Page 443 of 555 FirstFirst ... 343393433439440441442443444445446447453493543 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,645 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I think these last two shortened seasons were HBO mandates and not something D&D necessarily wanted. If they were full length we would have had seven additional episodes--the better part of another full season-- which could have had a significant impact on how they handled the story. Just my observation/opinion; who knows really.
    HBO actually wanted more episodes. They were willing to give D&D all the resources. It's clear that it's D&D that just wants to be done with GoT.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    HBO actually wanted more episodes. They were willing to give D&D all the resources. It's clear that it's D&D that just wants to be done with GoT.
    Exactly, people point out that even in the after the episode segments D&D seems to be over it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Really? Wow, I could swear it was the other way around since they're the ones throwing the money around. Well, damn. I really don't even think this season is terrible, I just wished it was fleshed out more along with last season. It was jarring going from a relatively decompressed story, to having weeks or longer pass between scenes.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 05-12-2019 at 07:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member

There's two trains of thought on it. D&D always said they wanted it to be 7 seasons so they compromised on making 13 episodes going into the 7th season and splitting it across several years. Cool. HBO probably could have said no and got new showrunners but at that point it turns D&D into martyrs who had their show taken from them, actors who are now unhappy that the guys they signed up to work with are no longer there, AND you have new guys who have to finish the plot of an unfinished book and work with continuity they didn't have a hand in. Tough spot for HBO to be in.

Anyways episode 5 is currently rated 7.2 on IMDB despite it not coming out for 8 more hours

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    That's part of it, but the latter seasons, especially this one was a case of them just trying to get the show over with so they could **** up Star Wars and American history lol.
    No that's a big part of it. We have empiracle proof that they were arguably putting out the best show on television when they did what they actually signed up to do, which was adapt a book series. The issues with the show first started occuring in season 5 when they had to adapt the two most bloated and least liked books in the series (AFFC/ADWD) which happened to function as one supersized book split in two. Then season 6 finished off a lot of those storylines but that's when we really started seeing the faster pace D&D were moving at without the books, that's when travel time started being ignored and characters were just showing up places in record times. And now they are at a point where even the writer really doesn't now how he's getting to the end and they are just sort of doing all the big set pieces to finish off the story.

The reality is that once this show passed the books D&D only had the big plot points to work with and it became a show of big plot points and set pieces.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    No that's a big part of it. We have empiracle proof that they were arguably putting out the best show on television when they did what they actually signed up to do, which was adapt a book series. The issues with the show first started occuring in season 5 when they had to adapt the two most bloated and least liked books in the series (AFFC/ADWD) which happened to function as one supersized book split in two. Then season 6 finished off a lot of those storylines but that's when we really started seeing the faster pace D&D were moving at without the books, that's when travel time started being ignored and characters were just showing up places in record times. And now they are at a point where even the writer really doesn't now how he's getting to the end and they are just sort of doing all the big set pieces to finish off the story.

The reality is that once this show passed the books D&D only had the big plot points to work with and it became a show of big plot points and set pieces.
    IMO that's not mutually exclusive.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    IMO that's not mutually exclusive.
    I would have to disagree with that. It's very clear exactly where certain elements fans don't like started becoming more prominent. That started in season 5 and grew in season 6. The last two seasons just sort of dropped the pretenses because they have progressively had less narrative to work with

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    There's two trains of thought on it. D&D always said they wanted it to be 7 seasons so they compromised on making 13 episodes going into the 7th season and splitting it across several years. Cool. HBO probably could have said no and got new showrunners but at that point it turns D&D into martyrs who had their show taken from them, actors who are now unhappy that the guys they signed up to work with are no longer there, AND you have new guys who have to finish the plot of an unfinished book and work with continuity they didn't have a hand in. Tough spot for HBO to be in.

Anyways episode 5 is currently rated 7.2 on IMDB despite it not coming out for 8 more hours
    I wonder why there is more acrimony between the show and Martin as the seasons progressed? Did they spurn him or was he butthurt that his story got away from him?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Theleviathan View Post
    I wonder why there is more acrimony between the show and Martin as the seasons progressed? Did they spurn him or was he butthurt that his story got away from him?
    My guess? Martin didn't want the criticism of writing material for episodes he had not had published in the books yet.

I'm still cracking the **** up

I feel like dude in the bottome left Corner (Dario?) Is coming back. I mean him and the second sons probaly show up as reinforcements.

If I'm being honest three people on there I dont even remember who they are. Two guys on bottom right and lady second from the top left.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

This episode was titled "Dracarys", Dragon Fire. They should've called this episode "Culling the Herd". Cheese and Fries! I hate what D&D did here and I hate knowing the spoilers for this season were mostly accurate so far.

Sigh...

Welcome to the disappointing final season club, GoT. You join Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Dexter, True Blood and others. You're in good (well, bad) company at least.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I'm still cracking the **** up

Nothing touches the first 3 books and the first 4 seasons of ASOIAF/GOT. Season 5 is where everything went down hill. I believe that is where D&D stopped collaborating with GRRM and GRRM stopped being a producer on the show.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I guess we got the “bad ending” this time, to put it in video game nomenclature.

How truly heartbreaking.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM