Page 215 of 555 FirstFirst ... 115165205211212213214215216217218219225265315 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,225 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    Found this interactive Westeros map. It really helps sorting out all the different houses, names, and locations. I'm sure I'm not the first here to use it.

http://quartermaester.info/
    That's excellent, thanks!

Astonishing Member

Found this interactive Westeros map. It really helps sorting out all the different houses, names, and locations. I'm sure I'm not the first here to use it.

http://quartermaester.info/
    Thanks. It makes me wonder how Arya got from Braavos to Riverrun so quick while nursing a wound, not forgetting Varys' return trip to Dorne in a single episode. You can only suspend your belief so far.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Thanks. It makes me wonder how Arya got from Braavos to Riverrun so quick while nursing a wound, not forgetting Varys' return trip to Dorne in a single episode. You can only suspend your belief so far.
    Scenes are not told in the same time or the same order. If the story was told in a month by month point of time it likely went

Jan. Martel's are murdered in Dorne
    Jan. Sam goes home
    Jan. Sansa and Theon escape Ramsay

Feb. Jon is resurrected
    Feb. Arya gets her sight back
    Feb. Balon is pushed from the bridge

March. Sansa returns to the Wall
    March. Theon and Asha escape Iron Islands
    March. Arya is stabbed by the waif
    March. Ramsay kills his father, alligns with the Umbers, and gets Tommen
    March. Sam arrives at the citadel

April. Jamie and Bronn lay siege to the Riverlands
    April. Brienne escapes the Riverlands
    April. Jon and Sansa meet with Lady Mormont
    April. Osha is killed by Ramsay

May. Cersei blows up the Septon, Tommen dies, Cersi is crowned queen
    May. Dany ends up in the Dothraki sea

June. Battle of the Bastards occurs
    June. Arya kills the waif and leaves Bravos
    June. Dany kills the Dothraki leaders
    June. Tyrell's go to Dorne

July. The Hound's group is murdered by Lemoncloak
    July. Slavers seige Mereen
    July. Jon is declared King of the North

August. Greyjoys meet with Dany
    August. Arya kills Walder Frey

September. Dany leaves Mereen with her fleet

Brann's story could have taken place anywhere from before last season started to after this season ended

Astonishing Member

I'm going to assume that is your opinion of the storyline and not something that's actually stated on the show or by showrunners themselves and therefore will stick by my earlier assessment that Arya travelled thousands of miles in a very very short time. I ignored all those posts that joke about Vary's/LF's teleportation abilities because I had no reference. Looking at this map, I couldn't do that any more. It doesn't make me hate the show. It's just a flaw I can't ignore anymore about the show. In the first few seasons, I don't remember people getting from one place to the next so speedily because the books dictated so much of what we saw on screen, unless we're talking of LF since that seems to have been ongoing since the very beginning. The point is it's disconcerting. If I hadn't seen the map, I'd have been happy to live in ignorance of characters travelling at such speeds without today's real world technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    That's excellent, thanks!
    You're welcome. Every so often, I get inspired to Google GOT stuff. It has felt like an eon since I finished Book 5, and I have forgotten many plot points, names, etc.

Arya, Littlefinger, and Varys graduated with honors from the Jason Voorhees School of Teleportation

I personally don't mind and can overlook the gaps in logic regarding character travel. I think D & D have a tough task in presenting in the show certain recent plots chronologically given the way Books 4 & 5 were written (everything in 4 happens concurrently with everything in 5, or something like that).
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I'm going to assume that is your opinion of the storyline and not something that's actually stated on the show or by showrunners themselves and therefore will stick by my earlier assessment that Arya travelled thousands of miles in a very very short time. I ignored all those posts that joke about Vary's/LF's teleportation abilities because I had no reference. Looking at this map, I couldn't do that any more. It doesn't make me hate the show. It's just a flaw I can't ignore anymore about the show. In the first few seasons, I don't remember people getting from one place to the next so speedily because the books dictated so much of what we saw on screen, unless we're talking of LF since that seems to have been ongoing since the very beginning. The point is it's disconcerting. If I hadn't seen the map, I'd have been happy to live in ignorance of characters travelling at such speeds without today's real world technology.
    Illayro Mopatis went from Pentos to Kings Landing in I believe back to back episodes

Astonishing Member

You're welcome. Every so often, I get inspired to Google GOT stuff. It has felt like an eon since I finished Book 5, and I have forgotten many plot points, names, etc.

Arya, Littlefinger, and Varys graduated with honors from the Jason Voorhees School of Teleportation

I personally don't mind and can overlook the gaps in logic regarding character travel. I think D & D have a tough task in presenting in the show certain recent plots chronologically given the way Books 4 & 5 were written (everything in 4 happens concurrently with everything in 5, or something like that).
    Yeah, the last two season's have thrown "real time" travel to the wind. I don't expect it to change with the remaining episodes, they need to speed things up in order to end the story, compared to GRRM and his thousand-page turners still waiting to be published.

BANNED

the last two seasons not only have thrown away "real time" travel but also religion and line of succession and oaths.

It's so jarring.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Shows have always done the time compression thing to save time... Mulder and Scully get a lead in Venice and 30 seconds later they're in St. Mark's Square. Sam and Dean Winchester can drive to any point in the U.S. in the space of a single angsty conversation.

The confusion arises when several things are shown happening simultaneously in different places and the time frame doesn't match up... but as one of the above posts points out, many of the things that are shown at the same time didn't necessarily happen at the same time. As long as the events don't depend on each other, they can happen anytime.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I don't like that we likely have only 13-15 episodes left, but I think now the showrunners are serious about that. They wouldn't keep repeating themselves on that if that's not the plan they've more or less settled on.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yeah, the last two season's have thrown "real time" travel to the wind.
    It's a specific choice they've made to facilitate better story telling. http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/got-w...witter_vulture

I for one agree. Varys was a little jarring at the end of season 6, but I also don't need 4 episodes of Arya or Varys on a boat. I can make the logical assumption that there was some time elapsed.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It's a specific choice they've made to facilitate better story telling. http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/got-w...witter_vulture

I for one agree. Varys was a little jarring at the end of season 6, but I also don't need 4 episodes of Arya or Varys on a boat. I can make the logical assumption that there was some time elapsed.
    OMG same!.....I'm so tired of people whining about the time travel...ugh.

BANNED

I can whine about the lines of succession and oath breaking if you want. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    the last two seasons not only have thrown away "real time" travel but also religion and line of succession and oaths.

It's so jarring.
    In the end, those things only matter if people have the strength to enforce it. With all the chaos in Westeros, nobody's there to enforce those things.

Not sure why that's hard to grasp. It's like saying Robert Baratheon is still the usurper, and Dani should have been on the Throne 20+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I don't like that we likely have only 13-15 episodes left, but I think now the showrunners are serious about that. They wouldn't keep repeating themselves on that if that's not the plan they've more or less settled on.
    I have to assume with only loose notes and lack of actual material, they can't fill the episodes.

I don't expect the series to have resolved the Iron Throne by end of the series, or possibly just hinted at resolving like people talking about Jon and Dani marrying (although I also expect Jon and Dani dying one way or another by the end).