Page 369 of 555 FirstFirst ... 269319359365366367368369370371372373379419469 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,535 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    i feel that Martin pretty much abandoned the series and he decided to take every penny from their rights.
    My guess? He's sick of GoT but can't drop it cause it's a seriously nice source of income but given the oppurtunity i'm sure he would write about something else.

But could he though? I mean, come on, he's not that fantastic as a writer, to put it nicely, so maybe he knows that he can't do anything else. Oh sure he would sell, at least at first, just thanks to his name. (as Rowling did)

But on the long run? No, he's just going to keep it up like that, finding more excuses to keep pushing back the release of the next book for some more years. Gotta keep the cow alive cause once GoT is done, he's done.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

The long night is coming... And the dead come with it!
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I don't know if GRRM has a contract with Bantam that requires him to finish the series, unless the Grim Reaper catches him first. Seems to me if he's truly sick of it, he should pick another writer, give him or her all his completed manuscript and his notes, and just take a cowriter credit and wash his hands of it.

Don't know if any other writer could make sense of his ten million plot threads and where they're all supposed to lead, though. Not sure he can himself.

Some ominous news... Benioff loves the Sopranos ending and thinks people who don't are "idiots":

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/10/enter...ing/index.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    My guess? He's sick of GoT but can't drop it cause it's a seriously nice source of income but given the oppurtunity i'm sure he would write about something else.

But could he though? I mean, come on, he's not that fantastic as a writer, to put it nicely, so maybe he knows that he can't do anything else. Oh sure he would sell, at least at first, just thanks to his name. (as Rowling did)

But on the long run? No, he's just going to keep it up like that, finding more excuses to keep pushing back the release of the next book for some more years. Gotta keep the cow alive cause once GoT is done, he's done.
    GRRM is a pretty amazing writer when he wants to be, the Song of Ice and Fire series stands head and shoulders above the rest of the unreadable dreck that populates the fantasy genre, and the first few books in the series were genuine page turners for me despite their length and complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I don't know if GRRM has a contract with Bantam that requires him to finish the series, unless the Grim Reaper catches him first. Seems to me if he's truly sick of it, he should pick another writer, give him or her all his completed manuscript and his notes, and just take a cowriter credit and wash his hands of it.

Don't know if any other writer could make sense of his ten million plot threads and where they're all supposed to lead, though. Not sure he can himself.

Some ominous news... Benioff loves the Sopranos ending and thinks people who don't are "idiots":

Brandon Sanderson often gets asked if he would finish Game of Thrones since he finished the Wheel of Time. He always says no which is probably a good thing since I don't think he could do the sex and violence parts very well given his mormon religion. He obviously writes violence into his books but does so straight forward rather than in the twisted and dark ways Martin tends to do.

If another author ever has to step in and finish it will almost certainly be either Daniel Abraham or Ty Franck or them collaborating together on it as James S.A. Corey which they write the Expanse series under. They are both friends with Martin and could viewed as his proteges. They even dedicated the most recent Expanse book, Tiamats Wrath, to Martin for all the help he's given their careers. Both have written fantasy as solo writers and the mass popularity of their Expanse books gives them the credibility to step in and finish.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post

To tell the truth, Martin is quite overrated as a writer and i wasn't thrilled with his work outside of ASOIF. As for ASOIF, the success of it was that a big part of it could be read as a medieval literature rather that a classic epic fantasy book,it has great characters(ironically,he writes great secondary characters) and the first books were unpredictable about the fate of some of A-List characters.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

I don't think we'll ever see the end of the book series. Martin has stated repeatedly that he will not allow another to complete the story. Martin himself is now like 70, it's been 8 years since his last published book in the series, and even then, he has only written about a third of the story he envisioned. The "middle part" is supposed to be a historical repeat of the Dance of Dragons with Dany vs. Aegon (with Jon likely thrown in somehow), and the last act would be the Ice Zombie Apocalypse. There is simply too much left to be written for Martin to realistically complete his story in what remains of his lifetime, given his horrible pacing history.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I don't think we'll ever see the end of the book series. Martin has stated repeatedly that he will not allow another to complete the story. Martin himself is now like 70, it's been 8 years since his last published book in the series, and even then, he has only written about a third of the story he envisioned. The "middle part" is supposed to be a historical repeat of the Dance of Dragons with Dany vs. Aegon (with Jon likely thrown in somehow), and the last act would be the Ice Zombie Apocalypse. There is simply too much left to be written for Martin to realistically complete his story in what remains of his lifetime, given his horrible pacing history.
    It's not just the pacing. If we imagine writing a narrative's sequence as vertical, Martin spends far too much time going horizontal. And his horizontal meandering only makes it harder for him to find the vertical path again.

With every novel he has made the ending farther away rather than closer. He let his own ability to tell historical depth kill his magnum opus - he suffocated his own story to death.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

OK, with just a few hours until Go Time, here are my bets on who lives (and where they end up) and who dies.

