Page 411 of 555 FirstFirst ... 311361401407408409410411412413414415421461511 ... LastLast
Results 6,151 to 6,165 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Lol people are funny. I guess people are calling her a Mary sue now, and yea that little girl we saw training to be an assassin for years is a Mary sue.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The phrase "Mary Sue" is usually code now for "this isn't how I would have written the story, so it sucks."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I was speaking to the issue at large (when people assume that a group against something might be larger than it is, hence the reference to Captain Marvel), not specifically about GoT. And it wasn't a veiled insult; people should be smarter than that. People should be able to realize that "Hey, this group of people might not like something...but we also might be the minority in that opinion". We don't live in an age where getting information is difficult to do. We don't live in an age where we have to be insular.

For instance, you mentioned critics opinions' on the episode. What are your thoughts on the link I provided?
    And in regards to your link, i feel it sort of bolsters my point. Might not seem like it, but i liked the episode. I'd probably be considered part of the positive or mixed group. I mean, you had amazing dragon fights, awesome battle sequences, and some may not have liked it, the visibility issue i think felt like it really upped the tension. On your link, if you read the positive reviews some of them mentioned disappointment with the NK / white walker plotline. If you add those up with the mixed and negative, you have an overall mixed reaction to the white walker storyline.

The point that we can go tit for tat is my point... mixed reactions. This wasn't the universal hurrah or fist pump we got when Sansa let Ramseys dog at him, or Joffery being poisoned, and i would think that's what directors were going for with the death of the Night King. And it's not universal because no one liked it, lots of fans did, but what seems unexpected that a lot of fans also were disappointed with the outcome.

Ultimate Member

TBF, there have been complaints about Arya's characterization/writing since, at least Season 6. And her entire portrayal last season was even more controversial.

So it's nothing new really.

watch this reaction to that scene. Arya has flying powers..

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthron...medium=ios_app

Yes, some liked it, but many others didn't. It's a very mixed reaction to the episode.

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status...26029590589450
    Last edited by stargazer01; 05-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.

Ultimate Member

It was always going to be. After spending 8 seasons, since the first episode, building up the White Walkers, then to just kill them off after one episode. After all the stuff about Jon and the prophecy and the sword, having Arya kill TNK with her little dagger in the end, and having almost all of the major characters live through what was supposed to be the most difficult battle of their lives, etc. Yeah this episode was always going to be divisive.

Also then there's other stuff like the dumb tactics, wiping out the Dothraki in such an "iffy" way, etc.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    TBF, there have been complaints about Arya's characterization/writing since, at least Season 6. And her entire portrayal last season was even more controversial.

So it's nothing new really.
    Her and Bran (Bran especially) seemed to have a lost a good chunk of their humanity, which I can’t say I’m the biggest fan of. My favorite moments with both are when their humanity shines through. Araya being so happy to see Jon. Bran telling Theon he’s a good man. I wish episode 2 the stark siblings (I include Jon and Theon as part of the siblings) could have had a scene all sitting together reminiscing.
    Last edited by soccerguy951; 05-03-2019 at 11:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by soccerguy951 View Post
    Her and Bran (Bran especially) seemed to have a lost a good chunk of their humanity, which I can’t say I’m the biggest fan of. My favorite moments with both are when their humanity shines through. Araya being so happy to see Jon. Bran telling Theon he’s a good man. I wish episode 2 the stark siblings (I include Jon and Theon as part of the siblings) could have had a scene all sitting together reminiscing.
    That's a big point of the story though. The Stark's seperated in the first episode and each of them want on their own personal journey.

Jon the bastard became a king and the true heir to the Iron Throne and the hero who mounted the final stand to save the world.

Sansa the vain girl who lived to be groomed and married off to a lord grew up to become one of the cleverest operators in Westeros who is now the Matriarch of the Stark family similar to an Olenna type figure.

Arya the young tomboy grew up to become a master assassin who can kill anybody even death.

Bran the young adventureous boy effectively became a god.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    The NK was a big part of the story. "winter is coming." "winter is here."
    The NK was just the face of the White Walker threat. He hasn't even been in the books at any point and with us waiting on the second to last book, it's kind of doubtful he would be.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    I think the problem with the Arya jump attack wasn't the fact that she did it, but how it was done. It seemed like she jumped from twenty feet behind an army of zombies and generals only to have a cool knife trick. Part of me expected a cool zinger after he died.

I think there was a similar problem last season with the killing of littlefinger. The writers/directors wanted to have a surprise effect of wowing the audience with Sansas, "How do you plead......Littlefinger." So they had an Arya vs Sansa subplot that didn't make any sense, but without this, the death wouldn't be as cool.

It also seems like any criticism of the show or the death is just dismissed as you don't like it because you're sexist.
    There is definitley a shot of a whisp of wind passing one of the White Walkers and he turns around and then notices something moving past him. That obviously turns out to be Arya.

So no it's definitley implied in the show that she got in their at the last second and rushed passed the all.

That's not really a criticism if the evidence in the show is contrary to it

Ultimate Member

Honestly, from what I've observed, that just fits in with what the criticisms of her character have been for years now.

BANNED

And in regards to your link, i feel it sort of bolsters my point. Might not seem like it, but i liked the episode. I'd probably be considered part of the positive or mixed group. I mean, you had amazing dragon fights, awesome battle sequences, and some may not have liked it, the visibility issue i think felt like it really upped the tension. On your link, if you read the positive reviews some of them mentioned disappointment with the NK / white walker plotline. If you add those up with the mixed and negative, you have an overall mixed reaction to the white walker storyline.
    You were talking about overall satisfaction with the episode, citing a "50% disappointment rate". Now you're trying to spin things to make that seem true. El oh El. Some of the mixed reviews also praised the Arya bits.

The point that we can go tit for tat is my point... mixed reactions. This wasn't the universal hurrah or fist pump we got when Sansa let Ramseys dog at him, or Joffery being poisoned, and i would think that's what directors were going for with the death of the Night King. And it's not universal because no one liked it, lots of fans did, but what seems unexpected that a lot of fans also were disappointed with the outcome.
    Okay. Fans were disappointed. Again...okay.

Again, not shocking.

But also not the colossal failure some are trying to make it be.

I agree with all of that.

Would a producer of a TV show prefer that everyone liked their product? Sure, hell yeah! Is that feasible? Not in the least.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 05-04-2019 at 03:50 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    There is definitley a shot of a whisp of wind passing one of the White Walkers and he turns around and then notices something moving past him. That obviously turns out to be Arya.

So no it's definitley implied in the show that she got in their at the last second and rushed passed the all.

That's not really a criticism if the evidence in the show is contrary to it
    Bran's attention also diverts slightly, and the Night King seems to take notice during their stare-down.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Yeah, seemed pretty clear she darted past them and jumped.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM