Page 367 of 555 FirstFirst ... 267317357363364365366367368369370371377417467 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,505 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So, who's excited that GRRM is finally giving us the long-awaited .... FIRE & BLOOD this year, instead of THE WINDS OF WINTER?

Seriously, George, wtf man?
    Not excited at all. Tbh I'm kind of over the whole thing. And I don't really care for the whole "GRRM is not your bitch" meme. I'm pretty much at the point where once the series is finished I'm not going to care enough to go back and read the follow up in the novels. If he finishes Winds sometime next year and Dream maybe 2 years after that, then yeah fine I'll check it out. But the reality is, it took him the length of GOT to finish Winds if he even does, so the likelyhood that the final book is finished anytime in the next 7 years is a pipe dream. Unless he surprises us and finishes and the wait was because he actually finished both books.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The show was never going to be able to do that though and I think fans had unrealistic expectations. By the 2nd season they had to cut and trim things, because quite frankly as good as the books are they are bloated to hell because Martin cares more about world building and sprinkling little developments in that than a concise narrative.
    I can be accuracy stickler sometimes on some or many works, but I do generally broadly support the GoT show streamlining and condensing the books a bit. But not all trims and cuts are equal. Many or most in the show are probably pretty defensible. Some either aren't or it remains to be seen once GRRM actually finishes the books (like Stannis, Stoneheart, etc, etc).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-29-2018 at 06:22 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I can be accuracy stickler sometimes on some or many works, but I do generally broadly support the show streamlining and condensing the books a bit. But not all trims and cuts are equal. Many or most in the show are probably pretty defensible. Some either aren't or it remains to be seen once GRRM finishes the books (like Stannis, Stoneheart, etc, etc).
    The problem with Stoneheart, she was introduced in 2000. At 2018. This far she’s had two genes in the books.

-her debut in Storm
    -her interaction with Brienne

For posterity, the optimal time to debut her was the end of season 4. So you are going to bring back pivotal character in a major reveal and do nothing with it for 3 season?

Also the books are set up for Stannis to meet a similar fate

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

If I'd read the books, I'd probably hate the show. I can't enjoy shows like Preacher or American Gods because I loved the original source material too much, and the changes would just drive me crazy. I realize some changes are necessary because different media have different storytelling needs, but in many cases there's so little similarity than I feel like I was tricked into watching it because of a few familiar names.

In my case, ignorance of the original material is bliss. The Lord of the Rings trilogies and the Harry Potter movies are the only recent examples I can think of where I read the books beforehand and still loved the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    If I'd read the books, I'd probably hate the show. I can't enjoy shows like Preacher or American Gods because I loved the original source material too much, and the changes would just drive me crazy. I realize some changes are necessary because different media have different storytelling needs, but in many cases there's so little similarity than I feel like I was tricked into watching it because of a few familiar names.

In my case, ignorance of the original material is bliss. The Lord of the Rings trilogies and the Harry Potter movies are the only recent examples I can think of where I read the books beforehand and still loved the movies.
    Movies really dropped the ball with Dobbie though. In the books after Chamber of Secrets, he's a reoccurring character that ends up inspiring Hermione to become an Elf activist. In the films, he vanishes after the second film to the last two, and somehow Ron and Hermione know him, despite having never met him.

And Tolkien's son hated the portrayal of Faramir in the movies.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Movies really dropped the ball with Dobbie though. In the books after Chamber of Secrets, he's a reoccurring character that ends up inspiring Hermione to become an Elf activist. In the films, he vanishes after the second film to the last two, and somehow Ron and Hermione know him, despite having never met him.
    Dunno how well the elf activist subplot would have worked in the movies. It was useful in the books for establishing Hermione as a strong-willed woman with passionate convictions (and a future Minister of Magic) but that was covered in other ways in the movies.

I'm kind of surprised Dobbie wasn't used more, though, considering that he was a fan favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    And Tolkien's son hated the portrayal of Faramir in the movies.
    Tolkien's son hated everything to do with any kind of adaptation of his father's works. I don't know if he genuinely believed the movies should have been word-for-word transcriptions of the books, or if he was just bitter because his dad sold all the rights away in the 60's and he didn't make any money off the movies.

I cringe at what he must think about this Amazon series coming up. On that one, I agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Dunno how well the elf activist subplot would have worked in the movies. It was useful in the books for establishing Hermione as a strong-willed woman with passionate convictions (and a future Minister of Magic) but that was covered in other ways in the movies.

I'm kind of surprised Dobbie wasn't used more, though, considering that he was a fan favorite.

Tolkien's son hated everything to do with any kind of adaptation of his father's works. I don't know if he genuinely believed the movies should have been word-for-word transcriptions of the books, or if he was just bitter because his dad sold all the rights away in the 60's and he didn't make any money off the movies.

I cringe at what he must think about this Amazon series coming up. On that one, I agree with him.
    Well, film version of Faramir was pretty different from book, I will say that. Book version was very different from Boromir (reluctant warrior whom would rather enjoy the peaceful life, whereas Boromir was the born warrior), while film version was only slightly different from Boromir.

I don't know if everyone knew this but Hannah Waddingham (Septa Unella) did a Game of Thrones type commercial for SODASTREAM with Hafţór Júlíus Björnsson (The Mountain).

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    I don't know if everyone knew this but Hannah Waddingham (Septa Unella) did a Game of Thrones type commercial for SODASTREAM with Hafţór Júlíus Björnsson (The Mountain).

Yup, it's been all over Facebook

It's weird seeing Septa Unella's hair.

Amazing Member

Who does/doesn't know that Jeyne Pool is not Arya in the books? I have been told, and also read conflicting thoughts about this.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Who does/doesn't know that Jeyne Pool is not Arya in the books? I have been told, and also read conflicting thoughts about this.
    I believe that Boltons kept that secret very well hidden.The power of Roose Bolton as Warden of the North is based on 2 pillars. The support of the Iron Throne and the Lannisters and from the lie that Poole is Arya Stark,so her marriage with Ramsay gives a kind of legitimacy and continuity.Hell,the northern clans wouldn't follow Stannis if it wasn't liberating "Ned's girl".The irony is,exposing the lie would hurt both Boltons and Stannis.Boltons for not having the real Arya,hence losing a big part of legitimacy and weakening Ramsay's marriage and Stannis would lose much of his support in the North,if the whole march to Winterfell being for nothing.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Brasil Comicon

Can someone point me to a great recap of season 1 to 7? A detailed one. I want to refresh my memory before the final season premier.