Page 471 of 555 FirstFirst ... 371421461467468469470471472473474475481521 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,065 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    It wasn't genocide, just mass murder.

The city did submit to her. She started burning babies while the surrender bells were ringing in her ears.

She's not the same as the NK, but she would/will be a worse tyrant than Cersei. Cersei didn't have the love of the people, but she didn't particularly care. Dany I'm afraid has become a full-on narcissistic psychopath. She's fine with the people as long as they indulge her fantasy of being a revered Messiah figure, their beloved Mhysa. But if they don't, they are an affront to her and must be made to go away through fire. Submission isn't good enough. She demands love.

She's not gibbering and delusional like her father, but she's just as crazy in her own way. And more dangerous.
    Yeah, Dany might be a better person overall than Cersi, but she's a far far more dangerous tyrant. I think Cersi for the most part would leave everyone alone outside of KL (since she doesn't have the resources to really do much more than defend KL anyways). She can maybe retake the Iron Islands but that's probably it. They don't like Cersi, but they don't necessarily fear her either.

They fear Dany, and they now have every right to. She has the will and the ability to take Westeros by force and kill anyone who stands against her. It's a notch below the NK but several notches above Cersi, who is more bark than bite at this point. It's why Dany one way or the other needs to be stopped. Leaving Cersi on the throne is almost a more hopeful ending for Westeros than Dany at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Didn't she have a converstaoi with someone (I think tyrion) on why the common folk didn't turn on cersei and welcome her?

I am not saying she didn't snap this episode. But we don't know if that snap is permanent or temporary. By and large, before this incident, if you submitted, she let you live.

eh, technically we don't know that. It may have been a momentary snap of crazy. We won't know til the next episode if she keeps wanting to burn everything down

Thought his was great from "The Ringer" website
    They people of KL didn't turn on Cersi out of fear. ONce they realized there was more reason to fear Dany than Cersi, those swords were dropping and those screams to ring were bell came quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, Dany might be a better person overall than Cersi, but she's a far far more dangerous tyrant. I think Cersi for the most part would leave everyone alone outside of KL (since she doesn't have the resources to really do much more than defend KL anyways). She can maybe retake the Iron Islands but that's probably it. They don't like Cersi, but they don't necessarily fear her either.

They fear Dany, and they now have every right to. She has the will and the ability to take Westeros by force and kill anyone who stands against her. It's a notch below the NK but several notches above Cersi, who is more bark than bite at this point. It's why Dany one way or the other needs to be stopped. Leaving Cersi on the throne is almost a more hopeful ending for Westeros than Dany at this point.
    If you light everyone on fire, no one can send ravens to tell everyone what happened

Dany pragmatic lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

eh, technically we don't know that. It may have been a momentary snap of crazy. We won't know til the next episode if she keeps wanting to burn everything down
    That's the thing... she won't keep burning everything, unless "they force her to." If she'd just snapped like her father did, things are simple (albeit horrible)... you've got a monster in need of slaying, so you slay it.

But Daenerys is still rational and she's got a dragon who doesn't care who or what he burns, and an army that thinks it's high time they got to rape and pillage old school.

Thing is, Dany has always succeeded through numbers. She's always conquered cities where the majority were oppressed by a minority. Now EVERYBODY in King's Landing (and soon Westeros) hates her, and the only people who love her are her dragon and her decimated army.

If you light everyone on fire, no one can send ravens to tell everyone what happened

Dany pragmatic lol
    And Dany already knows how easy it is to keep a secret in Westeros. I'll wager the start of the next episode will be Dany begging Jon not to tell anyone. That should work.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    That's the thing... she won't keep burning everything, unless "they force her to." If she'd just snapped like her father did, things are simple (albeit horrible)... you've got a monster in need of slaying, so you slay it.

But Daenerys is still rational and she's got a dragon who doesn't care who or what he burns, and an army that thinks it's high time they got to rape and pillage old school.

Thing is, Dany has always succeeded through numbers. She's always conquered cities where the majority were oppressed by a minority. Now EVERYBODY in King's Landing (and soon Westeros) hates her, and the only people who love her are her dragon and her decimated army.
    Dany always needed a strong support system to prevent herself from going too far. Her armies and dragon, given the choice would probably go FARTHER than she normally would want to go, so she needs to reign them in while someone in term needs to keep her in check. Sir Jorah's and Varys aren't around anymore, and I'm pretty sure Tyrion will be joining them pretty soon.

Her last hail mary would be Jon (and Jons support group like Davos), but the knowledge that he has the stronger claim to the Iron Throne basically poisons the well there.

Extraordinary Member

Dorne is the one that refused to bend to the knee to the original dragon conqueror right? Live in mountains or something
    Dorne was the last to join and didn’t bow to Aegon. It’s why they are still called Princes and Princesses in Dorne

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Dany always needed a strong support system to prevent herself from going too far. Her armies and dragon, given the choice would probably go FARTHER than she normally would want to go, so she needs to reign them in while someone in term needs to keep her in check. Sir Jorah's and Varys aren't around anymore, and I'm pretty sure Tyrion will be joining them pretty soon.

