Page 19 of 555 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119519 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

BANNED

also the fight in the books is a lot shorter...its barely a contest

Sean got it and everyone echoed it. He wanted Tywin. I don't really think they changed things in the Vale that much. she still covered for Baelish in the books just in a different way. After her speech with Baelish in private I half expected her to throw her self at him right then and there.

as for why they call him the red viper of dorn. that comes later.

BANNED

Those screams... those goddamn screams as his eyes gets pushed into his skull and those monstrous fingers bore through his eye-sockets to crush his skull.

I have a pretty strong stomach, but that just made me shiver.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    as for why they call him the red viper of dorn. that comes later.
    spoilers:
    He had the name from a previous fight... which used similar tactics. I think it would have been helpful to address that, in the show it appears the Mountain was just outfought and succumbs to ordinary wounds. I mean.. he was in the books as well but there is more to it than that.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 06-02-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    Those screams... those goddamn screams as his eyes gets pushed into his skull and those monstrous fingers bore through his eye-sockets to crush his skull.

I have a pretty strong stomach, but that just made me shiver.
    That was one of the most brutal fights I've seen, it was nearly as bad as the fist fight from Deadwood.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

I love the description that someone posted on Reddit, in that this was basically a reverse boss fight -- in the vast majority of fiction, the hero gets beaten down, the villain arrogantly delivers his monologue, and the hero gets the opening to turn the tables and end the fight. Nope, let's switch the roles here!

Inverting tropes is part-and-parcel for this show, but it only helped further the other huge changes we got in this episode. Ramsay is now "legitimate," Sansa can become a power player, and even lil' adorable Arya -- I can't even.

RIP Mr. Sofia Vergara

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I love the description that someone posted on Reddit, in that this was basically a reverse boss fight -- in the vast majority of fiction, the hero gets beaten down, the villain arrogantly delivers his monologue, and the hero gets the opening to turn the tables and end the fight. Nope, let's switch the roles here!

Inverting tropes is part-and-parcel for this show, but it only helped further the other huge changes we got in this episode. Ramsay is now "legitimate," Sansa can become a power player, and even lil' adorable Arya -- I can't even.

RIP Mr. Sofia Vergara
    Yes, absolutely love Gay Of Thrones and I am not a fan of "recap" shows

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    People understand the Mountain wasn't Oberyn's only target, right? He's said it in practically every episode he's been in that he wants the one behind the order (Tywin). He even said it mid-fight. Killing the Mountain wasn't an option, not until he got a confession. You can't really complain about him not going for the killing stroke.
    I can sure as Hell complain about how it played out, and I will. If he wants a confession, ok fine. But then before he starts ranting, either:

A. Disable the Mountain completely so that he cannot possibly fight back or even move.

or.

B. Still keep your distance you magnificently accented fool.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    He didn't get the full confession. Gregor admitted to killing Elia and her kids, but he didn't say who ordered him to do such (Tywin).

spoilers:
    I don't think it's been indicated in the show, but, in the books, Tywin ordered for Elia's children to be killed so as to kill off the Targaryen bloodline, but he didn't order for Elia's death. Gregor killed Elia by his own volition....We'll see if the TV show has it the same way, although I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it as somewhat of a mystery (With heavy leanings toward Tywin having given the full order).
    end of spoilers
    since Tywin denied any of it up until then, this is all they need.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    In the books there's a little bit more information that leads some readers to suspect an ulterior in the Clegane fight and how Oberyn went about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    I'm actually a bit disappointed that the reason he's known as the viper didn't come into play more in the show, and ultimately impact the fight. This was much more strightforward and "honest" I guess is the best word.
    i'm thinking they'll show that next week, since it's pretty important

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Yes, absolutely love Gay Of Thrones and I am not a fan of "recap" shows
    Yeah, it's gotten to the point where I've started calling the characters by their Gay of Thrones nicknames during the show

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I can sure as Hell complain about how it played out, and I will. If he wants a confession, ok fine. But then before he starts ranting, either:

A. Disable the Mountain completely so that he cannot possibly fight back or even move.

or.

B. Still keep your distance you magnificently accented fool.
    I still feel like that's more along the lines of Monday morning quarterbacking. No one denies that he got cocky, and any one of us can concoct a million scenarios on how Oberyon could have avoided his one lone mistake, but alas. It's funny, though, that Oberyn was one of the most progressive and deeply compelling characters on the show, but his dwelling and inability to overcome his past doomed him. You can have revenge or you can have justice, but you can't have both. Essentially, Oberyn's own character traits got himself killed.
    Last edited by Cyke; 06-02-2014 at 09:09 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I still feel like that's more along the lines of Monday morning quarterbacking. No one denies that he got cocky, and any one of us can concoct a million scenarios on how Oberyon could have avoided his one lone mistake, but alas. It's funny, though, that Oberyn was one of the most progressive and deeply compelling characters on the show, but his dwelling and inability to overcome his past doomed him. You can have revenge or you can have justice, but you can't have both.
    Tyrion said it best - If you've come looking for justice...you've come to the wrong place

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post

spoilers:
    He had the name from a previous fight... which used similar tactics. I think it would have been helpful to address that, in the show it appears the Mountain was just outfought and succumbs to ordinary wounds. I mean.. he was in the books as well but there is more to it than that.
    end of spoilers
    There was a quick scene before the fight that showed one of the Viper's attendants polishing a spear head. Or maybe he was applying something...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrHashasheen View Post
    In the books there's a little bit more information that leads some readers to suspect an ulterior in the Clegane fight and how Oberyn went about it.
    Details in spoiler caps?

Quote Originally Posted by macul View Post
    Or maybe he was applying something...
    Vicks VapoRub!

Quote Originally Posted by macul View Post
    There was a quick scene before the fight that showed one of the Viper's attendants polishing a spear head. Or maybe he was applying something...
    Ah, good eye. Totally missed that. (Unfortunately I was on baby duty last night making it easy to miss smaller details so I'm likely going to have to rewatch today after work before my wife and daughter get home.)
    Pull List: