Page 17 of 555 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117517 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

BANNED

BTW I've notice something. Does Dany do anything besides sit or stand around and just....talk? I kinda missed the Dany in season one where she actually does something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    In defense of Oberyn.

If you honestly think you'd act rationally fighting against the guy that raped your beloved sister, slaughtered her and her kids, and has been on your kill list for decades, then you might be sociopathic.

That, plus the fact that he was always extremely arrogant, and his loss is perfectly understandable. A fatal error, but a very in character error. Plus, most people would have been done after getting slashed in the neck, ankles, and stabbed through the chest.

But as they say in Zombieland: ALWAYS DOUBLE TAP.
    Or if one firmly believes that acting irrationally instead of with a calm head will get you killed. Which is exactly the case for Oberyn. It's not even the pre fight I'm going WTF over. It's the fact that he didn't pick up the damn spear and finish the damn job. Or at least disable him before gloating

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

In defense of Oberyn.

If you think you'd act rationally fighting against the guy that raped your beloved sister, slaughtered her and her kids, and has been on your kill list for decades, then you might be sociopathic. Or better yet, a liar.

That, plus the fact that he was always extremely arrogant, and his loss is perfectly understandable. A fatal error, but a very in character error. Plus, most people would have been done after getting slashed in the neck, ankles, and stabbed through the chest.

But as they say in Zombieland: ALWAYS DOUBLE TAP.
    Oh I think it was completely in character for Oberyn. But I liked the guy. That's why I did not like the end of the fight.
    Dude! He's not going to confess! Uh-oh... the music's changing... Doubletap and walk away! Hurry! Just...

Oh.

Aw hell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The New Black View Post
    Oh I think it was completely in character for Oberyn. But I liked the guy. That's why I did not like the end of the fight.
    Dude! He's not going to confess! Uh-oh... the music's changing... Doubletap and walk away! Hurry! Just...

Oh.

Aw hell.
    I was like..

"Kill him!!! He's at your mercy!!! Kill him!!!......Oh sh*t"

I mean killing the guy who raped and killed his sister would have been just as good.

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I don't think Arya's snapped at all. She finds out that the aunt she never met has died and sees the irony in the Hound came all this way for a reward that probably isn't coming now. (she doesn't know Sansa is there).
    My guess is it's a little from Column A, a little from Column B.

Busting out laughing at the news that a relative of yours died three days ago, while extremely ironic given the context of what the Hound is trying to do, is still an unusual response. Considering the context of the Starks and their allies dropping like flies, I think it's reasonable that Arya's on the verge of losing it if she didn't just then.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Or if one firmly believes that acting irrationally instead of with a calm head will get you killed.
    Again, when someone does that much to your family, for most people, rationality goes out the window. Especially in a fight. And Oberyn was unstable to begin with (that being The Mountain/Tywin Lannister's fault as well).

Didn't catch the first broad cast. Saw the replay.

And there goes Mole's Town. More food for the Thenns.

Can't trust the Boltons. Not at all. Ramsey getting a promotion to full Bolton is cool I guess. Hard to not retake Winterfell, but no way they can rebuild that before winter comes. On the other hand, winter has been coming. For a long time. And it's still not here.

So Sansa gone Black Queen Jean Grey style? First the lies, and then the raven queen looking thing.

Arya laughing makes total sense. Her timing is terrible as usual.

Dany making another mistake. She can't see beyond certain things. Jorah made mistakes, but he's also helped her so much. Rash decision makes sense, since it's served her well before, but I guess now it's balancing out.

Oberyn certainly died spectacularly. Just couldn't finish it until he got his satisfaction.

BANNED

Saw the replay...

Gutted. Damn it, Oberyn. Also, I hope hell is as uncomfortable as possible for The Mountain.

