Page 21 of 555 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121521 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by cadet View Post
    I had a feeling Sansa was going to turn around and save Littlefinger. I didn't expect Oberyn would get killed at the end. He was my favorite new character.

If by fan service people mean gratuitous HBO nudity this show has that in spades. Seeing unlikable characters punished and good ones rewarded. Not so much.
    This is what I meant by fanservice.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Theon was flayed, Joffrey died horribly, those raping deserters got what was coming to them, Bran used Hodor against Ramsay's friend, Arya's already a serial killer of minor villains.

What makes Game of Thrones great isn't that the villains always win, it is that no one is safe no matter which side they're on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Theon was flayed, Joffrey died horribly, those raping deserters got what was coming to them, Bran used Hodor against Ramsay's friend, Arya's already a serial killer of minor villains.

What makes Game of Thrones great isn't that the villains always win, it is that no one is safe no matter which side they're on.
    That and it takes every fantasy cliche and twist them.

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    That and it takes every fantasy cliche and twist them.
    I just like how it removes all the romanticism from a highly romanticized genre. Sure, it's got magic and dragons and princes... but they're all duplicitous and covered in blood, dirt, and pig ####.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Then I'm probably misusing the term. I mean giving the fans what they want (such as the noble characters winning, and "villains" getting their cumupence in a predictable manner.)
    Fanservice in comics and animé usually refers to boobs and similar.

This should help dull the pain:

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Theon's crime was trying to impress his father. He was a hostage of a house that was not his own. I'd say his "villainy" is overstated.

Joffrey's death had almost no connection to his crimes, if anything this is a case of bad meets evil.

But the men who stayed were butchered all the same.

Bran has the ability to forcefully take over the mind of a simple and typically peaceful man and cause him to act out of character in preservation of himself. Granted it wasn't done out of evil or malice, but there is a reason people fear wargs.

I don't recall if this happened in the show but Arya's murders haven't been limited only to "bad" people.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    This should help dull the pain:

LOL. That's awesome.
    Pull List:

BANNED

I just like how it removes all the romanticism from a highly romanticized genre. Sure, it's got magic and dragons and princes... but they're all duplicitous and covered in blood, dirt, and pig ####.
    Also the Dragons aren't friendly. They'd **** you up and burn you.

Theon's crime was trying to impress his father. He was a hostage of a house that was not his own. I'd say his "villainy" is overstated.

Joffrey's death had almost no connection to his crimes, if anything this is a case of bad meets evil.

Bran has the ability to forcefully take over the mind of a simple and typically peaceful man and cause him to act out of character in preservation of himself. Granted it wasn't done out of evil or malice, but there is a reason people fear wargs.

I don't recall if this happened in the show but Arya's murders haven't been limited only to "bad" people.
    actually bran is the first to be able to warg into the mind of a human. I don't remember if they have stated this in the series or not but in the book bran is unique. If I recall correctly.

thats debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    spoilers:
    Jesus....

Okay, first...it was nice to see Sansa do something besides play the role of a simpering fool. Yes that was necessary to stay alive in King's Landing but it nevertheless irritated beyond measure. But the way she told the truth with just the lightest touch of twist was masterful.

The Mole's Town stuff was ridiculous and wasteful of screen time.

And in the whole chickens coming home to roost, Jorah getting found out and the ice cold way he was dismissed was powerful in its own right. Speaking of time in Mereen, I'm with Grey Worm, Missandei sans clothing was a sight to behold. Damn that is a finely put together woman.

As for Arya's reaction to learning of her aunt's death, I totally got it.

And after a goofy though well performed scene with Tyrion and Jaime, we get a fight choreographed by the WWE.

Seriously? After all that build up, the fight between the Mountain and Oberyn was like watching a wrestling match with extra dialogue thrown in.

If you ever watched a wrestling match, you see the two men squaring off. Then one gets the advantage, but acts too much like a strutting popinjay, and the one at the disadvantage turns the tables and turns the agony of defeat into the thrill of victory.

And that's what you got in the trial by combat. Instead of focusing on his job as champion for Tyrion, Oberyn rants and raves about the Mountain killing his sister and her children. He gets the advantage and strikes a blow that seems to incapacitate the Mountain. But instead of finishing the job and killing the Mountain, he rants and raves some more. Then out of nowhere (much like the comeback of every Hulk Hogan match ever!), the Mountain makes a surprise attack, knocking Oberyn to the floor of the combat arena, and then while proclaiming the very things Oberyn wanted him to admit to, he first crushed his eyeballs and then LITERALLY made his head burst open, killing the so called Red Viper.

While it gave Tywin the ability to sentence Tyrion to death, the result of the match was just because Oberyn was a freaking moron. He deserved to die for not killing the Mountain when he had the chance.

Speaking of the Mountain, how damn strong is this guy supposed to be anyway? I mean, the force required for someone to make a human skull explode with just their bare hands and brute force must be astronomical.

Even though Oberyn lost, which I'm guessing was preordained for the TV series because it must've happened in the books, the total cliché way in which the fight unfolded prevents me from really being happy with the staging of the battle.

A fool and his brains are soon parted it would seem.
    end of spoilers

Oberyn was definitely a likeable character was totally sad to see him die. But come on guys its all very obvious.

1. He's not necessarily championing for Tyrion, but he sees a man the Lannisters have turned on and finds a way to exact his revenge in public, without worry of the people thinking him a murderer.

2. His first target is the Mountain who raped and killed his sister and her children.

3. He also wants to go after Cersei, but she's the Queen Regent he has to do something to turn the public against her. This is called Game of Thrones there is much politicking going on.

4. He disables the Mountain and wants him to publicly decry the Lannisters and admit that Tywin ordered the murder of his sister and her children. As far as he knows the Mountain is all but down I mean he's stabbed him a few times and slashed out his leg not to mention jabbing him in the gut, he does not want him to die until he admits his guilt and who commanded him to do so. Therefore shining negative light in public on the Lannisters who I presume he wants to kill all of (or at least Tywin and Cersei especially).

5. He definitely got careless, but he was mad, drank (idk how much didn't seem like much but he may have had more beforehand at least Tyrion was getting nervous about it), and honestly was pretty sure the Mountain was done for. He got tripped his mouth destroyed and his head popped. It sucks, but its not out of the realm of reason to see why he f'ed up.

Also on the factoid of the fight being WWE, I'm sure no one wants to watch a real fight. Usually short and less interesting. You just have to pretend its real like dragons and such and enjoy watching Oberyn spin that spear around and hop.

And the Dragon Queen's assistant had a fine butt for sure.

Arya is the best. She's going to be sick. I wonder if she knew how weird and crazy her aunt was which could add to the laughter over her death not to mention everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    thats debatable.
    spoilers:
    The guard whose throat she slit commited the major crime of being at the wrong place at the wrong time
    end of spoilers
    Pull List:

BANNED

It would be kinda fitting if the series ends with Ramsay Bolton on the iron throne.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    It would be kinda fitting if the series ends with Ramsay Bolton on the iron throne.
    Along with completely taking over King's Landing. Hail to the new Mad King.