Her last hail mary would be Jon (and Jons support group like Davos), but the knowledge that he has the stronger claim to the Iron Throne basically poisons the well there.
    Plus most of that group has already demonstrated that she can't really trust them either.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

You, know. I just realized I missed the context of Varys talking to the Little Bird in the opening scene. The girl worked in the kitchen and told Varys that Dany wasn't eating. The little girl was worried about the risk to herself and Varys reassured her the greater the risk, the greater the reward. I thought she was just spying for him, but I think Varys was plotting to have Dany poisoned and killed. Thereby leaving the throne open for Jon.

That would've made for a more satisfying reason of Dany executing Varys, than him telling everyone Jon's secret.

Extraordinary Member

Dany is a conqueror/tyrant. She isn’t insane. She decided Westeros belonged to her and she’s taking it in the manner she wants which is fire and blood. She’s what Drogo is. She comes in, sacks the city, gets the people to submit.

Jorah checked Dany’s impulses. Then Tyrion did. She lost Jorah and lost faith in Tyrion. She didn’t want to fight a tactical war to minimize causalities she wanted a quick takeover

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    You, know. I just realized I missed the context of Varys talking to the Little Bird in the opening scene. The girl worked in the kitchen and told Varys that Dany wasn't eating. The little girl was worried about the risk to herself and Varys reassured her the greater the risk, the greater the reward. I thought she was just spying for him, but I think Varys was plotting to have Dany poisoned and killed. Thereby leaving the throne open for Jon.

That would've made for a more satisfying reason of Dany executing Varys, than him telling everyone Jon's secret.
    I think a lot of people thought that was the implication. Tyrion was terrified because he knew Vary’s would go that far.

BANNED

Dany pragmatic lol
    3B42DE7E-D853-448F-AE62-243932133BFC.jpg
    /10char

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Dany is a conqueror/tyrant. She isn’t insane. She decided Westeros belonged to her and she’s taking it in the manner she wants which is fire and blood. She’s what Drogo is. She comes in, sacks the city, gets the people to submit.

Jorah checked Dany’s impulses. Then Tyrion did. She lost Jorah and lost faith in Tyrion. She didn’t want to fight a tactical war to minimize causalities she wanted a quick takeover
    Also,we got clear signs that Daenerys embraced the Dothraki way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hch_RT2_czg

She always saw Westeros as her rightful price.Viserys poisoned her mind about how the people will embrace Targaryens back to power, Drogon and her experience with the dothraki horde made her more warlike and the dragons gave her a weapon that could reshape the world into her desires. Dangerous combination, especially when she saw that in Westeros she is a foreigner. She felt unloved and she failed to make a good PR,so she went "screw it,i will go full Fire & Blood,on them."
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Dani wanted to burn the city from the moment she landed in Westoros and it was only her advisors who talked her down. I think she was going to burn the city no matter what, and that is why she got so pissed when they city gave up so easy. She knew that she would be hated for it but was going to destroy it all anyway no matter what. It was not her just snapping she is totally sane. She just does not care and hates that the people of Westeros don't love her like they did overseas and is going to teach them a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    The thing is, the show has sort of reached a point where in-depth character analysis of this kind isn't really warranted anymore. The writing this season has been so bad that it basically takes you completely out of the story and the only thing worth speculating about is what the writers were thinking, not how to make sense of everything within the context of the story. People have been speculating for years now that Dany would somehow turn evil and theorized about different ways in which it might happen, it's not like it's any kind of surprise twist to any except the most hardcore of Dany stans, and pretty much every random fan theory out there would have made more sense than just "Dany burninates **** because reasons."
    I disagree that in-depth character analysis isn't necessary even now. Because it's essential for understanding who they are and why they arrived at the decisions that they did. I do agree, however, that the writing for this season--and arguably for the past three seasons--isn't nearly as good as the first four.

But what we should also remember that it's not as though Benioff and Weiss came up with what's happened out of whole cloth. George R.R. Martin specifically told them the outline for his entire story after he'd already written five out of the seven books, and he told them what ultimately happens to each of the major characters. He's even stated that the ending of the series will be similar to the ending of his books. Thus like or not, Daenerys using Drogon to burn down King's Landing indiscriminately is very likely what GRRM planned for her all along. Not only was there more than enough foreshadowing in the books that this would likely happen, it totally fits with A Song of Ice and Fire's themes about how one person's hero can be another person's villain, that even good people are capable of committing atrocities and that bad people are capable of love. And yes, the idea that Dany, the "breaker of chains," the person who freed slaves and vanquished tyrants, who ironically imprisoned two of her dragons when they roasted a child, could ever be capable of something so horrific is shocking and disturbing, but that's precisely the point. Hers is a story about an exiled princess, destined to become queen, who has the chance to become a better ruler than her father, who could unite people from different walks of life under a banner of peace, who could didn't have be like the monarchs of the past and conquer through violence and fear. But in the end, she chose to become a dragon. She chose to become just like her father. Because her showing mercy and compassion is what cost her those she loved.

The problem, of course, is that Benioff and Weiss had that outline, that blueprint, and basically steered events towards that conclusion, regardless of whether it made and sense or not. After all, they simplified and rewrote the whole Dornish storyline--and no surprise that wound up being the worst storyline of the entire series--and completely excised the Young Griff story for the sake of time and expediency. It's why we got all that "fast travel" and Genry running like the Flash in season 7. And it's why we had such an abrupt end to the White Walker threat that was building since the very first scene of the series. That's the problem when you're working with an outline rather than having books worth of material.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 05-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton