Page 366 of 555 FirstFirst ... 266316356362363364365366367368369370376416466 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,490 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I think it could potentially end up a shame if B&W and GRRM end up doing such very different takes or paths on fire wights. In a macro world appreciating sense and thematically, it could end up a big deal that the showrunners chose to omit or downplay the fire zombies and their evils/consequences, which thus could be important to thinking about the relative morality or meaning of White Walkers/Others and the overall themes of the show/books.
    Good point. But I don't mind it. Got as a book is more fantasy, the show is more realistic and they avoid most of the supernatural element and keep it as a mystery like real life. In the books all the Stark kids warg into their direwolf, on the show, only Bran does it. And in the books I read somewhere that Jon's ressurection will be tied to Ghost whereas he warged into him upon dying and he is stuck into him. On the show it was left to the imagination. Maybe it's the Lord of Light, maybe not, cause The Red Witch said she had lost her faith.

Thematically also, it's too difficult to do on a tv show and the books are on another level and thought out by one guy for decades carefully planning what things means, where they are going. I'm afraid things has gone too much apart already between the books and show.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    I'm afraid things has gone too much apart already between the books and show.
    See, that's where I disagree. Many changes, some more significant than others, but none that really feel quite like the level of deviation I suggest could maybe possibly happen between the books and show over the fire wights. If fire zombies and their changed natures start to take a White Walker/Other level of significance in the books, greatly triggering big events and the end of the story and death of characters, then that...would be a shame perhaps because the show does keep to the broader strokes of the books.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 04-27-2018 at 07:15 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

See, that's where I disagree. Many changes, some more significant than others, but none that really feel quite like the level of deviation I suggest could maybe possibly happen between the books and show over the fire wights. If fire zombies and their changed natures start to take a White Walker/Other level of significance in the books, greatly triggering big events and the end of the story and death of characters, then that...would be a shame perhaps because the show does keep to the broader strokes of the books.
    But I mean the TV show doesn't have half the depth of the books. GRRM tought about all of this for a long time, he covered all the bases, he filled every pages with meaning. The TV show is great but at this point it's mostly spectacles and they have problems following their own logic. "The North Remembers", yea? remember what.
    Last edited by Da Boat; 04-28-2018 at 09:28 PM.

But I mean the TV show doesn't have half the depth of the books. GRRM tought about all of this for a long time, he covered all the bases, he filled every pages with meaning. The TV show is great but at this point it's mostly spectacles and they have problems following their own logic. "The Night Remembers", yea? remember what.

But I mean the TV show doesn't have half the depth of the books. GRRM tought about all of this for a long time, he covered all the bases, he filled every pages with meaning. The TV show is great but at this point it's mostly spectacles and they have problems following their own logic. "The North Remembers", yea? remember what.
    The North remembers that Jon Snow avenged the Red Wedding...when really, according to the show storylines, Arya and Tyrion (to the extent that he killed his father) avenged the perpetrators of the Red Wedding. Hell, you could even say Ramsay did his own part in this by murdering his father, who dealt the fatal blow to King Robb.

I agree with you, the show has reduced its intellectual capabilities for the sake of cheap thrills and the unnecessary drama created by B&W's decision to keep Cersei around for as long as possible. There's no way Dany can or should lose as badly as she did throughout Season 7. In the show universe, Lannister soldiers seem to be infinite whereas in the books they have been reduced significantly following the War of the Five Kings.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

"The North Remembers", yea? remember what.
    i have no idea why D&D dropped this angle. If i had to guess it was because they were in a hurry to be done with the series. That's the REAL issue with the show's later seasons, D&D was just over it and was sloppily rushing things (like Dorne, the Greyjoys, and the Reeds).
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 05-02-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    In the show universe, Lannister soldiers seem to be infinite whereas in the books they have been reduced significantly following the War of the Five Kings.
    That's just TV show logic for the sake of conflict. For example look at Negan from The Walking Dead and his endless supply of goons. But yeah it is annoying, just like Euron's magic teleporting fleet.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 05-02-2018 at 10:00 PM.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    i have no idea why D&D dropped this angle. If i had to guess it was because they were in a hurry to be done with the series. That's the REAL issue with the show's later seasons, D&D was just over it and was sloppily rushing things (like Dorne, the Greyjoys, and the Reeds).
    If those things had been properly adapted we would have at least 2 extra full seasons left. But like you said the show runners wanted out.