BANNED

Again, when someone does that much to your family, for most people, rationality goes out the window. Especially in a fight. And Oberyn was unstable to begin with (that being The Mountain/Tywin Lannister's fault as well).
    Lets say if I were in Oberyn's situation and I had the chance to kill the guy who raped and murdered my sister. For one I wouldn't be talking. I sure as heck wouldn't toy around with The Mountain. I'd take every chance possible to kill the guy. I'd keep stabbing him until the guy is no longer breathing and give him no opportunity to get a second wind and fight back.

For a guy that was supposed to be furious against the guy he's supposed to take his revenge out on he spent the majority of the fight fooling around with him and left himself open in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Lets say if I were in Oberyn's situation and I had the chance to kill the guy who raped and murdered my sister. For one I wouldn't be talking. I sure as heck wouldn't toy around with The Mountain. I'd take every chance possible to kill the guy. I'd keep stabbing him until the guy is no longer breathing and give him no opportunity to get a second wind and fight back.

For a guy that was supposed to be furious against the guy he's supposed to take his revenge out on he spent the majority of the fight fooling around with him and left himself open in the process.
    But that's just you. This is a guy who spent decades dreaming of how he'd kill the Mountain. And more importantly, a guy who has killed people in the past. People he's hated far less than The Mountain. Just death wasn't enough. He wanted to humiliate him, force him to admit guilt, emasculate him before killing him.

And he paid for that. Revenge is a cruel mistress. Even when it's done just right, it transforms you and leaves you unsatisfied. But usually, it's your undoing.

But fooling around? Besides the beginning, the only time he "fooled around" was the end. The rest was just fighting. I mean, "one mistake is enough" is valid. "Fooling around the majority of the time" isn't so much when he only got the upper hand by the near end.
    Last edited by Double 0; 06-01-2014 at 10:25 PM.

People understand the Mountain wasn't Oberyn's only target, right? He's said it in practically every episode he's been in that he wants the one behind the order (Tywin). He even said it mid-fight. Killing the Mountain wasn't an option, not until he got a confession. You can't really complain about him not going for the killing stroke.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    People understand the Mountain wasn't Oberyn's only target, right? He's said it in practically every episode he's been in that he wants the one behind the order (Tywin). He even said it mid-fight. Killing the Mountain wasn't an option, not until he got a confession. You can't really complain about him not going for the killing stroke.
    Thank you...I was just about to post something similar.

Also, spoilers:
    don't worry folks, Oberyn actually did kill the Mountain....but it won't be nearly as merciful as the one the Mountain gave him.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 06-01-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: [spoil][/spoil] tags

Quote Originally Posted by byc View Post

Dany making another mistake. She can't see beyond certain things. Jorah made mistakes, but he's also helped her so much. Rash decision makes sense, since it's served her well before, but I guess now it's balancing out.

Dany's response was understandable. Jorah was her "most trusted advisor"......Then she finds out he was originally a spy for the people who killed off her family and left her in exile. It's hard to trust someone when such information is revealed, plus she was somewhat angered by the info.

But fooling around? Besides the beginning, the only time he "fooled around" was the end. The rest was just fighting. I mean, "one mistake is enough" is valid. "Fooling around the majority of the time" isn't so much when he only got the upper hand by the near end.

I just re-watched the fight......Oberyn was toying with Gregor the majority of the fight. Obviously, he didn't intend to get knocked down a few times, but he was showboating and playing matador to the bull. There were a few instances where he could have gone for a lethal blow, such as when he knocked Gregor's helmet off and had Gregor's back turned to him for at least several seconds. He could have speared Gregor in the back of the head, but he let Gregor gain his wits so Oberyn could toy with him some more.

So people saying Oberyn was stupid for not finishing Gregor at the end, instead of demanding a confession....He was using similar tactics during almost the entire fight.

BANNED

Someone gets it. Oberyn wasn't messing around. He wanted a confession as to who gave the order to kill his family.
    Too bad he died. I liked the character. I hope this isn't the end of Tyrion as well. I guess the execution not being the end of the episode provides a small measure of hope.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I never read the books but I saw that ending coming a mile away. Should I be worried about that? Will it become easier to predict from here on out.