that out in the episode.

  4. #7324
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    15,824

    Default

    Have some criticisms, but overall, I think this is going to be getting far worse a rap than it really deserves. I know that's not exactly the most glowing endorsement, but again, it wasn't great. It just wasn't as bad as the shitstorm would have one believe.

    And it was less depressing than I always imagined the ending being.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  5. #7325
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Wow, they actually pointed that out in the episode.
    Literally every single thing I said in this thread for the last week were the reasons they used to justify Dany's turn.

    I'm sure people will complain but it's going to be kind of funny when some of the biggest complaints were "Jon didn't do anything yet", "Bran doesn't have a purpose", even stupid shit like "Jon didn't pet Ghost"/

  6. #7326
    Fantastic Member OpaqueGiraffe17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Wonder what purpose the Nightswatch serves now. And yeah it’s nice that Jon finally pet Ghost. Anyway the ending was pretty damn satisfying, imo. But I’m one of the few who’s actually really enjoyed the final season, as imperfect as it was.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-19-2019 at 07:33 PM.

  7. #7327
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Jon should have lied and just say Dany flew off with that dragon somewhere. I would have.

  8. #7328
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Wonder what purpose the Nightswatch serves now. And yeah it’s nice that Jon finally pet Ghost. Anyway the ending was pretty damn satisfying, imo. But I’m one of the few who’s actually really enjoyed the final season, as imperfect as it was.
    I mean technically it's really just a barrier now between the wildlings and the North.

  9. #7329
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    14,674

    Default

    Ugh. I honestly don't know how I feel right now. I'm going to think about this episode, watch it again tomorrow and then I might fully grasp what I'm feeling.

    I will say this, Sansa lost a lot of my respect this season. Especially after that stunt at the end.

    So everyone has to bow the knee to Bran but she's somehow special? No. Sorry Sansa. You just wanted to rule, even if it was only Winterfell.

    Everyone at that gathering should have called her out for that. They should have said "Okay. You don't want to bend the knee to Bran? Then neither does anyone else have to. Let's continue rolling with the wheel and kill each other". That would have really put her on the spot because it would have forced her to either bend the knee to Bran as well or reveal just how power hungry she really is. And that's all I'll say for now.
    But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.--Isaiah 40:31

    “Everything’s impossible until somebody does it.” – Batman

    “You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! Best weapons in the world!"--The Doctor

  10. #7330
    Once And Future BAMF Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Nowhere, Montana
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Where exactly was the bitter in this bittersweet ending? The lighting wasn't as bad as it was in Episode Three, but I still missed it...

    That said, I think this show ended the only way it could at this point, and aside from the choice of ruler at the end, I'm pretty okay with the ending we got.

    Best scene: the surviving and new Great House members laughing and brushing off the notion of representative democracy.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

    Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

    "I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

  11. #7331
    Extraordinary Member The Shape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post

    So everyone has to bow the knee to Bran but she's somehow special?
    Well, yeah. She’s his sister.

  12. #7332
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Well my first thought that is how it ends? Two years for this but after thinking it didn’t end that badly the Starks came out ahead and it really was a bittersweet ending. Despite my shipper tendency it ended okay not great but good enough I loved that Brienne wrote in the book , and I loved the small council ending scene but the saddest to me was I felt for the imp to find his siblings like that

    And I never thought Jon had it in him still just like whith end game I will take refuge in fanfiction

  13. #7333
    Fantastic Member OpaqueGiraffe17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Ugh. I honestly don't know how I feel right now. I'm going to think about this episode, watch it again tomorrow and then I might fully grasp what I'm feeling.

    I will say this, Sansa lost a lot of my respect this season. Especially after that stunt at the end.

    So everyone has to bow the knee to Bran but she's somehow special? No. Sorry Sansa. You just wanted to rule, even if it was only Winterfell.

    Everyone at that gathering should have called her out for that. They should have said "Okay. You don't want to bend the knee to Bran? Then neither does anyone else have to. Let's continue rolling with the wheel and kill each other". That would have really put her on the spot because it would have forced her to either bend the knee to Bran as well or reveal just how power hungry she really is. And that's all I'll say for now.
    After all the shit they’ve been through, I’d say the North has more than earned its independence. Plus everyone at the meet had already said aye to Bran.
    Btw, was that Robin Arynn? Wow puberty worked out pretty well for him considering how sickly he looked in the early seasons.

  14. #7334
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Where exactly was the bitter in this bittersweet ending? The lighting wasn't as bad as it was in Episode Three, but I still missed it...

    That said, I think this show ended the only way it could at this point, and aside from the choice of ruler at the end, I'm pretty okay with the ending we got.

    Best scene: the surviving and new Great House members laughing and brushing off the notion of representative democracy.
    I guess the bitter would be that Dany died and Jon had to take the L for it. But I don't even know if we can consider that a punishment for Jon. He didn't want to be King, he chose on his own to go in the NW the first time, and he was happiest there. He hated being a bastard in Winterfell, he only became Lord Commander and King in the North for the White Walkers. He's going to live out the rest of his life as a complete legend with NW and Wildings.

    Again kinda funny because I was on Westeros.orgs forums and they were pretty much arguing about how it's impossible for this ending to be anything but a tragedy.

    I guess the most bitter is Dany's turn and Jon not going on the throne. They were the two cliche candidates.

  15. #7335
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Ugh. I honestly don't know how I feel right now. I'm going to think about this episode, watch it again tomorrow and then I might fully grasp what I'm feeling.

    I will say this, Sansa lost a lot of my respect this season. Especially after that stunt at the end.

    So everyone has to bow the knee to Bran but she's somehow special? No. Sorry Sansa. You just wanted to rule, even if it was only Winterfell.

    Everyone at that gathering should have called her out for that. They should have said "Okay. You don't want to bend the knee to Bran? Then neither does anyone else have to. Let's continue rolling with the wheel and kill each other". That would have really put her on the spot because it would have forced her to either bend the knee to Bran as well or reveal just how power hungry she really is. And that's all I'll say for now.
    You make a good point though. Why was everyone else ok with being ruled? No one thought they should break away as well?
    Her response thought could easily be no one gave more in the seven kingdoms to allow everyone else to live than the north. They were the last stand against the night king. She has a valid point their reward should be freedom and independence.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •