Page 3 of 555 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    There's no way that Westeros can be as big as the scale of that map claims, given how quickly the characters seem to be able to travel around.
    It's a bit of a necessity in tv. Occasional captions of "and then nothing of significance happened for about two months" twice per episode would be funny but out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's how the series is going to climax. A Song of Ice vs Fire.
    .. Id never thought of that. Makes sense.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

There's no way that Westeros can be as big as the scale of that map claims, given how quickly the characters seem to be able to travel around.
    I was laughing about how fast Ramsay's friend got to the Wall and managed to become a member of the Knight's Watch.

You have to assume that it wasn't that quick though. They obviously can't show his entire trek north. No one would watch that.

Well...

It took Robert and the entire royal entourage a month to travel from King's Landing to Winterfell.
    It took Catelyn Stark and Ser Rodrick an unknown amount of time to travel from Winterfell to King's Landing after the botched attempt on Bran's life.
    It didn't take that long for Yoten to ride from the inn where Tyrion was kidnapped by Catelyn down to King's Landing to let Ned know about what Cat did.

So I think Westros is not terribly huge.

Essos on the other hand...is ridiculous...

It took an unknown amount of time for Drogo, Dany, and the entire khalasar to travel from Pentos to Vaes Dothrak, keeping in mind that Vaes Dothrak appears to be at the eastern edge of the Dothraki Sea.
    It took an unknown amount of time for Dany and her khalasar to wander in the Red Wastes, mostly on foot.
    Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen are reached relatively quickly by foot by Dany's army, this is fine.

The GoT intro map is moved very quickly on the Essos side, I assume due to size. On the other hand, Westros has roads between the major settlements. Essos have less roads, none in the plains of the Dothraki Sea and the desert wastelands of the Red Wastes.

I remember reading an interview with George RR Martin where he said Westeros was about the same size as South America (I'm guessing from the wall to the south as who knows how far beyond the wall reaches)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I was laughing about how fast Ramsay's friend got to the Wall and managed to become a member of the Knight's Watch.

You have to assume that it wasn't that quick though. They obviously can't show his entire trek north. No one would watch that.
    Well, he wasn't a member. He was a recruit who'd come in with the latest batch of convi, eh, volunteers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byc View Post
    Well...

It took Robert and the entire royal entourage a month to travel from King's Landing to Winterfell.
    It took Catelyn Stark and Ser Rodrick an unknown amount of time to travel from Winterfell to King's Landing after the botched attempt on Bran's life.
    It didn't take that long for Yoten to ride from the inn where Tyrion was kidnapped by Catelyn down to King's Landing to let Ned know about what Cat did.

So I think Westros is not terribly huge.
    Well, Westeros is huge.
    It's just the travel time gets downplayed in tv series and movies.
    In Lord Of The Rings it takes like frever and a day just to get to Bree, in the movie they basically seem to get to Rivendell in a day or three.

One needs to more economic with what is shown. If nothing of any great importance happens underway, the journey isn't shown, and characters seem to appear at their destination almost instantaneous.
    We only get to see the characters when stuff happens. We don't get to see the four months when nothing major happens in King's Landing. Years have passed since the beginning of the series, and it is incredibly hard to make that actually seem like years. I can't think of it actually having been one succesfully on tv.

The flipside of this is of course that when a lot of interesting stuff happens underway, like has happened to Daeny, travel takes forever and a day.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    Honestly Dany is one of those characters where she'd be decent in any work of fantasy fiction other than Game of Thrones since, to me, she seems out of place when compared to the rest. If you take out the sex scenes then her arc would be more suitable as a Disney movie.
    I don't remember crucifixions, pouring melted gold down a person's head and Siege warfare in Snow white......

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hatbar View Post
    Dany's story is the dullest of the lot. I much prefer the scheming at Kings Landing and the spooky goings on in the North.
    I find Bran's storyline to be the least interesting... followed closely by Stannis'.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    I don't remember crucifixions, pouring melted gold down a person's head and Siege warfare in Snow white......
    You haven't seen ''Walt Disney's personal cut'', then.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    What's taking these White Walkers such a long time to get to the Wall?
    They are either waiting for winter to fully come or they are trying to figure out how to bring the wall down, or both. Its not talk about in the show but the Wall has very strong magic in it that prevents the White Walkers from passing through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Which version?

In the original version it wasn't her step mother that wanted her dead, it was her real mother. It was later changed because even the people in Europe at that time thought that was too hardcore.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FlashEarthOne View Post
    I find Bran's storyline to be the least interesting... followed closely by Stannis'.
    THIS THIS THIS. A Thousand Times this! But I do find myself more interested in Stannis and the Red Woman this season than I did earlier seasons. I honestly had no clue what was up with his story-line for quite awhile, and have never found myself even a bit enamored during scenes with wtv his right hand guy is called...the smuggler. I liked the fourth guy in line whose name I no longer recall a lot more than any scenes involving those two. After I thought Cleon had dispatched the kids,I was curious to see who would get the new focus. Unfortunately Bran is still around and Daenerys scenes seem shorter as a result.

I liked the female wilding that was with Bran though. A shame she's gone.

This might be longest series of episodes where the intro didn't change. Even in season 1, the Eyrie showed up on the map by episode 5.

BANNED

Tommen looks completely out of place when compared to the rest of his family. He's probably the least morally corrupt of the lot