LIVES:

Tyrion Lannister - Lord Lannister and Hand of the King
    Jon Snow (Aegon Targaryen) - King long enough to legitimize Gendry Baratheon and abdicate in his favor
    Sansa Stark - Lady Stark, Warden of the North
    Jorah Mormont
    Samwell Tarly - Grand Maester to the King, and eventually Seneschal
    Varys - Master of Whisperers
    Brienne of Tarth - Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
    Bronn
    Missandei
    Tormund
    Sandor "The Hound" Clegane
    Podrick Payne
    Gilly
    Gendry - King
    Daario Naharis
    Meera Reed
    Yara Greyjoy - Lord of the Iron Islands, Master of Ships
    Hot Pie
    Edmure Tully - Lord of the Riverlands
    Lyanna Mormont

DEAD

Cersei Lannister
    Daenerys Targaryen
    Arya Stark [though she might survive]
    Jaime Lannister
    Theon Greyjoy
    Bran Stark
    Davos Seaworth
    Melisandre
    Grey Worm
    Qyburn
    Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane
    Beric Dondarrion [for good this time]
    Euron Greyjoy
    The Night King

Can't wait to see how hilariously wrong I am...

BANNED

I like that list. Davos is going to hurt, he's easily one of my favorite characters.

OK, with just a few hours until Go Time, here are my bets on who lives (and where they end up) and who dies.

LIVES:

Tyrion Lannister - Lord Lannister and Hand of the King
    Jon Snow (Aegon Targaryen) - King long enough to legitimize Gendry Baratheon and abdicate in his favor
    Sansa Stark - Lady Stark, Warden of the North
    Jorah Mormont
    Samwell Tarly - Grand Maester to the King, and eventually Seneschal
    Varys - Master of Whisperers
    Brienne of Tarth - Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
    Bronn
    Missandei
    Tormund
    Sandor "The Hound" Clegane
    Podrick Payne
    Gilly
    Gendry - King
    Daario Naharis
    Meera Reed
    Yara Greyjoy - Lord of the Iron Islands, Master of Ships
    Hot Pie
    Edmure Tully - Lord of the Riverlands
    Lyanna Mormont

DEAD

Cersei Lannister
    Daenerys Targaryen
    Arya Stark [though she might survive]
    Jaime Lannister
    Theon Greyjoy
    Bran Stark
    Davos Seaworth
    Melisandre
    Grey Worm
    Qyburn
    Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane
    Beric Dondarrion [for good this time]
    Euron Greyjoy
    The Night King

Can't wait to see how hilariously wrong I am...
    I feel Like Jorahs only alive to save Danni. Hes gonna die protecting her and then iono I flip flop on if her or John Snow dies. But for Gentry to end up on the throne yea I think Snow living is way more likely as Danni actually want to rule. Maybe they both bite it also dont think the Hound gonna make it. Hes gonna put his brother down for good and then die saving Arya or Sansa I think. THOUGH Arya would be way more touching I think. I think I agree with most else but I honestly think whatever I thinks gonna happen will 100% not happen.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think that regardless of some mishaps, the general plotting of the series has still had the momentum in the big picture to make this a big deal. Yeah Dorne happened, yeah some questionable things happened. At the end of the day we are finally getting Jon and Dany vs the white Walkers and probably finally a reckoning with Cersei Lannister for the throne.
    Thematically (and logically) they should have dethroned Cersei first, she was never going to help them. But Cersei appears to have relegated the White Walkers to secondary threat because D&D turned Cersei into a psuedo Creator's Pet 🙄😒....imo

My predictions on who lives/dies/ends up where:

Danaerys Targaryen will sit on the Iron Throne by the time the final credits roll, but the audience will likely be concerned about this. She will have an heir in her child with Jon Snow. She will sentence Tyrion Lannister to death for betraying her (Tyrion may actually betray her or else be wrongly accused of something), likely for his involvement in Jon's death or else siding with Cersei. Anyway, Dany is responsible for Tyrion's death, and because of this audiences will turn against her.

Jon Snow (and likely Bran) will perish in the war against the Night King. Sansa Stark maintains her position as Lady of Winterfell but also claims strong ties to the Vale of Arryn and the Riverlands. In my opinion, Sansa becomes the biggest rival to Dany's power. Arya will marry Gendry, who becomes legitimized as the Lord of the Stormlands, kind of mirroring Robert Baratheon and Lynna Stark, and Robert's pledge to Ned to "join their Houses."

Yara Greyjoy becomes the ruler of the Iron Islands and transforms them into an independent kingdom, building her people up into a naval superpower. Theon will either die in the Great War or else live out his days serving both his sister and Sansa in an ambassador-like capacity.

Jaime Lannister will repeat history and kill Mad Queen Cersei and Qyburn. The Hound and the Mountain will kill each other in a duel to the death. Jaime survives and has a potential future with Brienne, ensuring that House Lannister continues on. Jaime will also ensure that Bronn's rags to riches story is completed in a spectacular fashion.

Others that die:
    Tormund
    Beric Dondarrion
    Dolorous Edd
    Rhaegal
    Jorah Mormont
    Podrick Payne
    Edmure Tully
    Robin Arryn
    Night King
    Melisandre
    Varys
    Euron Greyjoy
    Grey Worm
    Missandei
    Last edited by Hellion; 04-14-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

My predictions:

Jon and Dany fight off the Night King. Cersei sends troops to help after all but right after victory has her troops turn on Jon and Dany killing them. Jamie in horror at what Cersei has done then kills Cersei becoming the Queenslayer and then kills himself. Arya takes Cersei's face and becomes Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and as Cersei is remembered as the Queen who saved everyone and is revered. I don't expect a happy ending, this is Game of Thrones after all.

As to other characters:

Tormund and Brienne have giant babies.

Sansa and Gendry will meet, fall in love, and marry.

Sam will become Arch Maester for Arya.

Theon will die saving Yara.

Bronn will continue to be awesome.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 04-14-2019 at 02:08 PM.

The Night King wins and everyone dies.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.