Page 432 of 555 FirstFirst ... 332382422428429430431432433434435436442482532 ... LastLast
Results 6,466 to 6,480 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Just so you know episode 4 was reported to have over 2000 votes of 1 star hours before the episode aired.
    episode 4 leaked early.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I'm sorry, which part of the book's version of Euron was not ridiculous? He's a god damn sexy, magical, viking, pirate, ninja wizard.

If anything....he's LESS ridiculous.

Also, for anyone that thinks GRRM doesn't have his own host of problems I give you Jeyne Poole. Here's the truth - anything you think the show handled badly in terms of how gratuitous or sensitive it is? Boils down to the medium. Shock value in a book is limited by your imagination and that is almost always more limited than a visual medium. The books are full of gory, sexually explicit stuff that is completely unnecessary to the plot. Hell, if I read one more page about Dany having diarrhea I think I might burn the books. (If you want another dozen examples....I'll be more than happy)
    It isn't just that though, his weird teleporting stealth ships is just really contrived, and the actor is so over the top it's ridiculous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    It isn't just that though, his weird teleporting stealth ships is just really contrived, and the actor is so over the top it's ridiculous.
    Yeah, the ambushes are ridiculous. I think that's part of the short-cutting problem we are all seeing. But the actor is playing the character - the book Euron is a preposterous character too.

Yeah, the ambushes are ridiculous. I think that's part of the short-cutting problem we are all seeing. But the actor is playing the character - the book Euron is a preposterous character too.
    Shorts cuts aside, I do think Euron is actually a pretty effective villain. He definately gets under your skin. You want to see the guy put down, perhaps even more than Cersi at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    D&D are just not good as good at writing female characters as GRRM is, and most of the first seasons was originally GRRM's writing.
    Like when Danerys raped her female slave in the books? Yeah that was such great writing by GRRM. Yes in the book its written off as consensual but she was Danerys's slave and property can't consent any more than a juvenile can.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Yeah, the ambushes are ridiculous. I think that's part of the short-cutting problem we are all seeing.
    Who's fault is that though?

The problem is that one group of people watching the show see a lot of inconsistencies (as far as character behavior), plot armor out the wazoo, villain Sue Euron, Diabalous Ex Machinas (in terms of Dani's situation) and Euron's "teleporting stealth ships of DOOOOM", shocking swerves, dumb military tactics (for the sake of convenience), and characters being conveniently dumb.

While everyone else watching this show is like "this is fine".

....ooookay

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Who's fault is that though?

The problem is that one group of people watching the show see a lot of inconsistencies (as far as character behavior), plot armor out the wazoo, villain Sue Euron, Diabalous Ex Machinas (in terms of Dani's situation) and Euron's "teleporting stealth ships of DOOOOM", shocking swerves, dumb military tactics (for the sake of convenience), and characters being conveniently dumb.

While everyone else watching this show is like "this is fine".

....ooookay
    You're right and I don't know whose to blame. As I said upthread, I'd like to know why they felt the need to condense so much of the ending. I have the feeling the producers and actors wanted to move on, otherwise I'm not sure there is a valid reason.

I worry public sentiment is souring. My wife is not a book reader, loves the show, but has come away from the last two episodes saying "downhill".

I've struggled to disagree with her.
    Last edited by Theleviathan; 05-07-2019 at 07:01 PM.

If Cersei had Tyrion and Varys as advisors Dani would be on the Iron Throne by now.
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

BANNED

You're right and I don't know whose to blame. As I said upthread, I'd like to know why they felt the need to condense so much of the ending. I have the feeling the producers and actors wanted to move on, otherwise I'm not sure there is a valid reason.

I worry public sentiment is souring. My wife is not a book reader, loves the show, but has come away from the last two episodes saying "downhill".

I've struggled to disagree with her.
    As usual, actors want to avoid being typecast or identified too strongly with a single role, and I'm sure most of them signed onto this project assuming it was just going to be an easy payday that they could use as a springboard toward more serious future gigs. But as is typical in these cases, most of the GoT cast is mistaken if they think the show is holding them back, because of the actors who made their names in this show, few of them are really strong enough performers to land roles that anyone will remember, and the smart career move is really to keep feeding the golden goose for as long as possible.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 05-07-2019 at 09:17 PM.

HAR! Book Euron is cool but silly. He wears an eye patch despite not actually missing an eye, like someone who's trying way too hard to be unique. I will admit that when he was introduced on the show in Season 6, the way D&D had him portrayed, I thought they were making some kind of commentary on Donald Trump.
    Last edited by Hellion; 05-07-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Imdb is not much trustful. Anyone can make any number of accounts and review bomb. RT on the other hand...

Untitled.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    If Cersei had Tyrion and Varys as advisors Dani would be on the Iron Throne by now.
    Seriously, she was way better off with Jorah giving her advice.

She needs to stop seeking their council and do what she thinks is best. Varys has already written her off and Tyrion clearly has a conflict of interests.

Dany is becoming a victim of plot and time constraints and it's really frustrating. She would handle all of this way differently.

She easily could just govern Westeros without King's Landing. Let Cersei hold herself up in that city with her expensive armies and her starving populace, while winter hits. It'd be very easy to convince the people to revolt.

The characters should move the plot, the plot shouldn't move the characters.

By and large I think D&D should get praised for bringing this show to air and creating a brilliant fantasy show that has become a TV juggernaut.

But I'd really like ot know what pressure caused them to rush things. Last season needed three more episodes centered on Dany and Jon and less ranging into the nothingness. This season should've been 95% Winterfell and the Night King with Cersei plotting as a filler. Then another season focused on Cersei. Meanwhile Dany's transformation from heroine to mad queen gets the legwork it really needs to be viable.

Pressing what should have been 30 episodes into 13? Woof. It's becoming a major issue with pacing and plotting and I fear it's only going to get worse.

So why the rush? Were they ready to move on? The actors and actresses were harder to get contracted? Not enough money?
    Yeah Dany and Jon needed a lot more room to develop their relationship on screen. I buy into it, as is- but still it needed to be fleshed out. This season and last season are just so damn rushed, which is a shame because the potential is there to just be damn near wonderful.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah Dany and Jon needed a lot more room to develop their relationship on screen. I buy into it, as is- but still it needed to be fleshed out. This season and last season are just so damn rushed, which is a shame because the potential is there to just be damn near wonderful.
    It's just weird to me that they chose to play the conflict surrounding Jon's parentage the way they are doing. The obvious, if cliched, angle of all the plotters and schemers trying to push him and Dany together for the sake of uniting the realm, and the two of them pushing back against it because they hate each other. If they actually love each other like the show is intent on telling us, then it shouldn't really matter who has the stronger claim. If history is any precedent joint rule is often quite a stable solution to dynastic woes, such as with Ferdinand and Isabella or William and Mary.