Page 426 of 555 FirstFirst ... 326376416422423424425426427428429430436476526 ... LastLast
Results 6,376 to 6,390 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I hear the term "plot armor" being thrown around a lot as if it's a bad thing. In order to have a story, some characters need to survive until the climax. It's not plot armor, it's plot.

"Plot armor" is why Luke Skywalker wasn't killed by the Sandpeople and Indiana Jones wasn't crushed by that rolling rock.
    Luke Skywalker wasn't killed by Sandpeople cause Ben saved his ass. That's not at all an example of plot armor.

Spectacular Member Material Flux's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Luke Skywalker wasn't killed by Sandpeople cause Ben saved his ass. That's not at all an example of plot armor.
    It's the same thing, just a different process.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Or don't put them in situations where by all logic they should die, and we see others die in similar situations, but they survive with no logic than "the script says so."
    Yeah, you can basically choose NOT to have main characters you don't want to die in the fight. But it frankly would be more glaring if NONE of the main characters were fighting.

And it's not like EVERY person on the battle field died. Logic did not demand that EVERYONE die... just that some were good or lucky enough to survive, and some weren't. The NK was killed before WInterfell was completely overrun. So SOME people were going to die and SOME were going to survive. Just so happens a lot of those who survived were main stars.

Extraordinary Member

Ben just happened to be there in time to save Luke because he was Luke’s plot armor. Vader and the tie fighters shot down the other ships around Luke first because plot armor. Han was able to find Luke in the snow in the middle of a blizzard on Hoth because plot armor. Luke got off the second Death Star just in time because plot armor.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Rhaegel was already in pretty bad shape after the Battle of Winterfell. He, along with the Unsullied and the other participants, needed to rest and recover before heading to King's Landing. Everyone is amazed he was killed so easily, but you had to know the Scorpion crossbows had to come into play sometime. I expected to lose one of the dragons, and I knew it wasn't going to be Drogon.
    THat's where you see Sansa potentially was right when she suggested some troops need time to rest. Potentailly. Perhaps if Rhaegel had more time to recover, he could have fared better... perhaps. That's sort of a what if situation. Of course Sansa was talking more about the people of the north than the dragons or the Unsullied, but the same logic applies. Perhaps Dany is being too impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Ben just happened to be there in time to save Luke because he was Luke’s plot armor. Vader and the tie fighters shot down the other ships around Luke first because plot armor. Han was able to find Luke in the snow in the middle of a blizzard on Hoth because plot armor. Luke got off the second Death Star just in time because plot armor.
    You guys don't seem to have a clear grasp on what the expression "plot armor" exactly refers too i'm afraid.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

You guys don't seem to have a clear grasp on what the expression "plot armor" exactly refers too i'm afraid.
    According to TV Tropes, "Plot armor" is "when a main character's life and health are safeguarded by the fact that he's the one person who can't be removed from the story."

Which is what happens every time a main character survives a situation that would have been expected to kill him/her. You can't have a protagonist who is never in jeopardy until the very end of the story. Whenever you have a hero who is fighting for his life with an hour left to go in the movie, you know he's not going to die yet. Plot armor. It's been in every adventure story since Gilgamesh.

I can't believe the dragons didn't notice Euron's fleet from 2 miles at least... (plot armor lol). That wasn't believable.

I'm so disappointed for Dany's dark turn. It feels out of character to be so power hungry. I thought she was better than this. I don't know if her relationship with Jon can be restored. Probably not. But she stills cares for him, otherwise, if she was so mad like they want us to believe, she would have killed him during the battle of Winterfell. Of course Sansa was going to tell others about Jon. duh. Other than the Dany twist, it was a good episode to me. Maybe Brienne gets pregs. I liked that she and Jaime did it.

Also PLEASE SAY SPOILERS when you want to share or discuss leaks... I really don't want to know how this ends yet. I want to see it.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 05-06-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    According to TV Tropes, "Plot armor" is "when a main character's life and health are safeguarded by the fact that he's the one person who can't be removed from the story."

Which is what happens every time a main character survives a situation that would have been expected to kill him/her. You can't have a protagonist who is never in jeopardy until the very end of the story. Whenever you have a hero who is fighting for his life with an hour left to go in the movie, you know he's not going to die yet. Plot armor. It's been in every adventure story since Gilgamesh.
    The problem (recently) is they are constantly putting characters in ridiuclous scenarios where they should die.

ie... Jamie rushing a dragon, getting saved into a... puddle? river? lake? in full armor and magically reappearing just fine.

Which is fine for CW, weird for GoT.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

I'm so disappointed for Dany's dark turn. It feels out of character to be so power hungry.
    Lol wut? She's been fiending for that throne for 10 years lol

she would have killed him during the battle of Winterfell.
    and lose her biggest (only) supporter in the North? How does that make any sense?

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    The Sandsnakes is a perfect example of D&D rushing things just so they can be done with it. A lot of GoT later issues was avoidable even without book material. But D&D was over the show after about season 5.
    I feel that D&D loved the first 3 books, knew that events like Ned's execution or Red Wedding would be great for TV, but after that, they didn't cared or were thrilled with the plot. That's why they rushed thing and the quality decline faster that Melissandre's aging during the finale of episode 3.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Okay, so, Dany knows that Cersei has a large, powerful navy. She knows that what little naval power she has is busy holding the Iron Islands. So Cersei pretty much has uncontested dominance of the sea. And her response to this is to fly over the sea without being even the slightest bit alert. So is so lacking in alertness that she misses a huge navy on a clear day from an aerial view until she is in firing range...kay....

https://hips.hearstapps.com/digitals...0&resize=980:*

Judging from that map, there is no reason to travel to King's Landing via sea. Let Cersei have her naval dominance. Do everything via land and air. Euron can sit out there and rot.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 05-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Lol wut? She's been fiending for that throne for 10 years lol

and lose her biggest (only) supporter in the North? How does that make any sense?
    If she wanted that throne so badly, why wouldn't she kill or let Jon be killed when she had the chance? It was terrible to see her begging Jon for the throne... that made her look pathetic to me. It contradicts the Dany who told Jon she hoped she deserved it (to be the queen) in season 7.

Saw this..

Last edited by stargazer01; 05-06-2019 at 11:24 AM.

I can't believe the dragons didn't notice Euron's fleet from 2 miles at least... (plot armor lol). That wasn't believable.

I'm so disappointed for Dany's dark turn. It feels out of character to be so power hungry. I thought she was better than this. I don't know if her relationship with Jon can be restored. Probably not. But she stills cares for him, otherwise, if she was so mad like they want us to believe, she would have killed him during the battle of Winterfell. Of course Sansa was going to tell others about Jon. duh. Other than the Dany twist, it was a good episode to me. Maybe Brienne gets pregs. I liked that she and Jaime did it.

Also PLEASE SAY SPOILERS when you want to share or discuss leaks... I really don't want to know how this ends yet. I want to see it.
    I don't think Dany is anymore power hungry now than she was at the start. The plan always was to rule the 7 kingdoms, and she was prepared to take it by force.

The only difference is now it's personal. Cersi lied about sending forces to Winterfell and now she's killed one of her dragons and one of her close friends. At the start of season 7 she was going to attack Kings Landing until Tyrion talked her out of it. I think the big difference now is she won't be talked out of anything.

If she wanted that throne so badly, why wouldn't she kill or let Jon be killed when she had the chance?
    She'd lose the North