Page 397 of 555 FirstFirst ... 297347387393394395396397398399400401407447497 ... LastLast
Results 5,941 to 5,955 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

I loved the look on the face of Ser Davos as he witness Arya going full on ninja against the army of the dead. Which brings to mind this question: Does anyone know that Arya killed all the Frey males?
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I am both relieved and disappointed that they played it safe with the deaths. Relieved because I didn't want a lot of them to die anyway, but it also means the narrative loses some of its edge. Jorah and Theon are somewhat major deaths, but you could also see them coming a mile away. The rest were sad, but were all comparatively minor characters. It's a given that the Starks, Dany and Tyrion aren't getting killed off until the end (if any of them go).

Jamie, Brienne, Davos, Gendry, Grey Worm, Podrick, Sam, Tormund, Gilly, and Missandei ALL making it out alive seems a bit much, even if I'm not eager to see any of them go.

Arya getting the kill also seems out of left field. It was set up well in the episode itself, but looking at the whole series, not so much. She's barely interacted with this storyline and she ends it? The moment itself was badass, but it kind of displays the blatant favoritism the writers have for her. I love her too, but did she really need this on top of her other moments while Jon is kind of useless through the episode?

It was an engaging episode while I was watching it, but I don't think a lot of it will work on re-watch with the tension gone.
    Well put..

Extraordinary Member

I think most of the main cast dies in the next 3 episodes. GRRM has an affinity for LOTR and has cited the Scouring of the Shire as one of his influences of further battles and life going on after the big bad is defeated. I think Cersei being the unfinished business is that "life goes on" moment here. The heroes of Westeros banded together to save the world, there's still evil in the world.

Last night's episode was really telling in this one regard. Remember when Davos said this last season?

"If we don't put aside our enmities and band together, we will die. And then it doesn't matter whose skeleton sits on the Iron Throne."

In other words, it doesn't matter who sits on the Iron Throne. The Iron Throne is a distraction for the real threats these characters face. In fact, it's all the politicking, backstabbing, scheming, and in-fighting between the various Houses over who will sit on the Iron Throne and rule the Seven Kingdoms which have actually made things worse.

But after last night's episode, when the supposed main threat to all humanity is killed with a sneak attack, and there's still three more episodes in the series left? It's D&D basically telling us, "Ha! Ha! It really does matter who sits on the Iron Throne, even though GRRM'S books and our own series was telling you otherwise."

As one comment I saw about this episode last night said, "This has become Lost all over again."
    Last edited by stillanerd; 04-29-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

This episode justified all of Arya's plot threads, but still felt a bit rushed.

Bran though? What the hell was the point of him exactly? There has to be more because he was so entwined with the Night King and there was zero pay-off there for his story.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I loved the look on the face of Ser Davos as he witness Arya going full on ninja against the army of the dead. Which brings to mind this question: Does anyone know that Arya killed all the Frey males?
    I think so. Walder's family was condensed a lot for the show. His her, Stevron, was seen early in the series and never again, and didn't seem to be present in the hall when Arya poisoned them. In the books, Stevron died at the Battle of Oxcross and we can probably assume something similar happened to him offstage in the show.

Arya had the best staff-fighting choreography I've seen since the days of Xena.

BTW, if anyone still doesn't believe that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss didn't just undermine the entire theme of Game of Thrones in just one episode, then the headline of this hilarious Deadspin article says it all:

Cersei Lannister Is Smarter Than All These Morons
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    BTW, if anyone still doesn't believe that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss didn't just undermine the entire theme of Game of Thrones in just one episode, then the headline of this hilarious Deadspin article says it all:

Cersei Lannister Is Smarter Than All These Morons
    Cersei's always been of the smartest character on the show. Her only major screw up I can think of was arming the Faith Militant

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Cersei's always been of the smartest character on the show. Her only major screw up I can think of was arming the Faith Militant
    Oh no, she's done way more screw-ups than that, as the linked article above lays out. Cersei entire characterization is the textbook definition of someone who is too-clever-by-half. She's smart, yes, but she's not as smart as she thinks she is.

