Page 304 of 555 FirstFirst ... 204254294300301302303304305306307308314354404 ... LastLast
Results 4,546 to 4,560 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    We've gotten into Littlefinger's head and learned a lot more about his motives and philosophy than we ever did with Stannis. But he never really has been significant to the plot, except in bringing the Knights of the Vale to defeat the Boltons and save Jon.

He might miscalculate and end up with Arya's dagger in his gut by next week, but I would be disappointed in that case.
    We learned a lot about Stannis, got a heavy dose of him for someone is no longer a player. His motives and philosophy were just very different than Petyr's and not so interesting. Petyr has been significant since at least he put the knife to Ned's throat. He co-killed Joffrey, Jon Arryn, etc. That's plot enough kind of stuff. That's Petyr's world, being quietly significant.

I absolutely don't want Petyr to die and I will be disappointed if he does. But I absolutely don't see why it's clear he won't die this weekend when you consider Stannis's arc.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    From an article:

Funny tweet:

If Dany is the Breaker of Chains, then I guess Night King is the Bringer of Chains.
    The Night King probably sacrificed a ton of wights to get the chains on the dragon in the first place. He's never seemed to care about losing them before.

This article too sees that LF's death is perhaps likely (I don't necessarily agree with 90%):
    Littlefinger: 90%

If Littlefinger doesn’t die in the finale, then story structure has lost all meaning. The only reason for the interminable storyline about Arya and Sansa manipulating each other is to bring them together in the end over the corpse of Littlefinger. More importantly, Littlefinger’s relevance to the actual story has petered out—he’s basically just Sansa’s shoulder demon now. He’s not a major point-of-view character in the books and, in the show, they’ve been ramping up to comeuppance for him.

The only thing holding Littlefinger back from death is if part of this set-up is if Arya is the one who kills Littlefinger and she dies in the process. The show has been setting Arya up as incredibly irrational and sociopathic, and her reconciliation with her sister could come either by killing Littlefinger or dying in the attempt. But Arya’s such an important POV character, it’s hard to see her death coming next week.
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-character...one-1798304021
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-22-2017 at 10:08 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Oh no, Tyrion knows Cersei far better than Sansa. Far far better. Varys too.
    as a family member but not as a ruler. And even then, we have been shown that his thinking against them isnt the best since he got outplayed when he sent people to the rock and it was empty.

The show never even tried to postulate that you can't specifically attack KL or kill Cersei via assassin/targeted strike because they need every little solitary soul there for this war (I wish they might have tried to throw that point in, instead of vague unclear "queen of the ashes" morality stuff).
    Sending in an assassin is not going to accomplish anything. It just means they have to deal with another person that will step up.

Do remember that Dany needs the backing of all the families and kingdoms to be declared the actual ruler. You cant just kill some one and step in. This is the issue that Jon and Sansa are dealing with in the north.

So now, you sit and wonder how very poor track record Cersei could be trusted even to properly smoothly cooperate in this dire no-mistakes no-ego no-games venture when it's not even clear she much values he own life anymore (which she told Jaime she does not and Tyrion said she only cared about her children, which are now dead).
    They dont need trust, they just need cooperation. Pretty sure the meeting will be, "Give us some of your armies and we wont attack you until that issue is dealt with. After that we can go back to our hostilities."

This is not about becoming friends, this is about coming together for a cause that hopefully she agrees being more important now. And from the preview we see that both are doing things to show that this isnt some sort of trap. spoilers:
    It looks like the C-rock is going back to Lanister hands while the Unsullied are going to be allowed to go back to Danny unhurt.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    as a family member but not as a ruler.
    Tyrion was Hand in S2 all year with Cersei as Queen Regent to Joffrey. This is on top of all of his years of observing her as Queen with Robert, etc.

Do remember that Dany needs the backing of all the families and kingdoms to be declared the actual ruler.
    I remember Drogon making a very fiery argument to Lannister and Tarly troops about why they should agree Dany is their ruler.

They dont need trust, they just need cooperation.
    Those may not be so mutually exclusive in all cases, with all individuals.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-22-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Finally was able to watch the episode last night and loved it. It started off a little slow with Jon and others walking around the North beyond the wall (I had flashbacks to Frodo wandering around with the ring).

But then it got REALLY good fast and ended with a bang. I've heard other people say "I really didn't see the end coming, when the Night King brought the dragon back as one of the dead". Seriously? I knew as soon as he killed the dragon that he was going to bring him back. Are these people not paying attention? They just showed not more than a half hour earlier an undead bear attack Jon and the others.