So, who's excited that GRRM is finally giving us the long-awaited .... FIRE & BLOOD this year, instead of THE WINDS OF WINTER?

Seriously, George, wtf man?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Yeah... "Sorry about Winds of Winter, I was busy writing a different thousand-page novel instead."

He needs to get WoW out and then turn his notes for the last book over to a collaborator.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So, who's excited that GRRM is finally giving us the long-awaited .... FIRE & BLOOD this year, instead of THE WINDS OF WINTER?
    I mean, I am excited for it, but still hate that GRRM dared finish it instead of focusing on WoW.

One thing I like about GRRM's history supplements is that, kinda like real history, you never know just how much truth you're getting. The maesters contradict on certain things and point out when they're unsure of something. I hope F&B doesn't take all the mystery out of the Targaryen family history.

I often enjoy the mystique of the mysteries more than knowing the truth. Some of my biggest criticisms of the show are showing too much of what was better left unseen and left to one's imagination. You answer what you need to answer, but you needn't show every little thing and face to do so. Rhaegar is a good example. The battle at the Tower of Joy (I would have maybe shown it, but a lot less of it, snippets and cuts of it).

In other news...

In an interview with Vanity Fair that was published on Wednesday, Emilia Clarke seemed to hint that Daenerys Targaryen’s last scene will almost certainly be controversial. “It f—ed me up,” she said of shooting her character’s final on-screen moments. “Knowing that is going to be a lasting flavor in someone’s mouth of what Daenerys is . . .”
    http://time.com/5288844/game-of-thro...s-final-scene/

Interesting and seemingly dark comment by Emilia. That she appears to interpret Dany's last scene/scenes as a some judgment upon Dany's character. Not that I should find that so surprising I guess, Dany's a big character and their biggest scenes are often used for character judgment, but this goes a good way toward confirming that Dany will be used to make some big statement on something and maybe possibly it is something of a darker or controversial or subversive nature.

It maybe suggests to me that Dany's last screen scenes are more about what she does (murdering/betraying/marrying/ruling/etc) rather than what is done to her (like being killed). But a big decision by her could be followed right up with her death, so that might not be true.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-24-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

She might fall victim to the family curse, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    She might fall victim to the family curse, after all.
    Could be. She seems aware and attuned to that curse though, so...I think it might irk fans if she fell into that without enough explanation and set up. (But she'd probably not be the first Targaryen that was well aware of the perception and curse/tendency and still fell prey to it)

That news story will likely be one of the last news stories in the loose ballpark of a spoiler (but it's not one) that I allow myself to read about S8.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-24-2018 at 11:26 AM.

I mean, I am excited for it, but still hate that GRRM dared finish it instead of focusing on WoW.

One thing I like about GRRM's history supplements is that, kinda like real history, you never know just how much truth you're getting. The maesters contradict on certain things and point out when they're unsure of something. I hope F&B doesn't take all the mystery out of the Targaryen family history.

I often enjoy the mystique of the mysteries more than knowing the truth. Some of my biggest criticisms of the show are showing too much of what was better left unseen and left to one's imagination. You answer what you need to answer, but you needn't show every little thing and face to do so. Rhaegar is a good example. The battle at the Tower of Joy (I would have maybe shown it, but a lot less of it, snippets and cuts of it).
    Eh, i'm flexible i enjoy things staying a mystery but i don't mind answers too. I think for a low fantasy setting some mythology should be confirmed to some extent.

Extraordinary Member

The show was never going to be able to do that though and I think fans had unrealistic expectations. By the 2nd season they had to cut and trim things, because quite frankly as good as the books are they are bloated to hell because Martin cares more about world building and sprinkling little developments in that than a concise narrative. It's just impossible to do that. The 2nd book should have been 2 seasons, the third was two seasons and didn't get everything, they tried to condense the narrative monstrosity of books 4 and 5 into one season because those are just a mess. If you did everything Martin's way the series would take would take over 12 seasons. That wasn't happening.