More gut wrenching: Avengers Endgame or GoT S8 E3?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OceanStar View Post
    More gut wrenching: Avengers Endgame or GoT S8 E3?
    The McDonald’s I had for lunch today.

I know, I know. You get what you pay for.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Whoa ho ho!!!! Just watched last night's episode and oh baby!! What an incredible ending to a fantastic episode!

I thought all along it was going to be John that killed the Night King, but Arya flying through the air and pulling a slick maneuver with her knife was awesome! You could see the guy behind him look back as his hair brushed slightly from the rush of Arya through the air. So cool.

I'm glad they finally ended that part of the story. Now they can take whatever is left of their army and take care of Cersei.

There was two things I didn't like. One is the part where the Dothraki charge out to the dead and get wiped out. Why?? That was so stupid. They should have stayed right there and protected the castle and let the dead come to them. Bad planning.

The other thing is what was the whole point of the connection between Bran and the Night King? I thought something would happen ( a flashback or something to explain it) but nothing.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

A lot of people were expecting there to be more to the Night King than there actually was. But in reality, we found out everything important about him in that flashback scene where the Children of the Forest created him, and in Bran's infodump about his motives. He wasn't a time travelling Bran, he wasn't an ancient Stark, he wasn't a metaphor for climate change... he was just a really bad-ass villain with some really tough powers.

Cersei is the true final boss. A villain with comprehensible motives and more than one weakness, but also many sources of power, and emotions that can either help or hinder her. And her allies won't all conveniently disintegrate if she dies. That's why Cersei had to be the final villain even though the NK was the bigger existential threat. He was a videogame villain, and she is a story villain.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Last night's episode was really telling in this one regard. Remember when Davos said this last season?

"If we don't put aside our enmities and band together, we will die. And then it doesn't matter whose skeleton sits on the Iron Throne."

In other words, it doesn't matter who sits on the Iron Throne. The Iron Throne is a distraction for the real threats these characters face. In fact, it's all the politicking, backstabbing, scheming, and in-fighting between the various Houses over who will sit on the Iron Throne and rule the Seven Kingdoms which have actually made things worse.

But after last night's episode, when the supposed main threat to all humanity is killed with a sneak attack, and there's still three more episodes in the series left? It's D&D basically telling us, "Ha! Ha! It really does matter who sits on the Iron Throne, even though GRRM'S books and our own series was telling you otherwise."

As one comment I saw about this episode last night said, "This has become Lost all over again."
    I mean regardless of the sequence the fight with the Noght King was for all of mankind. Cersei is just for throne. It’s one of the things GRRM always stressed. Yeah you can win the big pivotal battle... and then life goes on and the affairs of men continue. Like congrats you’re all massive heroes who saved the realm, the dispute over the throne is still going on and Cersei could still kill all of you despite you being legendary heroes now.

GRRM always said his least favorite tripe is the big bad is defeated and a presumed period of happiness

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    DOES Danni saving Jon put the people who thought she was gonna try to kill him at ease?

I know hes on his way north was kinda expecting Braun to show up and save Tyerion or Jamie at some point. Cause I dont think hes gonna try to kill them for even a second
    I was looking for somebody mentioning Dany saving Jon.

She didn't let him get killed.
    He told her to leave, but she stayed to fight.
    She did save his life.
    None of this surprised me one bit.
    This what I wanted and expected to happen, and I am glad that it happened.

There are still a few episodes left.
    I am curious what's going to happen between them after they fight Cersi.

Some people just want her to be the Mad Queen and villain.
    Some think because of her ruthlessness and strong sense of entitlement as well as her villainous Mad King roots, she's going to end up being the Mad Queen and villain.
    I don't think that at all.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.