Anyhow, it's sad that next week is the season finale already, but with it being extra long, I'm hoping a lot gets show. I'm guessing the wall comes down rather easily and they start pouring through the land only to find the army of the North, Danny, her army, her dragons and Cersei's army waiting for them for one heck of a battle, which will play out next season.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I've heard other people say "I really didn't see the end coming, when the Night King brought the dragon back as one of the dead".
    I literally saw it coming, because one of my Facebook friends used the closeup of Viserion's blue eye as his profile picture. This was around Wednesday.

I literally saw it coming, because one of my Facebook friends used the closeup of Viserion's blue eye as his profile picture. This was around Wednesday.
    That's shady of him. I would have unfriended that "Facebook friend" if they were not a IRL actual friend.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-22-2017 at 01:56 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

ACK! I would have been super ticked if I were you!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Critical article not yet posted:
    Game of Thrones has become a terrible show
    The ["Beyond the Wall"] mission posed extraordinary risks for no discernible rewards — more on that here. That the plan originated with Tyrion flies in the face of what we know of his character: Either he's an idiot who doesn't understand his own sister or he's an even worse military strategist than we thought. There appeared to be no real plan in place — this was bad ...

The explanation for these holes is that there is no explanation; the people making this show literally just don't care about those details anymore.

Really good multi-prong attack article referenced on the ridiculous mission: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/...es-eastwatch/#!.....excerpt: "why does anyone think LET’S KIDNAP A ZOMBIE is a plan?! Like, what does that even look like? Putting aside the mechanics of transporting one, they mainly hang out in groups of ten thousand. How do you capture one of them? More to the point, since they will surely manufacture a convoluted plan: WHY WOULD IT SEEM RATIONAL TO TRY?"
    I don't know what I really think of this season yet, but...I definitely wonder if I will look back poorly on all this.

I don't know if I will ever really accept that scene in Dragonstone with Tyrion offering this plan and everyone signing off on it, supposedly learned-from-their-mistakes smart people. I hope that doesn't end up some shark jumping moment for me, but....I don't know. I couldn't wrap my head around it when I first saw it and I....I don't know.

Maybe Tyrion will confess he knew the plan sucked but did it out of concern for the Lannisters. Then that at least just leaves Jon looking like an overzealous idiot. Dany and Varys and everyone I can then make some excuses for.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-22-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I still find the show entertaining. The actors are great, the dialogue is still excellent, the spectacle is spectacular, and probably 90% of it still makes sense. Capturing a wight seems like a harebrained scheme, but from Jon's perspective... the world absolutely HAS to unite to face this threat, which is coming for us RIGHT NOW, and hardly anybody south of Winterfell even believes it exists. So... what better plan is there?

The bizarre truncations of time are honestly what I find the most grating. I'm trying to "just go with it," but it's not really working for me. To me, saying "we're near the end of the story so we have to hit fast-forward a bit" is like saying "we're near the end of the story so we have to make our hero invincible." You don't get to short-circuit the show's internal reality just because it's convenient.

Still, the show is still #2 on my all-time favorite TV series list.

Critical article not yet posted:
    Game of Thrones has become a terrible show

I don't know what I really think of this season yet, but...I definitely wonder if I will look back poorly on all this.

I don't know if I will ever really accept that scene in Dragonstone with Tyrion offering this plan and everyone signing off on it, supposedly learned-from-their-mistakes smart people. I hope that doesn't end up some shark jumping moment for me, but....I don't know. I couldn't wrap my head around it when I first saw it and I....I don't know.

Maybe Tyrion will confess he knew the plan sucked but did it out of concern for the Lannisters.
    I buy it as a desperate plan.

For most people, the ONLY way they will believe in the Nighy King and the Walkers is to believe it for themselves. And it's not like in this eras Jon can simply take selfies of himself with the Night King for Facebook.

The people of the North might give him the benefit of the doubt but only barely. And everyone else mostly thinks it sounds crazy, and you can't entirely blame them.

Even for people like Tyrion and Dany who seem to like Jon, they are understandably not willing to make his accusations of Walkers a priority over the known theat of Cersi.

The ONLY way to convince people of the Walkers is for them to see them. It's a difficult plan but really what else can Jon do?

why does anyone think let’s kidnap a zombie is a plan?!
    hahahahahahahah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's a difficult plan but really what else can Jon do?
    Wasn't it a only reasonably viewable beforehand as a snowball's chance in seven hells level plan? And. . .for Cersei, of all the people in Westeros. Maybe I should just try to ignore that part and focus on that Jon would have first convinced Dany more of the urgency. I might have to rewrite the scene in my head a little to swallow it all, create some head canon about Tyrion's motives and etc.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-22-2017 at 03:25 PM.

All right. Cut the $#!t. The Lord of the Light is a no show. I want a to see him or her or it. I want to see some Old Testament "Wrath of God"-type stuff. The seas boiling, fire and brimstone falling from the sky ...
    forty years of darkness, earthquakes, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!