Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
The easy explanation is that when he said he coudn't be lord of anything, he didn't know at the time he would be king. Doesn't mean he didn't know later. I don't think he necessarily knows all things at all times. He might have learned things at some point in time without necessarily knowing them all along. Point being we don't exactly know what he knows or when he learned it, so blaming him for stuff like Dany going nuts is a bit of a stretch. He can't be held responsible for every bad thing that happens, or every bad decision everyone else makes simply because he potentially has the ability to MAYBE know about it in advance. I think it's arguably more dangerous if he were to decide to play god and go that route. That'll probably drive him nuts faster than even Dany. For him, less probably is more.
Again, that was the problem with the vague comment(s) Bran has made. Can I blame him for what happened to Dany? Yes...and no. The writers failed to make it clear just what Bran knew and when.

So it comes down to two basic possibilities (with shades in between). 1. Bran gets totally random flashes of what is going to happen, such as 'he needs to go to KL to be king' or 'he needs to sit in this courtyard because this is where Arya offs the NK) or, 2. Bran spends a great deal of his time looking at the future and knows the details and acts (or doesn't act) so those details will come to pass, either because that's how things have to be, or because that's how Bran wants them to be.

I don't think it was ever made clear if Bran can do anything to change the future? Or is it through Bran's actions and/or inactions that cause the future to happen as it should?

There are a lot of possibilities but no actual canon/hard answers because Bran was written too mysteriously in the show.