Page 450 of 555 FirstFirst ... 350400440446447448449450451452453454460500550 ... LastLast
Results 6,736 to 6,750 of 8323

Thread: Game of Thrones

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The backstory of the books is the exact same for the show. And these are all sentiments the showrunners have described as well and was used in promotional material for the early seasons. You're basing your entire opinion off the surface level which was meant to portray it from a perspective that was more sympathetic to Dany because you saw the tail end of Viserys decent and didn't see the part where he was basically playing dad to her. Which was the point. Surface level: he's a bad dude. Deeper context: a lot happened before that to get to that point and Dany does not survive without him.
    Dude you can apply that shit to Dani

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    To all the people who refused to believe Dany would go full-blown Mad Queen: Shame! Shame! Shame! Varys died for your sins.

The only scene that genuinely surprised me tonight was this exchange:

Qyburn: "Ser Gregor, get back here at once!"
    The Mountain: "You can't tell me how to live my life, dad!"
    The idea is that without Jorah her worst tenancies go out of control. Just look at what happened when he wasn’t around? Burnt the Tarlys to a crust despite Tyrion advising her to not do so. I bet Jorah would have talked her out of it.

Cause it's irrelevant question.
    It's not irrelevant, that's a fair question you can't answer.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The backstory of the books is the exact same for the show. And these are all sentiments the showrunners have described as well and was used in promotional material for the early seasons. You're basing your entire opinion off the surface level which was meant to portray it from a perspective that was more sympathetic to Dany because you saw the tail end of Viserys decent and didn't see the part where he was basically playing dad to her. Which was the point. Surface level: he's a bad dude. Deeper context: a lot happened before that to get to that point and Dany does not survive without him.
    It doesn't really matter what led him to becoming an abusive creep, he was an abusive creep.

So, yeah sure he kept her alive...so he could fondle her and ultimately sell her to the dothraki. Great!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Dude you can apply that shit to Dani
    Exactly. They both wound up being shitty people and Dany ended up being very similar to her father. It's just perspective wise we were given reasons for why it turned out that way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    The idea is that without Jorah her worst tenancies go out of control. Just look at what happened when he wasn’t around? Burnt the Tarlys to a crust despite Tyrion advising her to not do so. I bet Jorah would have talked her out of it.
    Tarly's would have never taken the black tho.

Exactly. They both wound up being shitty people and Dany ended up being very similar to her father. It's just perspective wise we were given reasons for why it turned out that way.
    That's not what I meant, but whatever. Die on your hill man. It's not that serious.

Tarly's would have never taken the black tho.
    The Tarlys were also really shitty.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It doesn't really matter what led him to becoming an abusive creep, he was an abusive creep.

So, yeah sure he kept her alive...so he could sell her to the dothraki. Great!
    It does matter why. Same reason it matters why Dany became the way she was. They weren't that different in the long run. And no he didn't keep her alive to sell her to Dothraki. He never intended to sell her to Dothraki. He literally raised her from the time she was an infant to her early teens on his own, with the intention that they would someday get their home back.

Again your taking a very simplistic approach to a more complicated story that is precisely designed to be more complicatd

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    To all the people who refused to believe Dany would go full-blown Mad Queen: Shame! Shame! Shame! Varys died for your sins.
    I don't care about that. I just care that it was sloppily written.

It does matter why. Same reason it matters why Dany became the way she was. They weren't that different in the long run. And no he didn't keep her alive to sell her to Dothraki. He never intended to sell her to Dothraki. He literally raised her from the time she was an infant to her early teens on his own, with the intention that they would someday get their home back.

Again your taking a very simplistic approach to a more complicated story that is precisely designed to be more complicatd
    He sold her to the Dothraki. He was an abusive creep leading up to selling her off. He just got pissed because he couldn't be a creepy bastard anymore and Drogo didn't care about listening to him.

He wanted power for himself. She was an object to be used as currency for himself.

The point is, she didn't owe him anything.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Dickon was ok though, his dad was just a idiot who wouldn't surrender.

Extraordinary Member

It's not irrelevant, that's a fair question you can't answer.
    It is irrelevant but I answered it anyways even if you want to pretend that I didn't. Once Drogo was dead, why didn't Dany just sell her Dragons to Illyrio or someone else with a shit ton of money and just buy a House in Braavos or something? There's no reason why that wasn't an option. I'll give you that she was stuck with the Dothraki, but once Drogo died, she very easily could have left with Jorah, that was another option for as well. She also very easily could have interceded in Viserys death. She had choices along the way. It was never all or nothing

Extraordinary Member

So every character who was ever mean once deserves to die? Dickon was not even remotely shitty btw. He just wouldn't let his father die alone

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Oh, I've always figured Jorah was essentially her conscience. Without him around, I knew her character was destined for a tragic end.

I'm just disappointed the writing wasn't more nuanced. Everything that happened tonight was clearly telegraphed ages in advance. Of course Varys would be wrongfully executed. Of course Jaime was going to fight and kill Euron to become a Kingslayer twice over. Of course the Hound and the Mountain were going to die fighting each other. Of course the Golden Company would prove as useless as the Tyrell army. Of course Arya's plot armor would be strong enough to repel falling debris, dragonflame (now with concussive force!), and a stampede of a million people losing their goddamn minds. Of course Jon Snow remains Emo Snow. This was visually interesting, and I prefer it to the Battle for Winterfell two episodes ago, but it's still standard storytelling fare for this season.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci